Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
A couple months ago, I bought a brand-new iPhone SE (2022 model) from Apple direct. I enjoy this compact and powerful cellphone, even though I am new to iPhone. (My previous smartphones over the last several years were Motorola Android phones.)

Here's a question I have about charging. I honestly don't know what technology the iPhone SE (2022) uses.

What forms of charging does the iPhone SE support? It is charging via Lightning cable only? Does the SE support any wireless charging, like Qi? If it does, what options are available on the market?

The reason I ask is that Anker keeps posting to my Facebook feed (I'm pretty sure I liked their page a long time ago) featuring a portable charger that offers Qi capability. I wanted to know if that would work with my SE.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The 2022 SE supports standard wireless Qi charging, as does every iPhone released since 2017.

I don't know the specifics though as I've only charged with a cable.

Reactions: Wingsley

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
iPhone SE 2022 supports up to 7.5w via Qi Charging. As for options. I use a Samsung Wireless Fast Charging stand for my 12 Pro Max but it charges slower compared to using the Apple Magsafe Charger. But then again, if you want to charge faster use the cable.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
A couple months ago, I bought a brand-new iPhone SE (2022 model) from Apple direct. I enjoy this compact and powerful cellphone, even though I am new to iPhone. (My previous smartphones over the last several years were Motorola Android phones.)

Here's a question I have about charging. I honestly don't know what technology the iPhone SE (2022) uses.

What forms of charging does the iPhone SE support? It is charging via Lightning cable only? Does the SE support any wireless charging, like Qi? If it does, what options are available on the market?

The reason I ask is that Anker keeps posting to my Facebook feed (I'm pretty sure I liked their page a long time ago) featuring a portable charger that offers Qi capability. I wanted to know if that would work with my SE.
5W connected and 7.5W via Qi.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Stupid question, buy I thought I should ask: Is there a realistic way to use Qi charging in an automotive application, or are you better off using a Lightning cable?

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Stupid question, buy I thought I should ask: Is there a realistic way to use Qi charging in an automotive application, or are you better off using a Lightning cable?
Like using Qi for charging your phone while driving? If youre driving long distance its okay but still slow and your phone is gonna gather heat quite fast and in the end it would be like you started off with 50% and after a 2 hours drive with google maps on you will either have 50%-60% or your phone will overheat and shut off. For driving id stick to cable. Less heat and charges faster.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

You can get wireless charging pads that are powered by USB. If you have somewhere to put this (e.g., centre console) and have a USB port (or car accessory plug to USB adapter) you can certainly do this in a car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.