Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
For fairness, that diagram left out this 2006 Samsung all-touch phone:

View attachment 349792

I think they did a lot of that at first, but have evolved to their own look now. Samsungs also have larger screens and are thinner and lighter.

Besides, if we're talking about curved rectangles, edge, metal bands, colors... then we should bring up this 2005 Windows CE phone, which the iPhone 4 resembles:

View attachment 349789

Or this 2006 fan concept:

View attachment 349790
Wow that's one phone that the iPhone resembles, can you explain the many many Android phones that are copying Apple? Besides, that windows phone is ugly.
The 4 was a reinvented design of the 3G, I don't think Apple had that windows CE phone in mind while they were designing, I mean honestly...

Samsungs designs have changed rapidly since the 4/4S, please just admit it.

Thank you for trying to prove a point but failing. Point blank guys, Apple is the trendsetter, let's just call it like it is.

You guys can continue to bring up pointless facts/opinions that prove nothing though if you'd like...

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
The 2006 Samsung z610, some tech sites reviews said in 2006..

Samsung Z610 takes after the iPod
"Samsung has a brand new cellphone in the form of the Z610 that was recently approved by the FCC. This new handset boasts a minimalist design that takes after Apple’s uber-successful iPod line of MP3 players. The Z610 comes in a glossy white exterior that screams of fingerprint magnet which is punctuated by chrome accents at strategic places. Dedicated music playback buttons are included to cater for those who rely on cellphones as their primary audio device. A microSD slot is available for you to carry all your favorite tunes, while other notable multimedia features include a 2 megapixel camera behind and a VGA camera in front for video calls. The pricing and availability of this 3G handset is currently unknown"

"Samsung is knocking on the cellphone styling door from all angles, and now it's following the iPod's lead, imitating the familiar creamy white form factor. We get this sneak peek at the Samsung Z610 as it begins to pass muster with the FCC, so we might be seeing this attractive little bauble by the end of the year.

The 3G-supporting slider handset has a mildly respectable spec list, with a 2-megapixel camera, a microSD expansion slot, and the capability of playing MP3/WMA/AAC audio files. Expect to see more music-capable phones with high-style design as we get closer to the inevitable mobile music phone launch from Apple. – Charlie White"

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/29/samsungs-touchscreen-sgh-z610-sees-fcc-approval/

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Wow that's one phone that the iPhone resembles, can you explain the many many Android phones that are copying Apple? Besides, that windows phone is ugly.

Hey, a lot of people here claimed the iPhone 4 was ugly, too :)

Your point is valid about companies closely following the iPhone style at first.

Samsungs designs have changed rapidly since the 4/4S, please just admit it.

I don't think you meant this, but you're right: any phone makers who were still mimicking Apple when the iPhone 4 came out, stopped following them after that.

Intead of copying the small screen industrial chunk look of the 4/4S for their flagship phones, most of them went larger, thinner, lighter, more curved.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The iPhone's look is an evolution of the iPod through and through, which goes back to 2001.

Notice the theme from beginning to end. A curved rectangle with a screen and a circle underneath.

6a00e55225079e8834014e5f76eaea970c-320wi.jpg

6a00e55225079e8834014e5f76f5d1970c-320wi.jpg

6a00e55225079e8834014e865150fb970d-320wi.jpg

ipod-touch.jpg

2010 4/4S
step0-iphone4s-gallery-image4

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Intead of copying the small screen industrial chunk look of the 4/4S for their flagship phones, most of them went larger, thinner, lighter, more curved.
They can go as large, thin, light and curvy as they want. They are still very closely resembling the iPhone.

If they hadnt gone bigger, thinner with larger displays they would have no doubt been accused of downright copying.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The iPhone's look is an evolution of the iPod through and through, which goes back to 2001.

Notice the theme from beginning to end. A curved rectangle with a screen and a circle underneath.

Oh, there's no doubt that Jon Ive, a disciple of Dieter Rams, has long been in love with his simple rounded rectangle:

dieter-apple2.png

That's a good observation about the circle underneath theme, btw.

