Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
i bet the next iphone has a bigger screen. Only because the competition has forced them
70% of all smartphones sold by AT&T and Verizon last quarter had 3.5 inch screens. I think Apple is forcing the competition to stop making such huge phones. ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
70% of all smartphones sold by AT&T and Verizon last quarter had 3.5 inch screens. I think Apple is forcing the competition to stop making such huge phones. ;)

If that statistic didn't include iPhones it would be more useful. Fact is that 70% is nearly all iPhones and if apple made a 3.8" screen 70% of their sales would be 3.8" phones.

Edit : I just skimmed Verizon's mobile site. It looks like the iPhone is the only 3.5" screen. So unless I missed a 3.5" screen device that's as popular as the iPhone then that statistic is useless. 70% of people will buy iPhones and what screen it has will make up 70% of sales, obviously.

Last edited:

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
If that statistic didn't include iPhones it would be more useful. Fact is that 70% is nearly all iPhones and if apple made a 3.8" screen 70% of their sales would be 3.8" phones.

Edit : I just skimmed Verizon's mobile site. It looks like the iPhone is the only 3.5" screen. So unless I missed a 3.5" screen device that's as popular as the iPhone then that statistic is useless. 70% of people will buy iPhones and what screen it has will make up 70% of sales, obviously.
Just having a bit of fun. :) Apple could very well bump the screen with the next iPhone.

The point is either screen size is not a primary decision factor in buying a phone for most people, or most people want 3.5" screens. Either way Apple isn't being forced by the competition to do anything.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011

really? no sign of them stopping the galaxy s3 has supposedly a bigger screen than the s2.

also your only concentrating on the USA market which is apples home turf. Their worlwide market share comes nowhere near close to 70% more like 20%

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Since everyone has their own likes or dislikes in a cell phone screen size, I would want Apple to keep the same form factor, but with perhaps a 3.7 or 3.8 inch screen. I would not fit over keeping the same 3.5 inch screen either. I just can't get use to a larger phone such as the Galaxy S2 or one of the other cell phones with a larger form factor.

I have large hands, but its the comfort level that bothers me with a larger phone. I like the phone to fit in my hands nicely, and being able to use one thumb to navigate smoothly, and not have to stretch it. Holding the larger phone to the ear is an issue with me as well. I wish, the Android phones that are coming out would reduce the size of the phone to something like Apples, than I would consider them, but for me now, Apple is the only one that I feel is right for me. Others will disagree and opt for a larger screen and form factor. To each his/her own. ;)

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

the forums have gotten out of control, there is just way too much hate and the vulgarity of some of the posts are just no longer tolerable.

it also amazes me that so many users on our forums constantly hate on mobile services and the devices they create, because of these reasons among many others, I see absolutely no reason for us to be provided with an environment like this, especially on our own platform.

I think they should be considering whether to shut down the forums indefinitely.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

the forums have gotten out of control, there is just way too much hate and the vulgarity of some of the posts are just no longer tolerable.

it also amazes me that so many users on our forums constantly hate on mobile services and the devices they create, because of these reasons among many others, I see absolutely no reason for us to be provided with an environment like this, especially on our own platform.

I think they should be considering whether to shut down the forums indefinitely.

I think that is a little extreme. However, I have often suggested that it would be a good idea to have a separate forum for discussion of the merits of the iPhone & iOS versus other phones and OS's. I personally don't mind these discussions, but they are too full of trolls and I suspect some of those posting are from marketing companies and not true MR users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.