Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wa2be

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
I upgraded to iOS 13 last night. Playing around with the new Reminders app, I noticed that the Flagged and Camera buttons on the toolbar are grayed out. Also, in the MacRumors user guide for Reminders it says that you can swipe any task to the right to make it a subtask under the one above it. On my phone, I'm not able to swipe to the right on tasks, nothing happens. Swiping left gets me a delete button, swiping right does nothing. Are these all features that will show up in 13.1?

wa2be

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Works fine on mine. Might try restarting.
I tried restarting, and I also tried deleting the reminders app and downloading it new from the App store. Same things is happening. Also the "Add Groups" feature on the home page, when you hit Edit, is grayed out. So I can't create grouped lists like I'm supposed to.

Itada

macrumors member
Does your My Lists section on the main view have a blue "Upgrade" button next to it?

If it does, it means you haven't yet upgraded your existing reminders database to the new version that's required for those features. But if you have a Mac or iPad you may wish to hold off until macOS Catalina and iPadOS 13.1 are released, as the previous versions can't access reminders created in the new database.

Otherwise... just more bugs perhaps? At least iOS 13.1 is released in a couple of days.

Reactions: Skoal

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Are you using icloud for your reminders? None of the new features are compatible with exchange accounts, for example.

wa2be

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Does your My Lists section on the main view have a blue "Upgrade" button next to it?

If it does, it means you haven't yet upgraded your existing reminders database to the new version that's required for those features. But if you have a Mac or iPad you may wish to hold off until macOS Catalina and iPadOS 13.1 are released, as the previous versions can't access reminders created in the new database.

Otherwise... just more bugs perhaps? At least iOS 13.1 is released in a couple of days.
This did the trick! Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Itada

cenren

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I have the same problem (grouping reminder lists and nesting reminder items is not working. "Add Group" is greyed out. Nesting gestures are not working) only there is no "Upgrade" button for me. I've never sync'd my reminders to iCloud. I'm running 13.1 on iPhone 8. If anyone has a solution please let me know. Having these abilities for Reminders would be a game-changer for me.

cenren

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I have the same problem (grouping reminder lists and nesting reminder items is not working. "Add Group" is greyed out. Nesting gestures are not working) only there is no "Upgrade" button for me. I've never sync'd my reminders to iCloud. I'm running 13.1 on iPhone 8. If anyone has a solution please let me know. Having these abilities for Reminders would be a game-changer for me.

UPDATE: Running 13.1.1 (the latest at the time of this writing). I tried the following to no avail...
  • Deleted all my reminder lists, rebooted phone, created new lists
    • Unable to group lists or nest reminders
  • Deleted all lists, toggled on Reminders in the iCloud preference (allowing my reminder lists to sync to iCloud (Note: at the time of this writing Reminders appears twice in the iCould preference page. I toggled both)), opened Reminders app, this time I got the "Upgrade" button, upgraded
    • Able to group lists and nest reminders
  • Toggled off Reminders in the iCloud preference
    • All lists disappeared
  • Created new lists
    • Unable to group lists or nest reminders
So it looks like the ability to group lists and nest reminders is only available if Reminders is being sync'd with iCloud. That's so dumb! I don't see why the structure of reminders has to have any dependency on whether a copy of the reminder list exists on the internet.

Itada

macrumors member
If I had to guess, it's because of what what nicho noted about Exchange: until it knows you're using iCloud for a list, it limits the functionality to what's compatible with syncing with other services like Exchange, so that if you were to enable syncing with such a service in the future your existing reminders won't lose information/functionality/their structure.

Apple has obviously decided that instead of letting you use all the new functionality and then having to provide a way to handle what will happen if you then later try to sync it with Exchange (e.g. you add a photo to a reminder, then turn on syncing with Exchange and it loses the photo), they'll prevent you doing it up front.

This makes sense, as the vast majority of people have Reminders syncing with iCloud (it's the default behaviour), so this is the trade off for the minority case. It's not like you're losing any existing functionality here, this is new functionality they're introducing. If it really is a "game changer" for you, toggle the Reminders switch on iCloud and enjoy all the new stuff.

cenren

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
If I had to guess, it's because of what what nicho noted about Exchange: until it knows you're using iCloud for a list, it limits the functionality to what's compatible with syncing with other services like Exchange, so that if you were to enable syncing with such a service in the future your existing reminders won't lose information/functionality/their structure.

Apple has obviously decided that instead of letting you use all the new functionality and then having to provide a way to handle what will happen if you then later try to sync it with Exchange (e.g. you add a photo to a reminder, then turn on syncing with Exchange and it loses the photo), they'll prevent you doing it up front.

This makes sense, as the vast majority of people have Reminders syncing with iCloud (it's the default behaviour), so this is the trade off for the minority case. It's not like you're losing any existing functionality here, this is new functionality they're introducing. If it really is a "game changer" for you, toggle the Reminders switch on iCloud and enjoy all the new stuff.
Thanks for replying and addressing the issue I raised! I can now see the reasoning behind the behavior. Your post also helped me realize the behavior is intentional and I should abandon hope that it would change in a future update. I’ve decided to keep tasks in the Notes app instead. It has its drawbacks but it supports notions of list grouping and task indentation. Thanks!

Reactions: Itada
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.