Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
I noticed yesterday that under Settings, there's now a new "TV Provider" section. When I click on it I see one provider called "VMedia".

screenshot.jpg

I never installed anything by VMedia or anything related to them. This just showed up out of the blue. Apparently the "TV Provider" setting is a legitimate setting even though I never had it before but what would prompt this to show up on my phone now all of a sudden? I suspect it was pushed to my phone by Apple themselves TBH.

Anyone else have this VMedia TV Provider?

Reactions: DeanL and 1214005

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
Same issue here. and the reviews in this crappy internet provider are just awful so why do I have it in my phone
vmedia.jpg

Reactions: 1204932

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
It looks like it's just a single sign-on feature. It's just an option, and you can ignore it.

I'd wager that VMedia is the only provider in Canada offering this service right now. Typically, we'd see other providers in that list too; however, we're seeing the only option available right now.

Nothing is installed, it's just offering it as an option for single sign-on.

A quick search reveals the option you're seeing.
Use single sign-on with your iOS device or Apple TV - Apple Support

Reactions: DeanL and 1204932

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
Same issue here. and the reviews in this crappy internet provider are just awful so why do I have it in my phone

Thanks for confirming, I wonder if all Canadian customers got this then. I hate "surprises" like this because it looked scammy enough to make me worry I clicked a bad link somewhere. It's also pretty obnoxious of Apple to not only assume that I'd want this, but add it to my settings without telling me, and then give me no way of removing it (at least, none that I can see).

Do you have an Apple TV by any chance? I do so maybe that has something to do with this showing up on our phones?
[automerge]1587643724[/automerge]
I'd wager that VMedia is the only provider in Canada offering this service right now. Typically, we'd see other providers in that list too; however, we're seeing the only option available right now.

So just to confirm, you received this setting too in the last day or two right? If so, do you have an Apple TV by any chance? I'm trying to see if that is the common denominator here.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for confirming, I wonder if all Canadian customers got this then. I hate "surprises" like this because it looked scammy enough to make me worry I clicked a bad link somewhere. It's also pretty obnoxious of Apple to not only assume that I'd want this, but add it to my settings without telling me, and then give me no way of removing it (at least, none that I can see).
I'm confused. It's obnoxious for them to add features (or the option of)? That's like saying they should remove (or hide) everything in settings that you don't want to use. Silly.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
I'm confused. It's obnoxious for them to add features (or the option of)? That's like saying they should remove (or hide) everything in settings that you don't want to use. Silly.

Not sure why this needs to be explained but VMedia is an optional 3rd party service (and a poorly reviewed one at that) you can sign up for if you want. It's not a "setting". It's basically adware and I don't want it. Problem is, it can't be deleted. Apple should at the very least give us the option to delete TV providers we don't want, and install those we do want.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Not sure why this needs to be explained but VMedia is an optional 3rd party service (and a poorly reviewed one at that) you can sign up for if you want. It's not a "setting". It's basically adware and I don't want it. Problem is, it can't be deleted. Apple should at the very least give us the option to delete TV providers we don't want, and install those we do want.
What is there to delete? Nothing is there other than saying you can sign in with that provider, because that's currently the only provider in Canada to support single sign-on. Saying it's adware is absurd. That's like saying it's adware to list AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Charter, et al in the US. You're not "installing" anything.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
Saying it's adware is absurd.

Nope, Apple is promoting a dodgy 3rd party service right there in the settings app. Sure, it's just a link to VMedia's sign-up page but that's how online advertising works. And granted, it did work. Nobody knew who these guys were before. Unfortunately the reviews aren't good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.