Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brcidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
My Android died- My daughter bought me an iPhone Titanium 15 pro max- I am really used to being able to listen to incoming text messages being read to me as they come in, while my phone is stowed in my pocket and I have Bluetooth on listening to music with my headphones. My 7 yr-old Android would silence the music and read any text to me without touching the phone- really nice when both hands are working a zero-turn lawnmower!
But now I for the life of me can't get this Iphone to do the same thing! I have had the ATT rep on the phone and he says it can be done- But the steps aren't coinciding with what he tells me to do. So what gives? Did I "step down" by buying this product? Can it even be done. I google it and all is get is that the notifications can be read to me -- never do I see that the content of the text message can be read as it comes in. Please help this new Iphone nerd!

Last edited:

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
Hello. First make sure that you enable Siri in Settings>Siri and Search>Hey Siri. Then go to Notifications (in Settings) >Announce Notifications> enable this feature. Also make sure the the Headphones option is enabled there as well. Then just make sure that Messages are enabled in the list below (in the same menu). That should do it!

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: Putte_Kindh

brcidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
I have tried that already, the problem is that there is no "Announce Notifications" option under the Notifications tab

Under notifications, I have:

Display as:

Count Stack List

Scheduled Summary
Show Previews
Screen Sharing

Then there is Siri Suggestions

Then there is Notification style ( for all my apps)

Is this a software issue? with the latest and greatest Iphone 15 Pro Max?

brcidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
My Iphone comes with

Model: iphone 15 Pro Max
Version: iOS 17.1.1

I set SIRI up before anything else- and she works fine.

When I try to go to Settings
88b2400e45bcf521514b7252cbb2d959.png
> Siri & Search > Announce Notifications, then turn on Announce Notifications
There is no "Announce Notifications" only "Announce Calls" which leads to "Always" "Headphones and Car" "Headphones Only" and "Never"

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
My Iphone comes with

Model: iphone 15 Pro Max
Version: iOS 17.1.1

I set SIRI up before anything else- and she works fine.

When I try to go to Settings
88b2400e45bcf521514b7252cbb2d959.png
> Siri & Search > Announce Notifications, then turn on Announce Notifications
There is no "Announce Notifications" only "Announce Calls" which leads to "Always" "Headphones and Car" "Headphones Only" and "Never"
Do you have AirPods or some other compatible headphones paired to your phone? I have an iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 17.2. I also have AirPods paired to my phone and this feature definitely works with them. Here is the compatible listing of headphones that work with the feature.

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpeg
    IMG_1444.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

brcidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
I have Mpow H7 Pro headphones and TWS M7 ear buds that I have been using - that I listen to/with Iheart just fine with this Iphone. So with an Iphone, I'll need to buy a special set of headphones and/or earbuds? And then the "Announce Notifications" will appear in Settings?

Another odd feature/non-feature is that with the old android, every alarm I set will show minutes/days until when alarm will ring when I save a given alarm-- it is a really nice confirmation that I have not fat-fingered the numbers or days etc- My Iphone just says saved- and I'm scared I'll miss getting up for work (various alarms throughout week)- so I'm setting an old alarm clock as well as a back-up. I guess this is all part of the learning curve when changing out phones..

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
I have Mpow H7 Pro headphones and TWS M7 ear buds that I have been using - that I listen to/with Iheart just fine with this Iphone. So with an Iphone, I'll need to buy a special set of headphones and/or earbuds? And then the "Announce Notifications" will appear in Settings?

Another odd feature/non-feature is that with the old android, every alarm I set will show minutes/days until when alarm will ring when I save a given alarm-- it is a really nice confirmation that I have not fat-fingered the numbers or days etc- My Iphone just says saved- and I'm scared I'll miss getting up for work (various alarms throughout week)- so I'm setting an old alarm clock as well as a back-up. I guess this is all part of the learning curve when changing out phones..
Unfortunately this feature will only be available with the devices from that list.

It sounds like you would benefit from some hands-on help from someone who is familiar with iPhones. By chance, do you live within driving distance of an Apple Retail Store (not a retailer) but an actual Apple Store? The stores have free workshops to help people learn about the devices and how to use the various features. Each store website has a schedule of the sessions that are available for sign up. This would be really helpful for anyone moving to the Apple ecosystem. You would have an opportunity to get some hands-on help and can ask them about your concerns. If you don’t have a store available, it would be beneficial to find someone who is familiar with iPhones to help you. These forums are a good place for help but for someone who is new to iPhones, a hands-on approach is best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.