Likewise, Samsung has long favored a large central button as a focal point on their phones (see some examples in batting1000's post above).

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Likewise, Samsung has long favored a large central button as a focal point on their phones (see some examples in batting1000's post above).

I think that is true, but it was Apple that made minimalism and iPod DNA the de facto standard that we see in the "post PC era."

Especially the proliferation of stark white devices.

For those of us that are old enough to remember what designs were like before the iPod...

archos_jukeboxrecorder.jpg

rio.jpg

SamsungPhotoYEPP.jpg

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Again, I am not trying to start a fight... but has anyone seen this commercial and know what I'm talking about? The Android users always come over here and claim that Samsung doesnt try to copy whatsoever, but that commercial speaks otherwise.

Forget what android users and apple users say because such broad populations are bound to have a couple of bad apples. Reasonable people will say that all companies copy to one degree or another, and that's all your need to know :D

kdarling

macrumors P6
This explains it:
samsung_before_after.png
Yes, that's the cherry-picked diagram that Apple uses.

Samsung has their own diagram presented as evidence in court (sorry, best image I could get from the doc), showing internal R&D from 2006:
2006_samsung_designs.png
They can go as large, thin, light and curvy as they want. They are still very closely resembling the iPhone.

They also resemble the Prada, or that Pidion (which helped Apple lose a design injunction case in the Netherlands last January), and other rounded rectangular designs with metal bezels that go back decades.

Apple wasn't the first to come up with this shape. They made it popular. That's not very defendable unless it was a major advertising point (which it wasn't). So Apple's next step will be to try to prove all around look and feel, which is difficult, too. We're still waiting for those trials to begin.

In the meantime, we should all enjoy our phones :)

Cheers!

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
View attachment 349874
Yes, that's the cherry-picked diagram that Apple uses.

Samsung has their own diagram presented as evidence in court (sorry, best image I could get from the doc), showing internal R&D from 2006:
View attachment 349873

They also resemble the Prada, or that Pidion (which helped Apple lose a design injunction case in the Netherlands last January), and other rounded rectangular designs with metal bezels that go back decades.

Apple wasn't the first to come up with this shape. They made it popular. That's not very defendable unless it was a major advertising point (which it wasn't). So Apple's next step will be to try to prove all around look and feel, which is difficult, too. We're still waiting for those trials to begin.

In the meantime, we should all enjoy our phones :)

Cheers!
But I'm not talking decades ago, I'm talking in the recent years, in the recent boom of mobile phones. You keep bringing up the far away past. It's completely near irrelevant. You're trying to evade the truth.

This might be a stupid thing to bring up, but how about the Galaxy OEM charger, the black USB cube, what does that look like? It's little things like that...

Ironically there is a post a few posts down with an article about how Google is warning Samsung to stop copying Apple. The article says basically what I've been saying in this entire thread.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
But I'm not talking decades ago, I'm talking in the recent years, in the recent boom of mobile phones. You keep bringing up the far away past. It's completely near irrelevant. You're trying to evade the truth.

I also brought up 2006 and 2005 designs. The comment about decades was emphasis on how old the design is.

This might be a stupid thing to bring up, but how about the Galaxy OEM charger, the black USB cube, what does that look like? It's little things like that...

Now you're scraping the barrel. I have both types of chargers, and they're really not that similar. The Samsung model has a nice big lip to help pull on, for one thing. Don't depend on photos someone chose to look similar.

Ironically there is a post a few posts down with an article about how Google is warning Samsung to stop copying Apple. The article says basically what I've been saying in this entire thread.

Ironically the same type of articles claimed that Apple stole the iPhone design from Sony.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Ironically the same type of articles claimed that Apple stole the iPhone design from Sony.

I find that hard to believe considering the iPhone is nothing but an evolved iPod. SJ even called the iPhone the "best iPod we've every made" on many occasions.

The Apple iPod DNA from 2001 to the iPhone 4S today is glaring, and easily predates any design language Sony had in place.

