Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi everyone! So, I am new to the world of HomePods, but have been using airplay from an apple airport Xpress plugged in to an old iPod hi-fi for ages. AirPlay is great

I love it.

But, I realize it may be time to enter into the modern era of smart speaker and I wonder if a HomePod would be a benefit.

I recently found a first gen HomePod for $150 for sale from a friend of a friend....It is in great shape and has no issues. It also sounds great and looks great (white).

With that being said, I have a want, not a need for a HomePod. As far as I can tell, I should also be able to send sound to both the Hi-FI and the HomePod...that might be fun.

Is $150 worth it or should I save up and go for the HomePod 2? I am at a bit of a loss. I feel like for 150, it could be nice to have and it is at a level where I can be happy economically. $300 is where I have to pause and consider if the cost is worth it because I still use AirPlay and the Hi-FI...

They also have a HomePod Mini in like new condition for $45....

Thanks fro the help!

Is there anything else I should be aware of before I pull the trigger?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bahamas2023

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
The 2018 HomePods were great, although there are many reports online of some hardware failures. I own nine, and have lost one to a hardware failure so far (That one was replaced under AppleCare+ at about 19 months). At $150 you don't have too much to lose if it dies though, and that's half the price of the new one.

In stereo pairs, full size HomePods can fill a room nicely. But yes, $600 + tax is a lot for a stereo pair. What to get depends on the location you plan to use it, and the level of bass/overall audio quality you're looking for. You can airplay to HomePod(s) and Airport Express simultaneously and everything will be in sync. Note that only the last model of Airport Express (MC414LL/A) supports AirPlay 2... and AirPlay 2 is, I believe, the protocol that supports multiple concurrent targets.

Hope this helps a bit.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
The 2018 HomePods were great, although there are many reports online of some hardware failures. I own nine, and have lost one to a hardware failure so far (That one was replaced under AppleCare+ at about 19 months). At $150 you don't have too much to lose if it dies though, and that's half the price of the new one.

In stereo pairs, full size HomePods can fill a room nicely. But yes, $600 + tax is a lot for a stereo pair. What to get depends on the location you plan to use it, and the level of bass/overall audio quality you're looking for. You can airplay to HomePod(s) and Airport Express simultaneously and everything will be in sync. Note that only the last model of Airport Express (MC414LL/A) supports AirPlay 2... and AirPlay 2 is, I believe, the protocol that supports multiple concurrent targets.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for the insight!

I can definitely see the benefit of future proofing they systems...but I still have 2 Hi-Fi's I use (one multiple times a day) and I am not as worried about the future. The benefit of the Hi-Fi is that they are capable of sound a multitude of ways. HomePod is much more reliant on tech to work.

I think 2 HomePods are out of the question for now.

And it seems I hold onto tech for maybe a little too long lol

At this point, I have the last version of the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express...I know it is dated, but I have trouble letting it go. Still works decently.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I still run two AirPort express units as well - Certain spaces are too large for HomePods.

As for holding onto tech... My AirPort express units feed a pair of Onkyo TX-82 receivers, and one of those powers a pair of Boston Acoustics A60 Series II speakers. It's all gear that I purchased back in the mid-to-late '80s, which I guess makes them over 35 years old now. Still sound great - although I did have to re-foam the woofers on the A60s a few years ago.

:)

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I still run two AirPort express units as well - Certain spaces are too large for HomePods.

As for holding onto tech... My AirPort express units feed a pair of Onkyo TX-82 receivers, and one of those powers a pair of Boston Acoustics A60 Series II speakers. It's all gear that I purchased back in the mid-to-late '80s, which I guess makes them over 35 years old now. Still sound great - although I did have to re-foam the woofers on the A60s a few years ago.

:)
Well, it seems like you and I make maybe cut from a similar cloth… I keep some old speakers and tech around or similar uses. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it! Thanks for your heads up and insight.

Reactions: Bahamas2023

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I also use AirPort Expresses (and an Extreme!) around my house plugged into different speakers. I recently got a HomePod Mini, and I like it a lot. It's nice to have Siri always there if I need to turn off or on lights around my house with HomeKit, and ask for the weather or to send a message quickly. The larger HomePods definitely have more oomph to them, but if you are unsure, I'd say wait on getting one. You could always get a mini if you wanted to try out the HomePod setup when they go on sale, which happens fairly often. You can indeed AirPlay to both the Express (as long as it's the latest model with AirPlay 2) and a HomePod (or any combination) at once, for multi-room and multi-speaker setups.

Do you use Apple Music? I've realized it benefits more from having access to it, but I don't want to get Apple Music for myself; I'd rather keep using my iTunes library and manually AirPlaying stuff from it.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I also use AirPort Expresses (and an Extreme!) around my house plugged into different speakers. I recently got a HomePod Mini, and I like it a lot. It's nice to have Siri always there if I need to turn off or on lights around my house with HomeKit, and ask for the weather or to send a message quickly. The larger HomePods definitely have more oomph to them, but if you are unsure, I'd say wait on getting one. You could always get a mini if you wanted to try out the HomePod setup when they go on sale, which happens fairly often. You can indeed AirPlay to both the Express (as long as it's the latest model with AirPlay 2) and a HomePod (or any combination) at once, for multi-room and multi-speaker setups.

Do you use Apple Music? I've realized it benefits more from having access to it, but I don't want to get Apple Music for myself; I'd rather keep using my iTunes library and manually AirPlaying stuff from it.
I do have apple music...it works for what we need, although I wish the algorithm for music was a little tighter.

SO, last night I meet up with the seller, tested out the 1st gen HomePod, and decided to pull the trigger.

Also picked up a mini for $40...

Last night was fun setting them up, and they sound great! HomePod in the living room, mini in the bedroom.

I can connect both the HomePod and the Hi-Fi via airplay to have music coming from both...I do not think it is true stereo sound with different frequencies...just two speakers playing the same music, but the sound pushed out is pretty impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.