Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtimcampy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Coming from a 4-5 year old HTC One M7. I have recently got an iPhone X, this is my first iPhone so I do not have any experience with what's normal behavior and what's not. I have the sim-free version (should have CDMA and GSM antenna) and it is on 11.1.2. Here are some things I noticed. Please tell me if these are normal behaviors or not and if not, how can I go about fixing them. Thanks!

1. Sometimes wifi drops/disconnects when phone sleeps for about a minute or so. Wifi will reconnect automatically when phone is awake. (Currently this seems to only be happening with the wifi at work. At home it doesn't do this).

2. Phone does not automatically connect to wifi when coming in range, until phone is wake. For example I walk home from work, I enter the house but the wifi won't connect until I have wake the phone. (On my old HTC One M7, it will connect automatically when in range and I'll get updates/notifications even when I have not wake the phone)

3. Battery usage data sometimes do not show. It will show usage and standby time, but apps usage don't appear even after 30 minutes of usage.

4. When waking up iPhone and my face is not at a position (or "ready") to unlock the phone, and I move the phone to my face while it's still on lock screen, sometimes face-id won't work. I will have to lock or wait for it to auto lock again and wake it back up; this time with my face ready for face-id for it to work.

5. Sometimes cell signal strength is a bit weird. In the office where I work, I can get 2 bars consistently, and sometimes it will even be 0 for a while. This is on H2O (At&t). First night I had the phone, woke the phone in the morning, the signal was at 0 for a while even after I have unlocked the phone.

6. I have gmail linked to the ios Mail app, new emails are delayed by 30+ minutes even when phone is plugged in. I have the Push toggle on and Fetch to automatic.

7. At 100% battery, that 100% mark lasts for a long while. It can even go on standby for 5 hours and still be at 100%, however, after it has dropped out of 100% battery will drop normally/gradually.

Sorry for the long post, any insight is greatly appreciated!

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
1. No, this is not normal behavior for my X.

2. Also not normal behavior for my X.

3. I believe the usage feature needs some time to get a usage history to make accurate measurements. But, don't watch this too closely - it's only an estimate.

4. Yes, my X does this too. FaceID will fail to unlock if you are puffing out your cheeks, your head is on a pillow, your head is rotated the wrong direction, etc. It's annoying, but I learned to deal with it.

5. This is related to poor cell coverage in your location. File a report with AT&T if you consistently experience network issues. That said, my X occasionally reboots its modem and will drop the cell signal to 0 suddenly, then bring it back 10 seconds later.

6. I frequently have this issue as well. Sometimes I need to manually check for mail 2-3X before hour-old mails will appear. It's incredibly annoying.

7. Sounds like the battery calibration is a bit off. This isn't generally something to worry about, but monitor your phone to see if it turns off above 0% battery. If it does, you can get a warranty replacement from Apple.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm not sure about the first six, but Apple's iDevices tend to stay on 100% longer than normal (certainly longer than Android phones I've used). It's really a fake 100%. It stays there well beyond the real 99% mark, and then the numbers start draining. I think Apple puts it there to make people feel good about themselves, but it's pretty obvious what they're doing.

megagene

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
I'm not sure about the first six, but Apple's iDevices tend to stay on 100% longer than normal (certainly longer than Android phones I've used). It's really a fake 100%. It stays there well beyond the real 99% mark, and then the numbers start draining. I think Apple puts it there to make people feel good about themselves, but it's pretty obvious what they're doing.
Haha, yeah, coming from Android, this always kind of bugs me. My phone will stay at 100% for over 5 hours sometimes and then start draining after that. I mean, obviously the moment you unplug the phone, the battery begins discharging and can't actually be at 100%. Having said that, my iPhone battery life (barring a couple crappy iOS updates) has always been pretty good so far, so no real complaints there.

jtimcampy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
1. No, this is not normal behavior for my X.

