Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnemitz22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Whew. Just about had an emotional meltdown. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Samsung 850 EVO SSD for my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro and I went through all the necessary steps to erase, partition, and clone my existing HDD to the new drive using a USB Dock. It went smooth!!

Well, today, I decided I wanted to see how well it was performing(start up and using multiple programs at a very fast speed, apparently wasn't enough for me). So, I downloaded BlackMagic Speed Test. Now, I am in NO WAY saying that this program screwed up my new SSD. But, after I installed the program and ran it, checking my read/write speed, I decided to close the program and restart my MBP. That was NOT a good idea to do apparently, because my MBP, would get stuck at start up on the Apple Logo about half way through booting up. Tried restarting in Recovery Mode, etc. WAS NOT WORKING!

So, I decided to install my old HDD back into my MBP and start it up. Sure enough, it booted normally. I then plugged my SSD into the USB Docking station and went to Disk Utility. Disk Utility was unable to verify OR repair disk permissions. It also, would not let me erase the SSD and reformat etc. After some successful digging around and using Terminal and Activity Monitor to force quit a task, I was able to erase and partition the SSD all over again. Then cloned it.......again. I then restarted my MBP and held down Option to select the disk I wanted to boot with and success. The SSD is working again, so I installed it into my MBP......again. It seems to be working as it should.

I am not sure what ACTUALLY caused the malfunction, as I do not have TRIM enabled(due to Yosemite and I don't want to disable Kext or am I downloading weird software(except for BlackMagic, but it was in the APP Store). But hopefully, it was a fluke. I did, however, go back to Disk Utility after rebooting with the SSD and verify disk permissions and it says all is well.

Anywho, this was a scare for me, as I really do not nor can I afford right now, a new MBP...

A whole lot of probably, useless info, but someone out there might have had a similar situation.

Thanks for being bored to death by that rant!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
as I do not have TRIM enabled(due to Yosemite and I don't want to disable Kext or am I downloading weird software(except for BlackMagic, but it was in the APP Store). But hopefully, it was a fluke. I did, however, go back to Disk Utility after rebooting with the SSD and verify disk permissions and it says all is well.

Glad you got it all back together. With 10.10.4 and 10.10.5 you can enable TRIM with an Apple command in Terminal and not disable kext signing. I have used BlackMagic with Samsung SSDs with no ill effects.

Lou

cnemitz22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Glad you got it all back together. With 10.10.4 and 10.10.5 you can enable TRIM with an Apple command in Terminal and not disable kext signing. I have used BlackMagic with Samsung SSDs with no ill effects.

Lou

I'm sure it was just coincidence. What is the command? I can search for it. I've heard that trim isn't necessary with newer SSD's but does help performance. Might give it a shot and see. Thanks for the reply!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
If you use the trimforce enable, then here is some more information:

To check that Trim has been enabled check:
About This Mac
System Report…
Hardware
SATA/SATA Express
TRIM Support: Yes

To Disable:
sudo trimforce disable

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Glad that you managed to right the ship!

Has anyone else had any problems with BlackMagic? I was actually pondering giving it a whirl....

cnemitz22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Well. I do believe I found the culprit for my SSD crash. I did try installing the new Yosemite update 10.10.5.
After I reinstalled my SSD after all the crap of erasing and cloning again, I was prompted by The App Store that I had some updates available. One being iTunes the other being 10.10.5 for Yosemite. Once I completed the download and started the installer my computer wanted me to restart. I hit restart and wouldn't ya know. Stuck again on the reboot apple logo about halfway through restart. Couldn't restart in recovery mode or anything.....again. Ridiculous. So I am now going through the whole process again only this time, NO YOSEMITE UPDATE!!! Lol. Blah.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Well. I do believe I found the culprit for my SSD crash.

You may THINK you found the issue, but it's not Yosemite. I'm betting on a defective SSD. All my Mac Pro SSDs are Samsung of various ages and all are working fine with Yosemite and with El Cap with TRIM enabled. The SSD in my MBA is a Transcend unit and that is also working fine with Yosemite and with TRIM enabled.

Lou

cnemitz22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2015
You may THINK you found the issue, but it's not Yosemite. I'm betting on a defective SSD. All my Mac Pro SSDs are Samsung of various ages and all are working fine with Yosemite and with El Cap with TRIM enabled. The SSD in my MBA is a Transcend unit and that is also working fine with Yosemite and with TRIM enabled.

Lou

I have Trim enabled with 10.10.4. Also, the SSD works just fine with Yosemite 10.10.4, just NOT so well when I try to update it to 10.10.5. It boots up normally with 10.10.4. But will not boot after updating to 10.10.5. I'm pretty sure the update doesn't even finish installing since it won't reboot all the way. Again, just fine with 10.10.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.