Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCBerkshire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2021
So, I read comic books on my iPad by syncing folders containing images from an established directory on my desktop. When I did this from my Windows machine, the pages would show up on my iPad in numerical order, meaning, the files on my desktop were named as such: image01, image02, image03, etc. and they would sync to my ipad in the correct order. However, I’ve just purchased a Mac Mini and am using a Mac for the first time. I am finding that when I sync the image folders now, they show up on my iPad, only the pages are no longer in numerical order.

is there a way to sort the image files so that they appear on my iPad in the correct order?

I’m completely new to Mac machines, so please forgive my ignorance, and I appreciate any and all help in this matter!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You might try using Photos on the Mac. Create an album, add the pictures to it. You then can arrange in the order you wish. Sync.

Otherwise, the images will be put into date order (Appears to be timestamp in the file's metadata: I would need to verify that on my Mac).

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
So, I read comic books on my iPad by syncing folders containing images from an established directory on my desktop. When I did this from my Windows machine, the pages would show up on my iPad in numerical order, meaning, the files on my desktop were named as such: image01, image02, image03, etc. and they would sync to my ipad in the correct order. However, I’ve just purchased a Mac Mini and am using a Mac for the first time. I am finding that when I sync the image folders now, they show up on my iPad, only the pages are no longer in numerical order.

is there a way to sort the image files so that they appear on my iPad in the correct order?

I’m completely new to Mac machines, so please forgive my ignorance, and I appreciate any and all help in this matter!
Have you tried changing the "sort by" option in the Files app?

BCBerkshire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2021
You might try using Photos on the Mac. Create an album, add the pictures to it. You then can arrange in the order you wish. Sync.

Otherwise, the images will be put into date order (Appears to be timestamp in the file's metadata: I would need to verify that on my Mac).
Is there a way to sync folders and albums both?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Is there a way to sync folders and albums both?

Not that I can recall. One or the other.

Just did a small test. Appears to be a bug in iPadOS. I can sync an album from Photos app/library to iOS and iPadOS in correct order. If I import from a folder that's in a sequential order, iPhone works as expected, iPad orders the images on "date taken" field.

Yes, that sorts the files on my Mac, but not on the iPad when synced.
What you can do is use iCloud. Make a folder on there, copy your files to there. Within iOS Files app, will see the files in correct order (or once you set it up to view by name ascending).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.