Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
1. I notice a slight increase in noise coming from the harddrive when i scroll through the dock, is this normal?

2. How the heck do i use expose on my 15" pb? I know you are supposed to press F9 but it wont work because it is a function key that is used for something else.

3. The text on this screen seems to be a little soft (ie fuzzy), is there any way to remedy this?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
1. Not really sure- it's probably fine. Do you have the magnification effect on?

2. To use the F9 key instead of the turn-keyboard-lighting-down key, you hold the Fn key (bottom left) and press F9. You can remap these keys in the keyboard preference pane as well as the expose pane.

3. Do you mean in a certain app. or just in general? What resolution are you running (look under the display pref. pane).

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
i mean just in general, the text just isn't as sharp as it was on my old crappy dell. I hope this isn't due to the horizontal line issue. I know I have it but i was willing to ignore it since the screen is still better than the 12" with them.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Anthony8720 said:
1. I notice a slight increase in noise coming from the harddrive when i scroll through the dock, is this normal?

2. How the heck do i use expose on my 15" pb? I know you are supposed to press F9 but it wont work because it is a function key that is used for something else.

3. The text on this screen seems to be a little soft (ie fuzzy), is there any way to remedy this?

2 - You can also set one corner of your screen as a hotcorner to enable expose.

I set dashboard to top left, expose to bottom left, and show desktop to bottom right.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Anthony8720 said:

Go to Sys Prefs -> Display and ensure that the resolution is set correctly. I think 1440x960 is the recommended res for a 15" PB.

Applespider

macrumors G4
You can choose whether to have the function keys act as Powerbook brightness/volume etc and use the fn key plus f9 for Exposé or you can do it vice versa, hold down the fn key plus whatever for brightness/volume and just plain F9 for Exposé. I came to the conclusion that I used Exposé more than I changed the volume so I did the second.

As far as the fonts/fuzziness goes, the OS X fonts are anti-aliased differently to windows. Having them softer is supposed to be easier on the eyes. I can't recall the rationale behind this but I do notice the difference when I spend a day working at home on the Mac against a day working in the office on Windows. That could be the crap LCD at the office mind you!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Applespider said:
As far as the fonts/fuzziness goes, the OS X fonts are anti-aliased differently to windows. Having them softer is supposed to be easier on the eyes. I can't recall the rationale behind this but I do notice the difference when I spend a day working at home on the Mac against a day working in the office on Windows. That could be the crap LCD at the office mind you!

Just to second this...try giving it some time. this was very noticeable to me when I first got my iBook, and over time, I have become very used to it, and I do find anti-aliased fonts more pleasing to my eyes. But it took a little while.

Also a ditto to trying to set Exposé to screen corners. I *love love love* this feature. :)

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
if it's a new powerbook it's probably those damn lines that make your display hazy and stuff
that's why i'm ordering the 17" in a couple of days :)

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
mkrishnan said:
Just to second this...try giving it some time. this was very noticeable to me when I first got my iBook, and over time, I have become very used to it, and I do find anti-aliased fonts more pleasing to my eyes. But it took a little while.

Also a ditto to trying to set Exposé to screen corners. I *love love love* this feature. :)

Ditto for me. (both)

c6viperkiller

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Seattle, WA
Trying going to the appearance panel in system prefs and changing the font smoothing style to Standard. On my powerbook, when it was on automatic, everything looked way too fuzzy. Hope this helps.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
c6viperkiller said:
Trying going to the appearance panel in system prefs and changing the font smoothing style to Standard. On my powerbook, when it was on automatic, everything looked way too fuzzy. Hope this helps.

In this same pane (Appearance) is an option at the bottom to turn off smoothing of small font sizes. You might increase this number so that less text is smoothed, too...

Good luck! I think after you get settled in, you're going to love OS X. :D

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
Thanks for the info. I just put my pb next to my pc and couln't imaging that that was a screen defect. I guess i will just have to learn to like the anti aliased fonts.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I too find the new PB15 text a little soft (despite the higher res). Very odd, and I suspect the horizontal lines as the culprit...

Anyway, If you want to try out without font smoothing - best to use the 3rd party App: Tinker Tool

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11967

I rate it very highly - stable and offers a few other nice features too (like transparent hidden dock items, and a suck rather than a genie effect for minimising windows). Just download and keep it in your Utilities folder.

With Tinker Tool you can turn off font smoothing for fonts up to 144 - overriding most system defaults.

Having said all this. I've actually gone back to font smoothing for everything 10pt and above.

Re: expose - I set : Top left=all windows, Top right=application windows, Bottom left and right=desktop. Dashboard is a useless feature so far IMO.

Anthony8720 said:
Thanks for the info. I just put my pb next to my pc and couln't imaging that that was a screen defect. I guess i will just have to learn to like the anti aliased fonts.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Spectrum said:
I too find the new PB15 text a little soft (despite the higher res). Very odd, and I suspect the horizontal lines as the culprit...

I'll quote myself and then:

c6viperkiller said:

This makes a HUGE difference! I had played around with the different smoothing but couldn't tell the difference (I thought it was very subtle). Now I see that you have to restart applications etc to see the change!

Standard or Light is much better than Auto – or Strong (as I had it on!). It almost feels like I have a new display...;)

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Anthony8720 said:

I used to get this too on my G4 iMac, particularly when magnification is turned on. It also happened when it was doing other graphical tasks like expose or scrolling safari etc. It is perfectly normal and just represents that little extra bit of processing to run the eye candy. :)

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Anthony8720 said:
I use F11 & F12 for Exposé on my 17" PB.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
>>3. The text on this screen seems to be a little soft (ie fuzzy), is there any way to remedy this?

Yes, font anti-aliasing, or as microsoft calls it, font smoothing. XP has cleartype very comparable to what OSX does. You can stop OSX from doing it with tinkertool google it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.