Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
West Coast Dock Backlog Delays New PowerBook, A05, F1 Peripherals

It was reported this morning that it's going to take 2 months for the 12 day west coast dock backlog to get caught up so everything we've been expecting soon may not show up much before MacWorld San Francisco 2003. It just depends where those drives are in the cue.

Even if they haven't been shipped from Japan yet, it's going to take longer for them to arrive because of this huge cue that has built up over these past 12 days. That includes things like the Pioneer DVR-A05 Quad Speed SuperDrive, the Yamaha External FireWire version of the CRW-F1, and the new PowerBooks that Apple has had to delay announcing because they're sitting on a ship that hasn't been able to be unloaded. So I think we're going to have to be extra patient about getting what we know is next.

Let's all remember that this was NOT a STRIKE by the workers but a LOCKOUT by management. Management did not negotiate in good faith and was willing to wait for the President to step in while Bananas and other perishable food rotted on those unserviced ships.

jammer

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2002
Chicago
Please! Give me a 2GB break!

You can speculate about the superdrive, but don't even think the longshoremen are being even remotely reasonable! My cousin in NY is one and I agree with him when he says they are the living example of a way-too powerful union out of control. They push and bully till they get what they want. He makes $190,000 to operate a crane. That is INSANE. That same job in any other construction venue earns nowhere near as much AND there is usually very little job securtiy. The management agreed to every term of the settlement EXCEPT the singular outrageous demand that their jobs be guaranteed to never become obsolete for technology reasons. That is the craziest pie-in-the-sky demand I'v ever heard! What does that even mean?! It boils down to all these current employees having the overweening arrogance to try to ensure these nepotistic jobs for their children. They are the blue collar equivalent of major league baseball players. They're greedy and shameless instead of grateful for essentially winning the lottery, and that mentatlity will create their own downfall.

Plus they're holding up Apple's progress and I NEED A NEW SYSTEM!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I did not know that. I see your point.

I knew nothing of the negotiation details. I agree with you that is bad. I also noticed that our docks are sorely lacking modern technology that would allow them to load and unload ships and load and unload trucks way faster.

Haberdasher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
You think that's bad? In Italy, when someone goes against the "will" of the federal labor union, they're found with a bullet in their head.

Just thought I'd let you know that. :D

PS-In a two week trip to Italy last summer, I was delayed by TWO transport labor strikes...according to locals, this happens regularly. You might wonder how they get stuff done if this happens so often. The short answer is that they don't. :rolleyes:

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
PS-In a two week trip to Italy last summer, I was delayed by TWO transport labor strikes...according to locals, this happens regularly. You might wonder how they get stuff done if this happens so often. The short answer is that they don't.

A friend told me the same thing happened in France when they were waiting at the Louvre Muesuem. They asked someone working there why the line was so long. The worker responded causally that the workers were deciding on whether to strike. :rolleyes:

This Business 2.0 article talks about how the docks currently operate without even bar-code technology we have in supermarkets:

http://www.business2.com/articles/web/0,1653,44247,FF.html

It's quite ridiculous that the unions are obstructing the implementation of technology. A new scanning system, a better supply chain, and automated cranes might cost a few jobs here and there, but it's an unnecessary inconvenience to many. Should we smash up cars to bring back the jobs of those horse and buggy drivers? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.