Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I went with the IMP500; didn't need to have the larger capacity for the iPad as I figured I'd rarely, if ever need a full charge for that device, but regularly want to recharge the iPhone, and carrying three full charges for that was plenty for my needs. It's been great so far, and the reviews of both products are very good. There's also some very good reviews of NewTrent's customer service.

I know the iPad on the IMP500 is a trickle charge and it will say "not charging" when plugged in. I've verified it does in fact charge, similar to plugging the iPad into a lower powered USB port on a computer. I'm not sure if the IMP880 is the same that way, but it's something to be aware of.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I went with the IMP500; didn't need to have the larger capacity for the iPad as I figured I'd rarely, if ever need a full charge for that device, but regularly want to recharge the iPhone, and carrying three full charges for that was plenty for my needs. It's been great so far, and the reviews of both products are very good. There's also some very good reviews of NewTrent's customer service.

I know the iPad on the IMP500 is a trickle charge and it will say "not charging" when plugged in. I've verified it does in fact charge, similar to plugging the iPad into a lower powered USB port on a computer. I'm not sure if the IMP880 is the same that way, but it's something to be aware of.

Hey IrishVixen....

Thanks for the feedback! I read somewhere that the iPad charges faster with the New Trent propietary Magic Cable. I just emailed the company to find out if that is the cable the unit ships with.

The reviews do seem to be good. I will give feedback when I get it.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Hey IrishVixen....

Thanks for the feedback! I read somewhere that the iPad charges faster with the New Trent propietary Magic Cable. I just emailed the company to find out if that is the cable the unit ships with.

The reviews do seem to be good. I will give feedback when I get it.

INTERESTING.....

So I just pulled out the "magic cable" and yes, it isn't throwing the same "not charging" error that I got with the iPad cable. That's really odd.

The included cable is the retractable type, with the lock buttons on the sides of the dock connector (which is an interchangeable piece). It doesn't fit the iPhone 4 bumper--like everything else--so I was keeping it on hand strictly for charging the IMP unit itself. But now I know I need to use it for the iPad as well, so thanks!

I will say that's the one piece I'm less impressed with. Mine really did not want to plug into the provided USB wall charger at all, though the same end fits fine into the battery pack itself, and I've not had spectacular luck over time with retractable cables to begin with because they're so thin and flimsy. But so far, it works, and NewTrent's customer service is supposed to be so good, I suppose I'm worrying over nothing.

Do post if you buy the 880!

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
INTERESTING.....

So I just pulled out the "magic cable" and yes, it isn't throwing the same "not charging" error that I got with the iPad cable. That's really odd.

The included cable is the retractable type, with the lock buttons on the sides of the dock connector (which is an interchangeable piece). It doesn't fit the iPhone 4 bumper--like everything else--so I was keeping it on hand strictly for charging the IMP unit itself. But now I know I need to use it for the iPad as well, so thanks!

I will say that's the one piece I'm less impressed with. Mine really did not want to plug into the provided USB wall charger at all, though the same end fits fine into the battery pack itself, and I've not had spectacular luck over time with retractable cables to begin with because they're so thin and flimsy. But so far, it works, and NewTrent's customer service is supposed to be so good, I suppose I'm worrying over nothing.

Do post if you buy the 880!

I can't stand retractable cables for the very same reason! Never have.

I emailed their Customer Service a while ago to ask about the Magic Cable and the iPad adapter piece. I would want to buy an additional one of each as backup.

I, too, have heard that their Customer Service is great. There are a TON of good reviews on Amazon.com...I think it got 5 stars and 73 good reviews, so I guess it has to be a good product (I hope!)

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I have imp550 and this battery was designed for iPhone and not iPad.. Of course you will see not charging when you plug to iPad to it's limitation and capacity. There's nothing to upset..

Op- go ahead and buy the 880. They perform really well

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I have imp550 and this battery was designed for iPhone and not iPad.. Of course you will see not charging when you plug to iPad to it's limitation and capacity. There's nothing to upset..

Thanks for the feedback and the info, T4R06. I appreciate it!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Yes--the 550 is a battery pack built into a case for an iPhone, similar to the Mophie Juice pack, and therefore it's only meant to be used with a phone. However, as I posted, the 500 I have is a standalone battery that NewTrent currently advertises as iPad compatible. It's a completely different product with the same mAh, meant to be used with multiple devices, including the iPad. Little bit of a difference there. And at no point did I say I was upset at the charging message, since it obviously was still working just fine. Others buying the product at my recommendation might be, so it needed to be pointed out.