Even if Sony eluded to a minimalist rounded corner rectangle touchscreen phone in 2005, it still came long after the iPod design was introduced.

I was something of a "Sony-phile" in 2001 and their version of MP3 at the time was very different than Apple's vision.

(I still own one of these)
46358ah_20.jpeg

We can see where the iPhone evolved from...

The Xperia looks nothing like what Sony was doing a decade ago.

sony_xperia_ion_1177478_g2.jpg

Last edited:

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I also brought up 2006 and 2005 designs. The comment about decades was emphasis on how old the design is.

Now you're scraping the barrel. I have both types of chargers, and they're really not that similar. The Samsung model has a nice big lip to help pull on, for one thing. Don't depend on photos someone chose to look similar.

And yeah, like I SAID, its stupid to bring it up, but even the freaking chargers resemble the iPhone charger! Whether or not its a minor detail, it's a copy off a design. CLEARLY. I mean, why'd they have to do almost the exact same small cube design? Because they are trying to be the iPhone. Keyword: trying.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I mean, why'd they have to do almost the exact same small cube design? Because they are trying to be the iPhone. Keyword: trying.

If that's how they are trying to be the iPhone, they're not doing a very good job, because:

1) It's not the same exact design. Not even the same color.

2) Alas, nobody buys a phone based on the generic shape of its charger.

3) Most importantly, Apple has never complained about it. Considering the details they throw into their cases, it must not matter to them.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
And yeah, like I SAID, its stupid to bring it up, but even Y. I mean, why'd they have to do almost the exact same small cube design? Because they are trying to be the iPhone. Keyword: trying.

In terms of phones, we'll the S3 blew right past the iphone 4S. It's not even a competition. You might as well be comparing a Motorola flip phone that's how far the iphone trails the S3. And I guess Apple has run out of designs. This will be the 3rd year in a row of the same look, albeit stretched just a tad this year. Yawn.

In terms of tablets, everyone except maybe Asus is still trailing Apple's ipad, even if that design is getting stale too. And Samsung did blatantly copy the power block and wide 19 pin connector. If you owned both an iPad2 and a table 10.1,you could very easily mix up the two connectors since they look identical. However, the whole look and feel of an iPad2 is pure b.s. The shape and look has been around longer than the ipad.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I think that is true, but it was Apple that made minimalism and iPod DNA the de facto standard that we see in the "post PC era."

Especially the proliferation of stark white devices.

For those of us that are old enough to remember what designs were like before the iPod...
]

I had the Sony mini disc player on a deployment I did back in 98. I thought for sure that mini discs were the future. Little did I know solid state memory was coming after those huge zip drives went away. Have you been in long enough to remember 8" floppy's?

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
On topic, It's an AT&T olympic commercial no? and he is listening to audio books correct?? It doesn't talk to him like siri, it just is an audio book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn_xw6bv8YY

Nope, not the same commercial. The one I saw was shot in the early morning, or early evening, I said it in my original post if you read the whole thing.

You'll notice the commercial if you ever find it (I cant find it), just look for the one that looks exactly like an Apple iPhone commercial. :p

----------

In terms of phones, we'll the S3 blew right past the iphone 4S. It's not even a competition. You might as well be comparing a Motorola flip phone that's how far the iphone trails the S3. And I guess Apple has run out of designs. This will be the 3rd year in a row of the same look, albeit stretched just a tad this year. Yawn.

The S3 is in a higher class than the iPhone 4S, it has quad core vs the 4S' dual core. The 4S is in class with the S2. The iPhone 5 will be the S3's competition. I dont know why people compare (performance wise), the 4S with the S3. The S3 is higher powered and newer. Just wait for the iPhone 5. The cycle continues. :D

And seriously, you just said that a 4S vs a S3 is like a flip phone vs S3? Thats extremely horrible inaccurate, bullcrap. It's actually funny. A flip phone you say? LOL. You should look into stand up comedy.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The S3 is in a higher class than the iPhone 4S, it has quad core vs the 4S' dual core. The 4S is in class with the S2. The iPhone 5 will be the S3's competition. I dont know why people compare (performance wise), the 4S with the S3. The S3 is higher powered and newer. Just wait for the iPhone 5. The cycle continues. :D

And seriously, you just said that a 4S vs a S3 is like a flip phone vs S3? Thats extremely horrible inaccurate, bullcrap. It's actually funny. A flip phone you say? LOL. You should look into stand up comedy.

