Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoiceVote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Hi folks,

I'm looking to replace my first-generation Time Capsule (circa 2008) with something new that supports 802.11ac. I'd like to keep the convenience of wireless Time Machine backups, but the most recent Time Capsule is really expensive (~$300) and likely to be discontinued soon.

Is there any new non-Apple hardware out there that would do the job for cheaper? For example, an 802.11ac router that I could plug into a wired hard drive? Or perhaps a Wi-Fi enabled hard drive that I could connect to my wi-fi network? And are either of these setups compatible with Time Machine?

Thanks!

alansaysstop

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Roseville
I'm a firm believer in if it's not broke don't fix it. I have the most recent Time Capsule, and though its really expensive it does its job. It acts a decent 802.11ac router and "just works" for time machine backups. Maybe someone can comment on their set up, but most decent 802.11ac routers are at least north of $100.

Anubis1347

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
I bought a refurbished Airport Extreme and use my old Time Capsule (upgraded to 8TB) to extend my network. You could also use an external HDD with the Airport Extremes.

After a quick search for routers that support HFS+, it looks like they're easily in the price range of a refurbished Airport Extreme.

Last edited:

VoiceVote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Thanks, folks. I thought about it and decided to buy a used or refurbished 5th-gen Time Capsule. I'm running a bit of a risk that Apple might terminate software support for it, but it seems like the simplest option and the price ($175 refurbished, $125-$150 used) is good enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.