Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I'm new to HomeKit. I will be implementing two iHome outlet plugs, but I have a question about Hue Light Strips.

In our kitchen we have poor lighting. One ceiling fixture with a fan and 6 lightbulbs in that. I have installed 100w equivalent and it lights up the table etc OK but we need task lights at the countertops.
We have one 3 halogen light fixture under the sink.

Will Hue Lightstrip provide ample light as a work light?
I understand this expense would be much higher than "regular" light strip, but I can't find anything decent at Amazon. Strips I see is 5feet = 60watt.

Also what's the difference between light strip and light strip plus?

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
I was just looking at these the other day.

I believe the lightstrip plus has a larger output. Here is their page on the new one:

http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/productdetail/philips-hue-lightstrip-plus

Vs the old one:
http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/productdetail/philips-hue-lightstrip

I think where the lightstrip shines (Bad Pun) is for things like under cabinet lighting. I don't think you are going to want to put this somewhere where you are going to be able to see it directly. More somewhere you can hide it under a counter or cabinets and then let the light shine out.

For me it seemed a little expensive but I like the idea though...

I'm new to HomeKit. I will be implementing two iHome outlet plugs, but I have a question about Hue Light Strips.

In our kitchen we have poor lighting. One ceiling fixture with a fan and 6 lightbulbs in that. I have installed 100w equivalent and it lights up the table etc OK but we need task lights at the countertops.
We have one 3 halogen light fixture under the sink.

Will Hue Lightstrip provide ample light as a work light?
I understand this expense would be much higher than "regular" light strip, but I can't find anything decent at Amazon. Strips I see is 5feet = 60watt.

Also what's the difference between light strip and light strip plus?

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Yeah, the LEDs would be mounted under cabinets.
Looking for someone with first hand experience.

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I have Philips Hue Lighstrip+ lights under my kitchen cabinets and they work great for kitchen counter lighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.