Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Well this turned into a disaster. I live in an area no 5G, 4G is poor, 1 bar at best and often that means data doesn’t work, I do however have full 3G. The issue being apple seems to have removed the 3G only option. Now there is 4G only and 5G only. Any work around? I feel I’ll have to return it.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
A different question: Have you informed yourself how long 3G will exist in your region anyway?
In a.e. Germany, a year ago, 3G was completely shut off in favor of using the frequencies for 4G and 5G.
(making my backup iPhone 4 EDGE only…)

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
A different question: Have you informed yourself how long 3G will exist in your region anyway?
In a.e. Germany, a year ago, 3G was completely shut off in favor of using the frequencies for 4G and 5G.
I don’t think 3UK will do that for a while as their 4G and 5G is poor outside major cities and towns.

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Well this turned into a disaster. I live in an area no 5G, 4G is poor, 1 bar at best and often that means data doesn’t work, I do however have full 3G. The issue being apple seems to have removed the 3G only option. Now there is 4G only and 5G only. Any work around? I feel I’ll have to return it.
I believe the carriers control which network technology you are connected to, not Apple. I would contact your carrier.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.