Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heabrook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Colorado
Hi

I just purchased a Mac a few months ago and never really used one before that.
I download a collection of icons for the Dashboard, but I don't know how to change the icons for the dashboard.. Do you need a program to do so?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Can you explain a little more? Did you download new dashboard widgets, or are you trying to put new icons on widgets you already have, or ... ?

heabrook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Colorado
I downloaded icons to change the icon of the actual dashboard icon itself, the little black dial icon. The file forms are .icns
but I also want to change the icons that are on the dock, like the safari icon, the iTunes icon etc...

xagoldsteinx

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2005
why would you do that? like honestly, it can only lead to bad things happenning. the last time i screwed around with icons was on my G3 tower and i installed a desktop background changer. the last thing i saw on that monitor was a kitten looking at me, then it bombed. for good.

but, if you must do so,

http://www.xicons.com

all info is there.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
If you have the icons already, simply copy the icon you'd like to use. Then go to Applications in your HD and click once on the application whose icon you want to change. After clicking once, use Apple+I (to Get Info). Highlight the icon in the upper left of the "X Info" box by clicking once and choose Apple+V to paste your new icon in the old icon's place.

Then attach a picture of your dock in the Post Your Dock thread! :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I don't think you'll be able to change the appearance of Dashboard widgets. Those aren't icons, they are tiny User Interfaces - similar to very little programs.

EDIT - didn't read your second post, yeah, that can be done somehow to the black icon. Don't know why you'd do it though, I only ever see it for a split second before Dashboard installs it and tucks it away in the Library somewhere.

I'd steer clear of doing too much customisation, you can end up with something that will make your whole system act weird if you aren't careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.