Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Thats awesome!

I can get it to work at the forums here - but when I visit another vbulletin forum I go to alot, NewTiburon, it doesn't affect it.

The forums over there have several different skins to choose from, each one with different buttons and colors - and even one that is just the default VB skin. In the CSS code for each skin there, there is nothing for reply buttons, or any of the buttons or images used on the site - only the simple text boxes and whatnot are included.

How is each skin on that site changing the buttons without including them in the skin's CSS?

For example, I downloaded the entire CSS for the forums here and set my browser to use that. I expected the other forum to look identical to this one, but it was left unchanged.

I also noticed that in the CSS file used for this forums' current skin does not include the images for buttons (reply, new post, old post, locked, etc).

What file does the skin read for these images? If I wanted to change the "reply" button to a neat aqua one I made, how would I put that into my custom.CSS so that any VB 3 forum I visited used that reply button that I made? (and the same with all other images used in the skin - and it seems there are many!).

You know how some places sell VB skins that you can buy? I know it includes images, but what other files would it include? At first I thought the skin was just images and a CSS file, but now it seems there must be some extra file that is referenced to that does not show up in the page source. At the top of the forum CSS file, it says something along the lines of <Style_ID 1> or something....is that linking to a file named "Style_ID 1" that is declaring which images are to be used?

Thanks for all your help - I appreciate it!!

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Josh said:
The forums over there have several different skins to choose from, each one with different buttons and colors - and even one that is just the default VB skin. In the CSS code for each skin there, there is nothing for reply buttons, or any of the buttons or images used on the site - only the simple text boxes and whatnot are included.

This method of skinning a forum (entirely in CSS) is generally not the way the site itself does it.

I believe the skins that you select in the user CP actually change the HTML template for the forum. Since from your own computer, you can only add CSS, things like images have to be done differently (for instance by hiding the site's default images and setting background images behind them). If you get the CSS for a forum theme off of another site, you'd have to modify it to change the images. Also, it might be obvious, but you have to add "!important" to the lines that you want to override the forum's own settings.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
coolsoldier said:
Also, it might be obvious, but you have to add "!important" to the lines that you want to override the forum's own settings.

HAHA!@ good call - Ive been fiddling with a file all morning and it was not affecting ANYTHING - now I know why! lol

I feel like a tard...

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

The guy who runs the other forum is going to let me use the GDK when he upgrades to VB 3 Gold, so I can then make a skin for the forum :D

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Does any one know if there is a way to change the width of post boxes and all the other boxes so they are all the same?

At the other forum, every post is a different width, but here they are all the same and I like that better.

Can I add anything to my custom.css to activate fixed width?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
BTW --
My offical view is this new skin sucks.

Sorry.

My eyes like need to look at something else besides the 'off-white' color of this forum.

Someone give me some color either in a new skin or in some magic CSS... thanks.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
MrMacman said:
BTW --
My offical view is this new skin sucks.

Sorry.

My eyes like need to look at something else besides the 'off-white' color of this forum.

Someone give me some color either in a new skin or in some magic CSS... thanks.

Do it yourself, big guy. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.