The 4S is the most recent iPhone model. Just as the GS3 will be the most recent Galaxy model when the iPhone launches. If the iPhone launches in October, the GS3 will be almost 5 months old. When the GS3 launched, the iPhone was 7 months old. That's only a 2 month difference. So because of a two month difference the 4S should be exempt from comparisons, but the GS3 won't be exempt later on down the line? That's some kind of logic you're employing there.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I had the Sony mini disc player on a deployment I did back in 98. I thought for sure that mini discs were the future. Little did I know solid state memory was coming after those huge zip drives went away. Have you been in long enough to remember 8" floppy's?

I remember telling a friend that Minidisc was a more viable format than the iPod back in 2002. Silly me.

We had boxes of 8" floppies in the SCIF that were never cleared for disposal. No one knew what the hell was on them and we had no machines that could read them but no senior officer wanted to trash them. Freaking army.

I don't think I've ever actually used a real floppy since elementary school.

Last edited:

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The 4S is the most recent iPhone model. Just as the GS3 will be the most recent Galaxy model when the iPhone launches. If the iPhone launches in October, the GS3 will be almost 5 months old. When the GS3 launched, the iPhone was 7 months old. That's only a 2 month difference. So because of a two month difference the 4S should be exempt from comparisons, but the GS3 won't be exempt later on down the line? That's some kind of logic you're employing there.

Of course it's the most recent, but regardless the S3 came out AFTER the 4S. AND IT HAS QUAD CORE. 4S came out fall of 2011, S3 came out summer of 2012. That's a long enough timespan. If they were on similar cycles, it could be easier to really determine what phone should be against what phone. But I'm sorry how can you say S3 KILLS the 4S, when it has quad core? It's like saying the 2011 Ford Mustang V6 gets killed by the 2012 Ford Mustang V12. Obviously... newer, double the engine, more recent (even if it's just several months).

You're taking what I said and going to far with it. What I said is...the 5 will have quad core. Put that next to the S3.

This is logic.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Of course it's the most recent, but regardless the S3 came out AFTER the 4S. AND IT HAS QUAD CORE. 4S came out fall of 2011, S3 came out summer of 2012. That's a long enough timespan. If they were on similar cycles, it could be easier to really determine what phone should be against what phone. But I'm sorry how can you say S3 KILLS the 4S, when it has quad core? It's like saying the 2011 Ford Mustang V6 gets killed by the 2012 Ford Mustang V12. Obviously... newer, double the engine, more recent (even if it's just several months).

You're taking what I said and going to far with it. What I said is...the 5 will have quad core. Put that next to the S3.

This is logic.
ACTUALLY. The iPhone came out Fall of '11 and the GS3 came out Spring of '12. The iPhone if released in October will be Fall of '12. That's the same 2 season span. So by your logic, the iPhone 5 shouldn't be compared to the GS3 then. What's good for the goose is good for the gander..... Figure out which way you want it and stick with it.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012

This is logic.

Quad core means nothing without the performance. Poorly optimized software can't get fixed with more powerful CPUs. So just because the S3 is quad-core doesn't mean the iPhone gets a pass because the iPhone has the advantage of a better synthesis between hardware and software. The Cortex A9 (quad) actually loses to the Cortex A15 (dual), which is also what I expect to be in the next iPhone.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

This is logic.
The USA version of the S3 does not have a quad core. It is a 1.5gHz dual core cpu with 2GB of RAM. You seem to be arguing about a product you are unfamiliar with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.