Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imperial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
London
Hi...

I had bought my first Apple computer by trying MacBook to see if it is suitable for me.

And right not i can't wait to get the pro version of it. When you guy think macbook pro will release the new design?

Retired
May 16, 2006
According to the Buyers Guide, the MBP has gone 95 days since an update, while the average is 186 days. Thats a reasonable guess I think, but there is a chance of a new design to be co-released with Leopard (likely very late October) :)

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
No, that is really unlikely. Most sources say some time in january. it is possible there will be a macbook upgrade with leopard, but that is just speculation.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Considering Santa Rosa and LED displays were recently added to the MBP I wouldn't expect another updated MBP anytime soon. Right now I think Apple's priority is the release of the already delayed Leopard.

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
I think you need to ask yourself "If apple did upgrade the MBP what would they upgrade in it?" Seems like there isn't any new processor chips, LED are pretty new... maybe a BTO option for blueray?? Seems doubtful that they will update the MBP anytime soon.

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
You won't be expecting Macbook Pro updates till early 2008 (Jan most prolly).

Apple's priority list:
1. Leopard
2. Macbook update
3. Macbook Pro update

Expect 1. & 2. to coincide together.

But they might give a speed bump to the MBP. Who knows?

My suggestion is, if you want to get the MBP, buy now n purchase Leopard separately.
If you want to get the Macbook, wait for Leopard + a few months (till next udpate).

jjjaxon

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
IF a MBP update were to happen soon, are most product updates announced at an Apple event? If so, what events are coming up between now and November?

I'm thinking about buying once the Leopard release date is announced. Do most people think that will be next week at the Paris Expo?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
IF a MBP update were to happen soon, are most product updates announced at an Apple event? If so, what events are coming up between now and November?

It doesn't always have to be tied to an event. I think that the mbps will only see a minor HD bump (perhaps faster and slightly more capacity) before Christmas. I think this "update" will be fairly silent; it hasn't happend too often in the past, but it has happened. This is the only way I see Apple having a competitive macbook pro for Christmas, and still updating them properly in January.

colto

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
I think you need to ask yourself "If apple did upgrade the MBP what would they upgrade in it?" Seems like there isn't any new processor chips, LED are pretty new... maybe a BTO option for blueray?? Seems doubtful that they will update the MBP anytime soon.

Hmm I dunno....it's not like Intel doesn't have a 45nm architecture named Penryn coming out anytime soon...oh wait.:eek:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
and what other laptop comes close?

Well Sony does a good job being competitive. I don't want to bother right now, but I'm sure I could configure a Vaio with similar stats and with similar weight/size around 2k. And besides, within a few months, there will be many more notebooks that will become competitive with the current mbps.

Ken Wind

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
Well Sony does a good job being competitive. I don't want to bother right now, but I'm sure I could configure a Vaio with similar stats and with similar weight/size around 2k. And besides, within a few months, there will be many more notebooks that will become competitive with the current mbps.

Sony doesn't have anything close to the MBP in their lineup right now. Something comparable would be the HP 8510w (and 8510p), Lenovo Thinkpad T61p, and a couple Asus notebooks (G1s, V1s, G2s, W2w). All of them, including the MBP, have their strengths and weaknesses.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Sony doesn't have anything close to the MBP in their lineup right now. Something comparable would be the HP 8510w (and 8510p), Lenovo Thinkpad T61p, and a couple Asus notebooks (G1s, V1s, G2s, W2w). All of them, including the MBP, have their strengths and weaknesses.

This notebook comes pretty close (the CPU is one notch lower, but that's usually only about $100-200 more, which still leaves it under the mbp). A few specs adjusted here and there, and we have a mbp equal. The Vaios are also lighter than other notebooks of similar power. Their weight is usually pretty close to the mbps.

Ken Wind

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
You can match up the processors, but the highest video card you can configure in a FZ is the 8400M GT. I doubt it has DDR3 like the 8600M GT in the MBP. It does come close though, you're right.

I was thinking of notebooks with the same amount of power as the MBP.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
You can match up the processors, but the highest video card you can configure in a FZ is the 8400M GT. I doubt it has DDR3 like the 8600M GT in the MBP. It does come close though, you're right.

I was thinking of notebooks with the same amount of power as the MBP.

Well, I could have spent more time and configured a notebook to be just like the mbp (which I'm sure a serious buyer would do before putting down his money). The point is, all Mac products go through three distinct phases:

Phase 1: Superior: The product has just been updated, and there's no better deal out there in terms of power, size, and price (when all three are indexed). This is obviously the best time to buy.

Phase 2: Parity: The product has become the industry average for price and power (the mbps are always slightly lighter, so we'll omit that). This phase is the longest in the update cycle, and where the macbook pro is now.