2. Also not normal behavior for my X.

I forgot to mention that I had Mobile data set to On even though I have no data plan. I noticed for #1, the moment when I wake up phone up, I will have the 4G icon and then it will switch to the wifi icon. Same for #2, when I enter the house and wake the phone, the 4G icon gets replaced by the wifi icon the moment the phone wakes. However, it doesn't seem like the wifi connects automatically when the phone is still asleep. Could this be because mobile data is on and it's "connected" to data so it doesn't automatically connect to wifi until I wake the phone? I have now turned mobile data off, I will see what happens tomorrow.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
A lot of the Behavior you’re experiencing is odd... you should restore your phone and set up as new and see if that helps

Also, gmail does not support push in the stock iOS mail app, so it will only automatically refresh at whatever interval you set (30min/1hr)

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Coming from a 4-5 year old HTC One M7. I have recently got an iPhone X, this is my first iPhone so I do not have any experience with what's normal behavior and what's not. I have the sim-free version (should have CDMA and GSM antenna) and it is on 11.1.2. Here are some things I noticed. Please tell me if these are normal behaviors or not and if not, how can I go about fixing them. Thanks!

1. Sometimes wifi drops/disconnects when phone sleeps for about a minute or so. Wifi will reconnect automatically when phone is awake. (Currently this seems to only be happening with the wifi at work. At home it doesn't do this).

2. Phone does not automatically connect to wifi when coming in range, until phone is wake. For example I walk home from work, I enter the house but the wifi won't connect until I have wake the phone. (On my old HTC One M7, it will connect automatically when in range and I'll get updates/notifications even when I have not wake the phone)

3. Battery usage data sometimes do not show. It will show usage and standby time, but apps usage don't appear even after 30 minutes of usage.

4. When waking up iPhone and my face is not at a position (or "ready") to unlock the phone, and I move the phone to my face while it's still on lock screen, sometimes face-id won't work. I will have to lock or wait for it to auto lock again and wake it back up; this time with my face ready for face-id for it to work.

5. Sometimes cell signal strength is a bit weird. In the office where I work, I can get 2 bars consistently, and sometimes it will even be 0 for a while. This is on H2O (At&t). First night I had the phone, woke the phone in the morning, the signal was at 0 for a while even after I have unlocked the phone.

6. I have gmail linked to the ios Mail app, new emails are delayed by 30+ minutes even when phone is plugged in. I have the Push toggle on and Fetch to automatic.

7. At 100% battery, that 100% mark lasts for a long while. It can even go on standby for 5 hours and still be at 100%, however, after it has dropped out of 100% battery will drop normally/gradually.

My significant other recently got an iPhone X that was a total and complete lemon.

She was able to activate the device. But even after days and days of calls with Verizon tech support, was never able to get cellular data to work. At all. No cellular data connectivity whatsoever.

The phone could connect to WiFi after many attempts, but would drop the connection after a few minutes.

Needless to say the phone went back and we demanded that the ridiculous activation fee be waived.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Generally iPhones would drop WiFi connection a bit after they go to sleep and won't pick it up until they are awakened.

The 100% charge is basically more related to battery power being estimated through voltage calculations and at the extreme ends they are often not as quick to change (or can sometimes be quicker to change like when you are closer to 0%) than in-between.

Reactions: akash.nu

jtimcampy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Ok now with cellular data turned off. So wifi still doesn't automatically connect when coming into wifi range while in my pocket(not waken). Also right now at work, when i tap to wake phone, I see the wifi icon, then it disappears, and then it reappears; all while still on lock screen. It seems to drop wifi, and then reconnect; I don't understand why it's doing this. Previously with Cellular data turned on, I would see the 4G icon instead and then the wifi icon will appear. Now its like: while it's asleep its connected to wifi(?) but when I wake the phone it disconnects the wifi and then reconnects.

EDIT: Arrived home, tap to wake phone, was surprised to see the wifi was actually connected. So maybe it does connect to wifi automatically, but because cellular data was set to on, it was connected to "4G" until tap to wake to connect to wifi. Wifi doesn't seem to ever drop on sleep at home. Maybe it's just the work wifi /router.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.