Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdangelo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hi all!

I am kinda new to the mac world, but i just bought a new macbook pro.

I have like 15 home movies on VHS that i would like to transfer to DVD's. Can i do this through my computer? If so, how do i do it? I don't mind if it takes a while, i have time. Thanks all

Jason

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
you would need to get some sort of hardware adapter that will allow you to connect a vcr to the computer... there are several of these.

the formac studio is one

you could get an elgato eyetv and connect that way as well as getting tv viewing capability on your machine if that's a bonus at all.

these things aren't super cheap, and i'd recommend elgato over the formac (i've had both...) there are a few other options. i believe something called the hollywood dv or something... search here, and also search macmall or something like that.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
If you have a digital camcorder with a pass-through function (a/d conversion) you can use that to import (pass) video to iMovie in DV format. Be aware, however, that DV files will be quite large (20MB for 1 hour I think). You can use iMovie to edit your movie as desired, and then use iDVD to create a DVD of your video. Of course there are many other solutions, but this is the simplest.

hikingnclimbing

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Gorham, ME
Jdangelo said:
Hi all!

I am kinda new to the mac world, but i just bought a new macbook pro.

I have like 15 home movies on VHS that i would like to transfer to DVD's. Can i do this through my computer? If so, how do i do it? I don't mind if it takes a while, i have time. Thanks all

Jason

Or just buy a VCR/DVD-R dual deck. It's easier and likely cheaper in the long run. I just bought my Mom a Panasonic one and she loves it.

I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but I couldn't help but bring it up. :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
danny_w said:
If you have a digital camcorder with a pass-through function (a/d conversion) you can use that to import (pass) video to iMovie in DV format. Be aware, however, that DV files will be quite large (20MB for 1 hour I think). You can use iMovie to edit your movie as desired, and then use iDVD to create a DVD of your video. Of course there are many other solutions, but this is the simplest.

that's a good option too. i never think of that because i never had a camera that had that feature.

also, dv is around 12-13 GB for an hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.