Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
I got my iPhone X battery replaced by an Apple Service Provider today.
Coconut Battery now tells me that the new battery was manufactured 2018-10-15.
The cycle count is 0.
The battery is at 98,7% of its designed capacity.

Is the new battery’s age of 969 days problematic? Should I complain?
I would expect the new battery to last 3-4years like the first one did. The fact that it’s already > 2,5years old worries me.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
Is it possible that spare parts (including batteries) are manufactured (and kept in shelves) while the device itself is manufactured? That would match the manufacturing date…

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I would raise the concern - worst thing is they say "it is what it is, no fresher parts available". Batteries DO degrade even if they're not used at all.

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Is it possible that spare parts (including batteries) are manufactured (and kept in shelves) while the device itself is manufactured? That would match the manufacturing date…
Yes it's possible and most likely the case unless its a third party battery, which i doubt because you changed it at an ASP. As long as the capacity is high and you didn't receive it with a low battery percentage you'll be fine. Batteries can be stored for a long time as long as they're stored properly with sufficient charge.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

jxrxme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
I did receive it with low battery percentage. iPhone couldn’t be switched on without a charger connected.

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
I did receive it with low battery percentage. iPhone couldn’t be switched on without a charger connected.
Okay, if that's the case did you talk to the ASP about that? Keep an eye on the battery health for a few days and see if it degrades after a few charges and keep the receipt for the job just in case.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
No, I didn’t talk with the ASP about that since I didn’t pick up the phone myself. I will check the battery health for the next days. Currently still restoring from backup…
I actually have a iPhone 8 with a new replacement battery from same ASP, too. Will check the battery age here ASAP.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
This is purely anecdotal, so your experience may or may not be the same.

I had a similar situation when Apple gave me a replacement unit for my 2016 SE. The unit was over a year old, and thus the battery in it was old. While it started out fine, it degraded to the point where I needed to replace the battery within a year.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
OP, I would maybe contact or speak with Apple.

I got a replacement XS Max recently and this phone's battery has a 300+mah over design capacity. So it's like a 104% battery.

IMO, you shouldn't get a 98% battery brand new.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
coconutBattery (Plus) tells me the minimal Voltage was 2,65V.
If I'm not wrong a deep discharge starts at 2,5V - so the battery could be fine.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-10 um 21.34.27.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-10 um 21.34.27.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 49
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.