Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I'm installing 10.4 right now onto my old eMac. After much deliberation I finally broke down and bought the dang OS...

Regardless, I'm restore all my music and whatnot now, but what I'd like to know is how to get my old Apps back. I stuck in my eMac restore disc and installed "Software Restore", was this the right thing to do, or have I just overwritten a Tiger version of "Software Restore"?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You can use System restore to just restore applications (and e.g. Classic support) and not the whole system, it should look something like this (but the exact configuration varies after which OS your Mac came with):

42929_1.jpg

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
neoelectronaut said:
I'm installing 10.4 right now onto my old eMac. After much deliberation I finally broke down and bought the dang OS...

Regardless, I'm restore all my music and whatnot now, but what I'd like to know is how to get my old Apps back. I stuck in my eMac restore disc and installed "Software Restore", was this the right thing to do, or have I just overwritten a Tiger version of "Software Restore"?
You should have asked this question before you ran System Restore. System Restore returned your computer to its out-of-box state. This was the exact opposite of what you wanted. You should have inserted the MacOS X 10.4 CD and upgraded your OS. This would have preserved all of your old files. As it is, they are irretrievably lost.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
MisterMe said:
You should have asked this question before you ran System Restore. System Restore returned your computer to its out-of-box state. This was the exact opposite of what you wanted. You should have inserted the MacOS X 10.4 CD and upgraded your OS. This would have preserved all of your old files. As it is, they are irretrievably lost.

No no, I backed up all my documents, movies, iTunes music, and whatnot, when I said Apps I was just refering to iLife and the few apps that came preinstalled with my computer. I knew exactly what I was doing in doing a complete system wipe, and thus planned accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.