Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InkaFitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
Hello,
I did a photoshoot with a client on saturday and I used a brand new SD card in my Sony A6000. The SD was formatted via the camera before shooting.
I am now trying to transfer my raw files to my Macbook Pro via my card reader, but I keep getting a message saying that the card is not recognised, would I like to initialize it.
I am very concerned as I need to get these pictures edited and back to the client as soon as possible.
Can anyone offer some advice, please?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Can you see the photos if you put the card back in the camera?

Perhaps try a recovery program. I don’t have one to recommend but often you can downya trial version for free that will give you an indication as to what is on the card before paying to recover them.

InkaFitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
Can you see the photos if you put the card back in the camera?

Perhaps try a recovery program. I don’t have one to recommend but often you can downya trial version for free that will give you an indication as to what is on the card before paying to recover them.

Yes I can see the photos once the card is back in the camera. Is it worth having a try with wireless transfer using PlayMemories?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don’t know that program. What if you connect the camera to your computer with the usb cord?

If you can still see them via the camera you shy be able to get them somehow.

InkaFitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
I don’t know that program. What if you connect the camera to your computer with the usb cord?

If you can still see them via the camera you shy be able to get them somehow.

I'll give that a try later, thank you.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
what format re the photos? Jpg?
let the client know this as well, they might have a PC the card will work in.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Step #1 is to try a different card reader, as opposed to the one built in to your MBP. The earlier suggestions to put the card in the camera and connect the camera via USB is basically doing just this.

Also, you should ALWAYS provide full info in such "help me" threads. At issue is what type of SD card are you using and which MBP? It's highly unlikely that you are actually using an SD card as they are limited to 2gb max. I suspect that you are using an SD/HC (4-32gb) or SD/XC (64gb+) card. The SD card formats are only backward compatible for the reader, a SD/XC reader can read all formats but a SD/HC reader can't read SD/XC.

If you are using a SD/XC card then it is possible that an older MBP doesn't support that format card. If that is the case, you can't "fix" the MBP's reader. You'll always need to use an external card reader.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Could it be file format mismatch?! Maybe the default format for the card is NTFS which the MacBook is struggling to read.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Could it be file format mismatch?! Maybe the default format for the card is NTFS which the MacBook is struggling to read.

NTFS would be a non-standard format for a camera to use. The OP claims to have formatted the card in the camera. The SD Association's "standard" for SD/XC cards is exFAT and all legitimate SD/XC cards ship using that format.

Any OSX/macOS since 10.6.5 should be able to read either exFAT or NTFS, but can't write to NTFS without 3rd party software. The more likely problem is that the OP's MBP doesn't support the SD/XC card's data structure, which is a different issue than the filesystem's data format.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
NTFS would be a non-standard format for a camera to use. The OP claims to have formatted the card in the camera. The SD Association's "standard" for SD/XC cards is exFAT and all legitimate SD/XC cards ship using that format.

Any OSX/macOS since 10.6.5 should be able to read either exFAT or NTFS, but can't write to NTFS without 3rd party software. The more likely problem is that the OP's MBP doesn't support the SD/XC card's data structure, which is a different issue than the filesystem's data format.

Ah yeah fair enough. Goes to show that I haven’t used a SD card for so long that I’ve forgotten the basics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.