Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ateganda29

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
hello everyone. as you will see on my title, i'm new to the world of apple and enjoying myself. i purchased an iMac and mobileme service a few months back but i haven't gotten around to be fully proficient with my iMac and using it to its full potential. i finally signed up with mobileme service to sync my mail, contacts, calendar, and iphone. i know from reading different sites that mobileme has had syncing issues ever since it was released but i'm not sure if it has been fixed since then. here's my scenario:

when i make a change on my calendar or contacts on the mobileme website or my iphone, the push/sync to the other is almost instantaneous. but i can't say the same for my iMac. the change shows a lot longer on my iMac. and when i make a change on iCal or AddressBook on my iMac, the change also takes a lot longer to show up on my iphone and mobileme website. is that normal? this morning, i updated some contacts on the mobileme website, added birthdays for some folks. checked my iphone and the changes have been pushed. however, the birthdays are still not showing up on my birthday calendar on my iphone or mobileme website. i found out that it will only appears on your birthday calendar if those information are on your iCal. so it's safe to assume that the information has not been pushed/synced to my iMac at home. do the push/sync happen even if your iMac is asleep?

prss14

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2009
Kentucky
Welcome to the Apple arena. I think you will continue to like it. When you set up your MM in system preferences did you make sure "Synchronize with MobileMe" is set to "Automatic". That can make a difference. Also, it may just be my experience, but of the 2 Macs I have synced with MM my MBP syncs much faster than my eMac at work. Now the eMac is much older, but that shouldn't make a difference in my opinion. My iPhone also syncs faster than the eMac. I don't know. As long as everything is still syncing I am ok if they are at different speeds. Also, I am pretty sure that MM doesn't sync when you computer is in sleep mode. Hope some of that helps.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
You can add the mobileme sync icon to the menu bar on your iMac if you're not seeing the changes. This can allow you to manually sync.

Personally I have never had sync issues with MobileMe. I've always found that it works amazing, even since its inception.

ateganda29

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
thanks for the welcome and your replies. fortunately, mobileme has been working beautifully for me after that first day. i guess it needed to warm up or something. heehee. also, thanks UngratefulNinja for the heads up that birthday calendars do not sync OTA. i just unchecked the box on iCal and mobileme about displaying the birthday calendar. hopefully that will get fixed in OS 4.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I've had my mobile me for less than a week and so impressed. I just done a test and added a contact via my macbook and then hit sync and was on my iphone in seconds.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
sync and push

I don't think a MAC is setup for PUSH which is how the sync occurs nearly instantaneously with the iphone. My MBP and iphone and imac are all on the same ecosystem but the IMAC only GETS the info with a mobileme sync which it does only at set intervals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.