Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i see there are so many people in the stores who think that MHz is everything, but for certain things, cache is almost as important as mentioned above

now try and tell that to the consumer

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
Cache is important, but just like the highest MHZ doesn't always equal the fastest machine, the largest cache doesn't always end up making the machine faster. The G4 is capable of using a 2 MB cache, but the most used has been 1 MB (except possibly in the dual 800 MHZ). This is because the speed increase is negligible, and sometimes it hinders speed.

The cache in the new TiBook runs at the full processor speed, not half. The system bus is also faster (although initial throughput tests seem to show otherwise). The previous model was a half speed cache. I would guess that the differences negate each other overall. Some processes will be faster on the older model, some on the newer.

As for seti@home (per my original post), it's running about 25% faster on the 667 MHZ machine than it does on my G3 400 MHZ. The initial 5% increase would have to be considered a fluke. The G3 was probably running an easier set than the G4. Over the course of the weekend the G4 has consistently outperformed the G3, even though I've been using the TiBook and not the Pismo.

If possible, someone with a 500 MHZ TiBook rev. A & a 550 TiBook rev. B should run the same seti work unit on both machines, just to see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.