Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirby1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Hey guys, have a quick question about getting a new router. I was wondering if getting a new router would increase my internet connection at all, and increase my connection in wow(cause it sucks) I hav an old linksys wireless G Broadband router and was thinking of getting the "Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router". I cant really get my old one to work bc its not compatible with a mac and i couldnt install the disc but the new one im looking at is compatible, so i was wondering if that would help. Btw if u want to see the one im looking at its here http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT610N Need suggestions!!!

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Your old one is Mac friendly. The software that came with it might not run on a Mac, but it has a web interface that you use to configure it.

As for speed, a new router really won't help because your slowest connection is going to be your internet connection. Wireless N is certainly faster than wireless G, but wireless G is faster than your broadband connection, even with the latest greatest 50Gb cable/FIOS stuff. An N router would make your in-house wireless faster, but not help with your WOW.

kirby1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
thanx for the input, got ne suggestions how i can make wow run faster, bc my regular internet speed it good but in wow its horrible. someone told me that wow is running slow bc my NAT is on moderate, is that true???

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you run a N router on N only at 5ghz, it reduces interference.
Run WPA2 to reduce any chance of hacking.

I suggest Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station or read on reviews on the N routers, as many aren't that great.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
How fast is your internet connection? That is the bottle neck, not the router.

Along the same line of reasoning, I think I'll trade in my old pickup truck for a Corvette. That way I can get to work quicker in the morning. It won't work.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Hey guys, have a quick question about getting a new router. I was wondering if getting a new router would increase my internet connection at all, and increase my connection in wow(cause it sucks) I hav an old linksys wireless G Broadband router and was thinking of getting the "Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router". I cant really get my old one to work bc its not compatible with a mac and i couldnt install the disc but the new one im looking at is compatible, so i was wondering if that would help. Btw if u want to see the one im looking at its here http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT610N Need suggestions!!!

Honestly having a different router even with the spiffy new N wouldn't necessarily help your connection with WoW (even though I think linsys routers suck ass from personal experience). A quick google search for forwarding/opening ports for WoW should give you some ideas as to what ports to open for WoW so you might have a better ping. If you are playing across wireless try eliminating things like cordless phones and metal objects (desks, cages) etc between you and the router. If in doubt try and run cat5 cable (Ethernet) from your router to your PC and see if that clears up any latency issues.

Hope that helps.

You might also try updating your routers firmware, I vaguely remember how to do it on the linksys I'm not entirely sure if theres a way for the router to check and maybe download it or if you had to go to the linksys website, go to support, find your router model and download the updated firmware. Don't worry about the software that came with the router anyways its next to worthless anyways and you really have to treat the router as a separate device that you access remotely with your browser (safari, firefox etc).

If you do end up getting a new router for what ever reason go with a DLink.. I got a DIR-655 with wireless N and so far its been nothing but joy to use online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.