However, if you'd read further, you would have seen that Built and I figured out the issue lies with not using NewTrent's proprietary cord. Using that, the error disappears. Does it actually charge faster? Haven't had time to test that yet.

NewTrent has excellent products and apparently excellent customer service, their products are well worth looking into.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Yes--the 550 is a battery pack built into a case for an iPhone, similar to the Mophie Juice pack, and therefore it's only meant to be used with a phone. However, as I posted, the 500 I have is a standalone battery that NewTrent currently advertises as iPad compatible. It's a completely different product with the same mAh, meant to be used with multiple devices, including the iPad. Little bit of a difference there. And at no point did I say I was upset at the charging message, since it obviously was still working just fine. Others buying the product at my recommendation might be, so it needed to be pointed out.

However, if you'd read further, you would have seen that Built and I figured out the issue lies with not using NewTrent's proprietary cord. Using that, the error disappears. Does it actually charge faster? Haven't had time to test that yet.

NewTrent has excellent products and apparently excellent customer service, their products are well worth looking into.

I TOTALLY appreciate your input, Irishvixen, in this thread. Glad that I was able to offer something as well in terms of the info on the Magic Cable!

It sounds to me like New Trent makes a quality product, and most importantly, they stand behind it. I ended up ordering yesterday through Amazon.com, and it's already on its way from Oakland. :) Will let you know how I like it.

Have a great day...I'm off to work now...

PS Another major selling point is that the New Trent externals look like they are not much bigger than the iPhone itself. The Tekkeon I have is a MONSTER...Definitely looking forward to this product coming my way.

r-sky

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Wow - amazing timing. I stumbled upon the IMP880P through a completley different route. I was searching for an external battery source to use when traveling to Germany (for use on plane and travels while there). I just began two days ago and came across it. I then read the Amazon reviews and googled the IMP880P. Based on all I read, I was pretty sure this was what I wanted to get, but then thought I'd look here to see if anyone commented on this external battery. Sure enough, this thread was started last night.

The comments here are consistent with my research - need to use the provided cord for optimal charging an iPad, customer service truly outstanding and responsive, and the 880 is better than 500 for the iPad because it has holds a larger charge. Another thing I read was the wall charger for it was pretty big and heavy. However, you don't carry it around so it shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the comments and to the OP for this thread. It confirmed my decision to get one. :) I'll add more once I get it.

bhsu21

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I just got an IM880P as well. I haven't tried it for the iPad but i have for my iphone. I fully charged the device and then tried to recharge my iphone. It worked once. However after that the charger won't seem to stay on. I hold the on/off button down for four secs, the lights blink then stay on, then i plug my iPhone in. It doesn't charge and the lights eventually turn off.

Don't know if I'm doing anything wrong but I emailed them to see what the problem maybe.

I really want to like this but not right now.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I received the charger last week...WAY ahead of when they anticipated delivery. This company is AMAZING. Talk about FAST SHIPPING!

It arrived fully charged...but I haven't had the chance to try it out. Even though I flew to NY and back over the holiday weekend, I didn't use it on board the plane.

I will report back when I try it out.

r-sky

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
I got mine as well and it arrived faster than expected!

Seems to be a great device, able to do all it says! I was also pleased with the several connectors for numerous device portal it comes with.

I charged it fully as soon as it arrived and then was able to re-charge my HTC Hero phone with an included connector. (To me it appeared to have charged my phone a little faster than when I use the direct outlet-to-phone charger.)

As for what everyone here really wants to know - the charger seemed to work very well with my iPad. The package came with a special connector that had a sticker saying "use for iPad." (There seems to be another connector for iPhones/iPods.)

I had previously charged my phone, since my iPad was almost fully charged when it arrived, and this only used a little of the stored charge. Once I was able to get my iPad down to 10% remaining power, I connected this charger to it and all went smoothly. It fully charged it, I was able to use it while charging, and no complaints at all. (I was able to get a second charge for my phone before having to recharge it.)

The device it self seems well-built and compact. There is a nice long cord from the wall connector to the device. The connector heads connect to a second cord, so overall there seems to be a good distance with cords (not too long to get all tangled, but enough that it does seem to "hang" off your device charging. I am extremely pleased with this purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.