Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Today I got messages on multiple devices (iPhone 12ProMax, iMac, iPad) about "new icloud signon" on a device (iPhone 5S) that was POWERED DOWN. I should note that I am a developer, so I have quite a few devices for test. Older ones I just keep powered down and charge when/if needed. (don't think I'll have much use for the iPhone 4 or iPad 1.)

(So, not really sure if this is the best place to post...)

I've previously gotten similar messages but only recently. Didn't pay much attention, because they were more plausible. For example, for my old 2008 Aluminum Macbook. But it is powered, though the clamshell is closed. I guess it's plausible it would occasionally wake up.

I may have gotten others, but didn't pay much attention, because device was powered-up. I just assume maybe the iCloud login "refreshes" it's self at infrequent intervals?

I wish I had thought to do a "find my" BEFORE powering-up the iPhone 5S! But, stupidly, I powered it up, THEN did "find my" to of course discover that it said, yes, it's right here. Well, actually, I hadn't meant to power it up, but instinctively went for the power button instead of the thumb sensor to see if it was powered, and of course then it powered-up.

Everything (except the 2008 Macbook) is up-to-date with the latest patched OSs, so satisfied that it's not Israli security service hacking into my devices. ;)

Anybody else experience this, or know what is going on?

The 5S is only on WiFi, only my current 12SMax (and Apple Watch 6) are on cell service.

I do have 2FA enabled, now not sure what device it said was "near Los Angeles" (I'm in San Diego) but I always get that for wired devices or devices on my WiFi because that's where I get geo-located by IP address (Google Webpass). Find my did geo-locate all devices properly at my home in San Diego.

Powered back down. Any idea what to check next time?

Is there a way to view location history? (Not on device, I want iCloud's opinion of where the device has been.) I don't see anything for that in Find My.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Nobody knows? Hasn't happened to anyone else? Is there a better place to post?

Just got this again. This time I am paying more attention.

Got a popup on my Mac Mini (but not on iMac or old MacBook) "Your Apple ID is now being used for iMessage on a new iPhone. If you recently signed into "<device name redacted>" you can ignore this notification.

I did NOT get a 2FA request, so satisfied that nobody is logging in from somewhere else.

FWIW, I run iMazing on the Mac Mini, and backup and update devices on the Mini. Maybe this is somehow related to syncing to iMazing? I did update the 5S last week, maybe it takes some time for login to iMessage to "register" and notification(s) sent?

The 5S is turned off.

Going to do "Find My" now... OK, "no location found".

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've found that iCloud warnings can sometimes have huge lags between when some even occurred and when the notice appears - like many days sometimes.
I've also found that they magically disappear themselves after a while.
I've also found that changing a device in iCloud settings can take sometimes- weeks to sort itself out.

You may just be experiencing the weirdness of iCloud

Reactions: Smoovejayy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.