Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viktorg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Google Drive: Yeah, the client is Intel-Only, but you can run a TenFourFoxBox for that and/or Dropbox when you need to grab/send something. I use this exact scenario for Dropbox.

Web Browsing: The awesome TenFourFox or the equally good Leopard Webkit

Facebook: Using TFFB would be the best bet again, as would be logging into their mobile site. Mobile seems to work a lot easier on PPC than the "real" site.

Spotify: Believe it or not, I don't use it!

Thanks! Mobile facebook works great. Do you know where I can get a old copy of Garageband for Tiger? Also Photoshop CS2/CS3/CS4? =)

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Adobe made CS2 "Available for download under the pretense you already own the physical copy"

I'm sure I still have my copy of CS2 right next to my copy of Tiger somewhere.

large.jpg

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

NO, THEY DID NOT!!!!!

They provided the download links and serials to their paying CS2 customers because Adobe shut down the activation servers for CS2. You need to have purchased CS2 in order to legitimately use these download links and serials.

Adobe was being courteous to CS2 customers who need to reinstall the software without activation.

Please don't repeat this 'it's free' stuff. It's not.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
NO, THEY DID NOT!!!!!

They provided the download links and serials to their paying CS2 customers because Adobe shut down the activation servers for CS2. You need to have purchased CS2 in order to legitimately use these download links and serials.

Adobe was being courteous to CS2 customers who need to reinstall the software without activation.

Woops I was misled by those bloggers a while back when this happened and just kept that tucked in the back of my mind for a few years.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This discussion really is inspiring.
Tried out different options for Cloud and documents.
1) Google Drive: Slow on WebKit and TFFB
2) MS Office / Outlook.com: faster but my first attempt to save a Word-document failed.
3) Sharing Documents with webDAV: rock-solid
4) MS Document Connection (comes with Office 2008): I didn't spent any effort to try this out yet, but it is a (still) fully functioning Client for OneDrive (even it the App says SkyDrive). You'll need a hotmail/life/outlook-account to use this cloud option. No collaborative working.

On the I'd always prefer to edit stuff locally on my G4-Books and upload them to any Cloud option - just in case.
WebDAV is my favourite option, but todays try-out of "MS Document Connection" really has been a pleasant experiance and make OneDrive another great option for PPC. Unfortunately there's no sync with local folders, but with the impending loss of Dropbox, this OneDrive option is something that may last...
You will get MS Office 2008 Home&Student at reasonable prices at ebay and it will work on PPC Tiger/Leopard as well as on Sierra.

Reactions: 1042686

mzs.112000

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
As everyone else has said, use TenFourFox. Spoof the user agent to get a mobile version of Facebook.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
NO, THEY DID NOT!!!!!

;)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I only have the 4.7gb discs at home, and leopard requires 6gb right? However, I see that Tiger only requires 2.5gb. How would Web browsing on Tiger work out? **** or ok?

There are a number of guides on the Internet which can be used to consolidate the Leopard image to a single layer DVD. That being said, the installer will require significantly longer amounts of time to install, and a number of add-on package options like the developer tools will not be available. If Leopard is desired, following the instructions for OpenFirmware USB boot is the best option. In fact, some of my PNY 8 GB flash drives will boot natively with the OS X Leopard installer.

Ah - one last thing: on my Tiger-machines there's only WEP-encryption. I'm not sure, if it's a matter of the Airport-card or a matter of Tiger. For those Tiger-machines I use an Edimax mini-USB WIFI-stick which is cheap and reliable but limits data-transfer to the speed of the usb-port.

The original AirPort cards found in earlier portables will only do WEP and WPA-TKIP to my knowledge with the latest updates. The AirPort Extreme cards should be capable of WPA 2 without issues. I do know that some versions of Tiger must have updates installed in order to enable WPA 2 capability even with an AirPort Extreme card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.