Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
I'm 3 weeks into transitioning from Windows - I have an M2 mini and got a Mac Air yesterday. I'm trying to avoid multiple drives and cables so:

I use iDrive for online backup and have a dedicated drive on the Mini to run Time Machine. I plan to add the MB Air to iDrive, but can you do this on a Macs:

Get a large HDD, and partition it? My thought 4 partitions - 2 data partitions for the two computers and 2 time machine partitions.

Can you do this? Is there a better way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'm 3 weeks into transitioning from Windows - I have an M2 mini and got a Mac Air yesterday. I'm trying to avoid multiple drives and cables so:

I use iDrive for online backup and have a dedicated drive on the Mini to run Time Machine. I plan to add the MB Air to iDrive, but can you do this on a Macs:

Get a large HDD, and partition it? My thought 4 partitions - 2 data partitions for the two computers and 2 time machine partitions.

Can you do this? Is there a better way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I drive or iCloud isn't a back up its just a syncing service.

I have a setup like yours.

my mini keeps all files downloaded from the cloud and also all my photos locally and I then use time machine to back up these files to the external drive. the problem with files in the cloud is, if you don't have enough storage then it won't be downloaded locally and then you won't be able to back it up with time machine.

my laptop doesn't have enough storage so I just set it up for optimised media so it doesn't download all my iCloud files and photos.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
I drive or iCloud isn't a back up its just a syncing service.

I have a setup like yours.

my mini keeps all files downloaded from the cloud and also all my photos locally and I then use time machine to back up these files to the external drive. the problem with files in the cloud is, if you don't have enough storage then it won't be downloaded locally and then you won't be able to back it up with time machine.

my laptop doesn't have enough storage so I just set it up for optimised media so it doesn't download all my iCloud files and photos.
Thanks for the reply.

iDrive (not Onedrive) does have sync capability if I recall correctly, but I don't use it. I pay $80/yr for 5 TB and can backup as many devices as I like - I think I have 5 now. Everything is separate by device and if I delete a file on a device, it stays on iDrive until I run a cleanup to re-sync everything. Saved me a couple of times.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Not a recommended backup strategy.

A back-up (in this case Time Machine) should be a different physical device than the data that is being backed up.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
Not a recommended backup strategy.

A back-up (in this case Time Machine) should be a different physical device than the data that is being backed up.
Good point I did not consider.

iDrive let's you backup external drives - so I could backup the partition with the time machine files. I run cloud backups every night on all my devices. Does this sound like a low risk option?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You could partition an external drive and use it for two separate backups.

I would not put any other partitions onto this drive (i.e, "for data").
Keep it "backup only".

How I would do it:
a. connect the drive that's going to become the backup
b. open disk utility
c. go to the "view" menu and choose "show all devices"
d. erase the ENTIRE drive to "Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format" (this is temporary)
e. select the "partition" pane
f. click the "+" sign to add a new partition (disk utility may "split" the drive into two equally-sized pieces, might be good enough)
g give the new partition a meaningful name (such as "Mini Backup"). It should be "Mac OS extended", also (for now).
h. when done, you should have two drive icons on the desktop. You could rename the other partition, say, "MacBook Backup".

We're not done yet.
1. still in disk utility, select the first partition
2. go to the "edit" menu and choose "Convert to APFS"
3. when this is done, select the second partition
4. again, go to the "edit" menu and choose "Convert to APFS".

Quit disk utility and the drive is ready to use.

Others will say "all this wasn't necessary", but (speaking for myself) I WANT two "hard" partitions, and NOT "APFS containers"...

Reactions: etbull

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
You could partition an external drive and use it for two separate backups.

I would not put any other partitions onto this drive (i.e, "for data").
Keep it "backup only".

How I would do it:
a. connect the drive that's going to become the backup
b. open disk utility
c. go to the "view" menu and choose "show all devices"
d. erase the ENTIRE drive to "Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format" (this is temporary)
e. select the "partition" pane
f. click the "+" sign to add a new partition (disk utility may "split" the drive into two equally-sized pieces, might be good enough)
g give the new partition a meaningful name (such as "Mini Backup"). It should be "Mac OS extended", also (for now).
h. when done, you should have two drive icons on the desktop. You could rename the other partition, say, "MacBook Backup".

We're not done yet.
1. still in disk utility, select the first partition
2. go to the "edit" menu and choose "Convert to APFS"
3. when this is done, select the second partition
4. again, go to the "edit" menu and choose "Convert to APFS".

Quit disk utility and the drive is ready to use.

Others will say "all this wasn't necessary", but (speaking for myself) I WANT two "hard" partitions, and NOT "APFS containers"...
Fishrrman,

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the time you took to provide such detailed steps - even a Mac newbie like me can follow them. This solves my question.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not sure you need 2 Time Machine partitions, IIRC TM creates separate folders for each Mac.
For online backup, I use ARQ to encrypt and OneDrive to store the backups. For my Documents, I use Carbon Copy Cloner to save to an attached SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.