Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Skype has just updated to 8.10.0.4, and ~~I can no longer share my screen while in a call. There are only three buttons: mic, video and hang up. There is nothing useful in the menu either. ~~ [never mind, now the + button started to appear in video calls. It must have been a glitch]

Another issue I haven't been able to resolve is when I click on the minimized view of my camera, it takes up half a screen (split view), but there seems to be no way to make it minimized again. Any tips?

Last edited:

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Skype now has a 6 minute tutorial to try and teach me how to use the application. I had been using it for as long as I can remember but now, if I'm in a hurry I will go to WhatsApp, WeChat, Signal. Already Wunderlist, now SKYPE, which rock solid application will Microsoft screw up next?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
How to remove the automatic happy face emoticon from Skype messages

Since I use Skype for business purposes, I tried the Remove smiley face from mesages trick (see the second-to-last post on that page) with Skype 8 for Mac. It works, but you have to know where to find the binary file that you need to modify.

It's file app.asar in folder Macintosh HD/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Resources.

To get there, go to the Applications folder, control-click on Skype or Skype.app, and choose Show Package Contents. That will reveal the Contents folder. Open it, and then the Resources folder within in. From there you can follow the tip's directions to create and execute a little Python script.

Reactions: iop
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.