Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajmichmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
N.E. Michigan
NordVPN user for some time now. Recently got a Netgear R7200 router [aka AC2100] which includes VPN features. Is a separate service like NordVPN necessary? Or is the router's VPN sufficient on it's own? Aging brain won't wrap around what seems likely a very simple/basic understanding.....

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
A VPN is just an encrypted channel to a destination network. With NordVPN, the destination is NordVPN's servers. With your router's VPN, the destination is your router. By "VPN" Netgear doesn't mean a service to forward and hide your IP address; they mean that the VPN server runs on your router so you can access your home network from elsewhere (you could also forward your traffic through it if you wanted to, but that requires setup on your end device).

ajmichmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
N.E. Michigan
Thanks... ok, hmm, I have no need for remotely accessing my home network, so it sounds like the router's VPN is of zero use to me. NordVPN is still what I need for anonymity. Or are there any free/worthwhile alternatives?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks... ok, hmm, I have no need for remotely accessing my home network, so it sounds like the router's VPN is of zero use to me. NordVPN is still what I need for anonymity. Or are there any free/worthwhile alternatives?

The best known free alternative is Tor. It won't be as fast as a VPN provider but will be more private. What's your goal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.