Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraLEL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Hello guys!
I'm a owner of new rMBP 2015,that i have bought last summer. So to be honest,more than half time(I think better to say 80-90%) that was gone,my rMBP wasn't used.
Now i'm little bit afraid about my battery,because it wasn't discharged ever(from the begining i have charged to full and got only 2 cycle count).

Now when i'm doing some stuff on laptop,i put always charger and work with 100% charged battery.
Also,on my laptop installed application that's called iStat,so it shows that battery have 100% Capacity.
I googled some information and have found another great app that called FruitJuice.(Specially for handle rMBP battery life).

So i have been immediately installed that app.I saw weird behaviour,because it added from the first start +1cycle count(current is 3 cycles count) and now doing "maintenance cycle in-progress". Also,this app shows,that is 101% of original Capacity.

So i would like to get Pro tips and advices from you guys!

1. What should i do to save my battery?
  2. What is algorithm of correct(Properly) using rMBP battery?
  3. Should i disconnect my rMBP's power cord when battery is fully charged?
  4. Is this a good practice to stay always with charger and don't work directly from battery?
  5. Do i need to discharge battery to zero every month ?

PS Sorry for my english skills.

ytech

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2015
Hello guys!
I'm a owner of new rMBP 2015,that i have bought last summer. So to be honest,more than half time(I think better to say 80-90%) that was gone,my rMBP wasn't used.
Now i'm little bit afraid about my battery,because it wasn't discharged ever(from the begining i have charged to full and got only 2 cycle count).

Now when i'm doing some stuff on laptop,i put always charger and work with 100% charged battery.
Also,on my laptop installed application that's called iStat,so it shows that battery have 100% Capacity.
I googled some information and have found another great app that called FruitJuice.(Specially for handle rMBP battery life).

So i have been immediately installed that app.I saw weird behaviour,because it added from the first start +1cycle count(current is 3 cycles count) and now doing "maintenance cycle in-progress". Also,this app shows,that is 101% of original Capacity.

So i would like to get Pro tips and advices from you guys!

1. What should i do to save my battery?
  2. What is algorithm of correct(Properly) using rMBP battery?
  3. Should i disconnect my rMBP's power cord when battery is fully charged?
  4. Is this a good practice to stay always with charger and don't work directly from battery?
  5. Do i need to discharge battery to zero every month ?

PS Sorry for my english skills.
I wouldnt leave it plugged all of the time. li-ion/poly batteries will lose capacity without being used and charged to 4.2v per cell all the time.
Consider 15%-20% as 0% , li-ion/poly batteries don't like to be fully discharge or charge. They are comfortable around 3.7v per cell. You should cycle the battery to see a more accurate capacity of it...
In other words, use your battery...

UltraLEL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
I wouldnt leave it plugged all of the time. li-ion/poly batteries will lose capacity without being used and charged to 4.2v per cell all the time.
Consider 15%-20% as 0% , li-ion/poly batteries don't like to be fully discharge or charge. They are comfortable around 3.7v per cell. You should cycle the battery to see a more accurate capacity of it...
In other words, use your battery...
Hi there.
Thanks for the reply.
So in nutshell,i need to use my battery,until it go to 15-20% and after this,i need to charge again battery >90%?(not 100%) ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
  • What should i do to save my battery?
  • What is algorithm of correct(Properly) using rMBP battery?
  • Should i disconnect my rMBP's power cord when battery is fully charged?
  • Is this a good practice to stay always with charger and don't work directly from battery?
  • Do i need to discharge battery to zero every month ?

1. Don't worry about it. Just use it in battery when you need to be portable and leave it plugged in otherwise.

2. You do not need to to anything. The battery will take care of itself.

3. No. Leave it plugged in if you do not need to be portable. The charger will stop charging when the battery is full.

4. Like I said, use it on battery if you need to be portable. Otherwise plug it in.

5. No. Do not do this. All it does is add extra and unnecessary charge cycles to the battery.

Here is Apple's official battery info.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.