Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrickzander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I've been on Windows for awhile, hated it. Loving OS X. A few questions though.

You know on Windows they have things like Disk Defragmenter and what not. Now, does OS X have that or not? Or anything I can use to make sure no usless files are on the harddrive.

Thanks for the help.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You don't need to defrag your hard drive...it does it on the fly, moving blocks around to keep things neat. No intervention needed by you.

Aren't Macs great? :D

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Hey there, I've been using Windows for about 6 years now and i used to had having to defragment all the time, and doing spyware scans etc... but with Mac OS OX - There is no need for that :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Yeah there's no need to defrag at all. Though I would recommend repairing permissions every so often. You can do this in Disk Utilities in the Utilities folder. It just keeps things clean after you've installed programs.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
max_altitude said:
Yeah there's no need to defrag at all. Though I would recommend repairing permissions every so often. You can do this in Disk Utilities in the Utilities folder. It just keeps things clean after you've installed programs.

Yeah, repair permissions before and after a Software Update and when installing apps.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I've never really paid much attention to repairing permissions. I've done it on occasion when I've had a glitch, but I'll take the advice here and put it on my to-do list given that I've just done the 10.4.4 update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.