Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinlt99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Houston, TX
I have read through several pages of threads, but I'm still somewhat confused...so I apologize if your first thought when opening this thread is "great, another person who didn't read first..."

I have used nothing but PCs...the only experience I have with a Mac are the few times I've went in the Apple store and played around on the systems for a couple minutes.

I'm considering a MacBook.....can't really afford the MacBook Pro. Some of the posts make the MacBook sound completely inferior in comparison to the Pro.

I'm asking for a realistic response that is not based on a complete Apple-worshipping, power-user viewpoint. I will primarily be using the system for web surfing/instant messaging/email/MS office. I don't play games, so I'm hoping that the integrated video thing will not be an issue to me because of that. However, I do use my desktop PC to edit large audio files (3-4 hours long). Is the MacBook capable of efficently handling large audio files without getting completely bogged down?

Don't know if the MacBook will meet my needs, or if I should stick with a PC-based laptop....any suggestions?

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
justinlt99 said:
I have read through several pages of threads, but I'm still somewhat confused...so I apologize if your first thought when opening this thread is "great, another person who didn't read first..."

I have used nothing but PCs...the only experience I have with a Mac are the few times I've went in the Apple store and played around on the systems for a couple minutes.

I'm considering a MacBook.....can't really afford the MacBook Pro. Some of the posts make the MacBook sound completely inferior in comparison to the Pro.

I'm asking for a realistic response that is not based on a complete Apple-worshipping, power-user viewpoint. I will primarily be using the system for web surfing/instant messaging/email/MS office. I don't play games, so I'm hoping that the integrated video thing will not be an issue to me because of that. However, I do use my desktop PC to edit large audio files (3-4 hours long). Is the MacBook capable of efficently handling large audio files without getting completely bogged down?

Don't know if the MacBook will meet my needs, or if I should stick with a PC-based laptop....any suggestions?

Mac laptops have the same architecture as PC laptops.. +you are getting much more stable/reliable/user friendly operating system:) you can easily switch to Mac:)... current spec is really powerful for the price..Macbook

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
I've never owned a mac (waiting on these damn c2ds) but it sounds like the macbook would be more than adequate for what you want

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
grum said:
I've never owned a mac (waiting on these damn c2ds) but it sounds like the macbook would be more than adequate for what you want

Yes, it should be a good match ...unless u need a dedicated graphic card, e.g. for gaming (not ur case).

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
You shouldn't have a problem with either a PC or mac laptop for your uses. maybe just get a little more memory for audio editing. Macbook memory is $$ if you get it through apple however. Search around, I know there is a resonably priced solution rather than getting raped by apple with memory.

ergle2

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
justinlt99 said:

For the audio editing, more memory will make a bigger difference than anything else. Bump it up to whatever you can afford.

Beyond that... since the move to Intel, Macs are essentially PCs. Same hardware as many other systems. The big difference is with a Mac you get MacOS X, which means a different user experience. From limited use, it's one I prefer, but that purely opinion.

If you've already got a copy of Windows XP, you can even install that on the MacBook, which mitigates quite a lot of the risk, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.