Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Do I understand correctly that this issue only happens in Safari and Mail?
No, it happens elsewhere too, but not everywhere… or at least I don’t spend enough time in those apps to experience it.

It’s also a problem in Notes and I may have experienced it in BBEdit too. The problem is markedly worse if you have predictive text turned on.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Looks like fixes for this are rolling out across Apple's platforms right now...iOS 17.3.1, macOS 14.3.1, etc.

Fingers crossed.

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I’ve been having this issue for months but I’m tired even complaining about Apple issues nowadays, they are so many, so nasty and get never fixed, it’s just not worth it anymore. Glad they finally fixed it though.

Let’s hope they also fix the inability to position the cursor between words on an iPhone (and instead selecting the adjacent word) this year, or at least next year.

Reactions: Populus

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yay, I saw the news about the latest software update and promptly hopped into Settings and updated this machine, the one I use the most, straightaway..... I really hope that this update has indeed resolved that problem of the text getting scrambled and such, which had become increasingly annoying as time went on. Fingers crossed.....

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yay, I saw the news about the latest software update and promptly hopped into Settings and updated this machine, the one I use the most, straightaway..... I really hope that this update has indeed resolved that problem of the text getting scrambled and such, which had become increasingly annoying as time went on. Fingers crossed.....
Issue seems to have been fixed for me as well. How's things on everyone's end?

Reactions: Clix Pix

Killroy

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2004
I'm using an OWC/MacSales dock with my M1 MacMini. The front USB-A port is not usable. If I plug anything in, the MacMini "blows up". It makes a weird sound, and crashes and shuts down. I've contacted OWC, and they said call Apple. They also recommended that I use their app. that totally disengages USB devices when not in use.

I do have a MacSales external HD, and two different headphone DAC/Amps in the chain. Also two Dell 27" monitors. But this horrible computer crash happened only while using one DAC/Amp plugged in. I have not used the front USB-A 2.0 port on the front of the OWC dock since the two crashes/shutdowns.

I have not called Apple yet, as I need to sort out what is plugged in where. My desk is tucked into two walls.
There is no front USB-A port. on a Mac mini. They are all in the back.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I’m pretty astonished that a bug that has been happening since November (or maybe even earlier) has only been fixed in mid February.

Another good reason to wait several months until updating to the next major version.

The problem is that you're going to get some other issues. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy and Populus

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m pretty astonished that a bug that has been happening since November (or maybe even earlier) has only been fixed in mid February.

Another good reason to wait several months until updating to the next major version.
I never wait. My low bar of not upgrading is having the phone bricked and mine is a corporate phone. But everybody’s threshold is different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.