Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
So, anyone has a 2011 MBP that can check if the new stuff works on them?

Like the unlock with the iPhone thing (seriously doubt this one due to the Bluetooth version), the clipboard thing, etc?

Thank you.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I have the same question about the unlock, but that's not in this build anyway.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
So, anyone has a 2011 MBP that can check if the new stuff works on them?

Like the unlock with the iPhone thing (seriously doubt this one due to the Bluetooth version), the clipboard thing, etc?

Thank you.

I am almost positive that the universal clipboard will not be available to those of us with 2011 MBP's because it uses Continuity. Continuity is a feature that we have never had, so it's not going to work.

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I am almost positive that the universal clipboard will not be available to those of us with 2011 MBP's because it uses Continuity. Continuity is a feature that we have never had, so it's not going to work.

We have some parts os continuity working. Calls via Mac and iMessages for example. We don't have the stuff that it's based on the new Bluetooth versions, like Handoff or the instant hotspot.

So i think it boils down to what technology will they use. If its Wi-fi based, we might get lucky. :)

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011

i would imagine the CAT tool should eventually solve this

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
We have some parts os continuity working. Calls via Mac and iMessages for example. We don't have the stuff that it's based on the new Bluetooth versions, like Handoff or the instant hotspot.

So i think it boils down to what technology will they use. If its Wi-fi based, we might get lucky. :)

True, but we don't have "real" Continuity that allows Mac and iOS apps to hand things off to each other, and I assumed that that was what Universal Clipboard would use.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Ive upgraded my Airport card and installed CAT so id imagine that all of the features should be available for me. In the past if you read on the features on Apples site on new releases at the very bottom of the page there would be a little asterisk saying "all features not supported on all models" etc. but this time it only says that some features not available in all locations. Maybe Apple will change their ways this year and everyone with a 2010+ MacBook will get all the features.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
The clipboard thing might be network-based but the unlock thing is 100% proximity-based so it will require bluetooth 4.0. So it should supposedly work if you enable the full continuity I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.