Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lane3128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that the new TV app no longer prefers surfacing free content that you've already subscribed to? Previously, when browsing movies in the TV app it would only show me content from sources I subscribe to, HBO, HULU, Showtime, some TV channels, etc. This was true of the first row of suggested movies and also when browsing through the dedicated movie page. It gave me one interface to browse all the movies I have access to. The only place to find content you didn't have free access to was lower in the list with new movie rentals. The end result was I almost never ran into a pay wall unless I searched for a specific movie.

The new app completely changes this, unless I'm missing something. It seems to be completely agnostic regarding subscribed content. Overall I like the new UI more but this basically breaks the entire user experience for me. There is now constant pressure to subscribe to more 'channels' rather than finding good content on the ones you already have.

It used to be that the only time I would leave the TV app was to occasionally look at Netflix, it was actually successful in greatly reducing my Netflix watching. Now surprisingly I'm using those dedicated apps again to spend less time digging thought movies I can't watch. Funny enough this has leveled the playing field with Netflix so I've been watching more.

I'm surprised I'm hearing nothing about this massive change in reviews. Anyone else having this experience?

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Yes, so annoying. I now have to take what shows up with a grain of salt because once I click on it, I either have to subscribe to a service or buy from iTunes. Apple needs to have an option to disable non-playable Movie and TV Shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreginNJ

Keysersozeh

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
I can not like this thread enough. I just brought home an AppleTV due to the new service coming out and Disney+. It’s frustrating that I’m being pushed towards HBO and etc. Just use what I am signed up for.. stop showing me what I don’t have or want..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.