Phase 3: Inferior: The product has become aged and is need of an update. Other computer makers are doing better in terms of price, power, and other minor features. This is usually 5 months after an update, and lasts until the product is updated. If the current mbp is left alone, it will be inferior for Christmas-not a good sign.

Scottyfrombi

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
While you're correct about the three phases, but this kind of assumes that the reason to buy a MBP or any computer is to win some sort of race to be the fastest, strongest, or best overall. If and when I buy a computer, it is because it allows me to use the available software to do something, such as edit photos, surf the web, watch movies, create websites, track finances, etc.

While everyone wants to get the best value for thier money, what is more important, is will your purchased computer allow you to do the thing you want to accomplish with the computer you purchased.

The one area that may be an exception with today's technology is in gaming. I am not a gamer, but I understand that game software is very demanding and keeps getting more so with every generation of new 3D game variant. If you are buying your computer for gaming, good luck keeping up with the cycle of software leapfrogging computer capabilities. I suggest you invest in an Xbox or Playstation since they are much cheaper to keep upgrading than computers.

However if you are editing photos or blogging or watching movies or shopping on Amazon, I think any computer you buy today will meet your needs for the forseeable future. I have heard the average notebook lifespan is 4-5 years and for table tops about 5-6 years.

The one area where my MBP might be weakest is in the hard drive capacity, but with the excellent external hd's available, this is not a reason to wait. It also is not a good idea to store everything in your computer in case of failure anyway.

I say, if you need a computer, pick the size and speed available that suits your needs and buy it without looking back. If you are buying a computer to play Halo 3, Xbox might be a better way to go.

Best of luck to all in your choice.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
While you're correct about the three phases, but this kind of assumes that the reason to buy a MBP or any computer is to win some sort of race to be the fastest, strongest, or best overall. If and when I buy a computer, it is because it allows me to use the available software to do something, such as edit photos, surf the web, watch movies, create websites, track finances, etc.

While everyone wants to get the best value for thier money, what is more important, is will your purchased computer allow you to do the thing you want to accomplish with the computer you purchased.

The one area that may be an exception with today's technology is in gaming. I am not a gamer, but I understand that game software is very demanding and keeps getting more so with every generation of new 3D game variant. If you are buying your computer for gaming, good luck keeping up with the cycle of software leapfrogging computer capabilities. I suggest you invest in an Xbox or Playstation since they are much cheaper to keep upgrading than computers.

However if you are editing photos or blogging or watching movies or shopping on Amazon, I think any computer you buy today will meet your needs for the forseeable future. I have heard the average notebook lifespan is 4-5 years and for table tops about 5-6 years.

The one area where my MBP might be weakest is in the hard drive capacity, but with the excellent external hd's available, this is not a reason to wait. It also is not a good idea to store everything in your computer in case of failure anyway.

I say, if you need a computer, pick the size and speed available that suits your needs and buy it without looking back. If you are buying a computer to play Halo 3, Xbox might be a better way to go.

Best of luck to all in your choice.

I'm just using the phases to describe the "best" time to buy. Naturally, the best time for any individual to buy is when they need a new computer. Now, for what you described above, a general consumer could pick up a macbook(except if they want to game) at any time and wouldn't have to care as much about when it's going to become "obsolete" (I use that term loosely; none of the macbooks that has been released thus far has become obsolete yet) because the cost of a macbook is dramatically less. For someone who is putting down more than two thousand dollars, knowing when to buy can help stretch the proverbial dollar.

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
New 12-Inch MacBook Pro Mini

Here's an excerpt from my talk with an Apple rep about the new Macbookpromini. Or MacBook Pro Mini as the name will likely appear.

You: One last quickie.

Nadine: Sure

You: Pretend with me here. If you were me, and you had heard these unconfirmed and probably unsubstantiated comments, would you risk buying now or maybe wait 20 days to see if the middle of the month brought something? Since your iBook wasn't dead yet and you're not doing much battery-only work anyhow?

Nadine: Just another minute...

You: No problem.

Nadine: I might try to find out more from Apple.

You: How could I do that?

You: I thought you were the path to Apple?

Nadine: Just continue to visit the site and ask like you are now.

Nadine: Besides Apple makes CNN on a regular basis.

Nadine: You will hear the news.

You: So I should come back every day?

Nadine: I do not like to speculate.

You: That's fine.

Nadine: Yes I would.

Nadine: You never know.

You: Thanks very much.

If I'm to read into that, she's saying that definitely, we're getting a 12-inch MacBook Pro Mini in mid October.

woodsea

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
WOW,
I got nothing out of that mishmash of she said/you said. It's always better to wait, that way you will never have anything obsolete. But, then you have a boat load of money and nothing to show for it.

minis2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2007
from what you and she said really does not tell me anything that is coming in Oct other then 10.5
:Di think it would be best to buy after 10.5 is released. i about a MacBook 2 weeks ago (trying out the switch from Windows) and if i could do it over again i would have waiting until 10.5 is out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.