Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As an xdev why is the value diminished with multiple payment options and App Stores?
Competition, piracy, privacy, malware…just to name a few.
A lot of small devs have been distributing App in macOS both in the App Store and out of the App Store … there seams to be no technical difficulties today for self ”publishing” … believe me is not really expensive … as expensive as having
a good website online … such as this one. You can also just opt for simply go though the App Store …
Sure you want apple to open up their infrastructure for nothing such that any app can easily be pushed to any device. I can see why Apple is against this.
Big companies, should pay for hosting their apps in the App Store, not have them there for free. Yes, I’m thinking of Facebook, Pinterest, Amazon, Twitter, Youtube, Netflix, Spotify, …. … … gosh so so many. Why aren’t they paying for app review, distribution and updates meanwhile Apple is going after small devs businesses? Whose actually banking who really?

Anyway, waiting for the answer …
Waiting for what answer? That apple is okay with not getting g a commission kn every app?
People don’t share the same concern as you regarding on this matter. Especially the ones mentioned.
Which ones? Epic?
Why?

Why?
For all of the rational discussed in this threads and other threads.
I would buy iPhones the same way. I buy because I think their are superior devices … Continuity is great (should get better faster) … I also like the simplicity of the device operation. If there was other App Stores, other payment options or even if I was able to pay directly to the dev … most of the time I would still probably buy from the App Store … it’s nice to have our catalogue centralized.
Well okay…that is your view. I’m offering up an opinion on what the future MAY look like.

Last edited:

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
If that law pass, then Apple will gonna lose on the lawsuit with Epic for sure. That's what Epic wanted to happen and now, senators aren't gonna like Apple and Google for being monopoly. It's just a matter of time before the bill pass.

It's a good new anyway.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If that law pass, then Apple will gonna lose on the lawsuit with Epic for sure. That's what Epic wanted to happen and now, senators aren't gonna like Apple and Google for being monopoly. It's just a matter of time before the bill pass.

If this law passes... Epic will be able to open a "VBucks Store" on iOS and Android and not give either of them 30%

Hooray!

Though it's funny that Epic is suing Google... since Android has allowed 3rd-party app stores and sideloading since... forever? I know Epic didn't like the way Android scared people when they flipped the security switch. But come on... Android is open, remember?

Everyone always praises Google for being open while scolding Apple for not being so open.

RedRage

Suspended
Jan 18, 2021
If this law passes... Epic will be able to open a "VBucks Store" on iOS and Android and not give either of them 30%

Hooray!

Though it's funny that Epic is suing Google... since Android has allowed 3rd-party app stores and sideloading since... forever? I know Epic didn't like the way Android scared people when they flipped the security switch. But come on... Android is open, remember?

Everyone always praises Google for being open while scolding Apple for not being so open.

I'm looking forward to the day Epic can keep that 30%

RedRage

Suspended
Jan 18, 2021
So when is Epic going to sue the likes of Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony to do away with the 30% App Store cut on their consoles as well?

And since Fortnite is no longer available on the iOS App Store, Epic gets to keep 100%…of nothing.

When Epic wins and gets to be back on there watching peoples heads explode here will be hilarious.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When Epic wins and gets to be back on there watching peoples heads explode here will be hilarious.

I have no skin in this game, and I have come to the conclusion that neither party is in the wrong, but only because there is really no wrong here.

Apple manages the App Store, Epic doesn’t like the rules and is trying to overturn them. They are not wrong for wanting to do away with the current world order and usher in a new one, just as Apple is not wrong for resisting and fighting back.

So whatever the outcome is in the end, I guess both parties will have to accept it as the right one.

And life goes on.

• Love
Reactions: DotCom2 and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Taking this insightful post in the other direction (and I'm not claiming this post is the epitome of insight), what will some do when Epic loses. I guess watching the cognitive dissonance here will be hilarious as well.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Having read too much on this discussion. IMO that argument comes down to how you understand the Apple/Google store.
Here is how I see it:
1) Apple/Google created a marketplace, a payment system, and the tools for developer's to create software that will work within the mobile phone software that each company supports. IMO, Apple/Google should receive profit for the business that they created.
2) Some argue that since the mobile phone marketplace is now a duopoly, (Let's not overlook that there were other mobile phone OS competitors and that success for Apple in particular was not guaranteed), these mobile phone OSs need to be opened so that developers, using the tools these companies created, can bypass paying these companies for their services.
3) Some people believe that the 30% charged for the services that Apple/Google charge is too expensive and needs to be something less. What would/should be a fair price?
4) The government believes that regulating a business, that IMO has not shown general anticompetitive behavior, but due to its size and control, is being anticompetitive.
5) Now, having said all this, I agree that neither Apple nor Google are being charitable or benevolent in their actions. They are both in business trying to provide the best service to their customers. However, it seems that these actions are being initiated by competing businesses and not by general consumers. And from what I have seen, with respect to the overall cost of software, consumers have benefitted greatly. (Prior to the iOS App Store, when was software ever for sale for $0.99. The closest was donation-based shareware. Even the iPod game apps were mostly more than $0.99. )

Reactions: Michael Scrip

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Before let’s remind the context of this discussion. Its is motivated by a set of bipartisan regulation proposals governing the relationship between App Store and OSs/Devices.

That in turn my understanding of it is motivated by the following ….

The emergence of App Stores such as Apple App Store and Google Play lead to a market where these together cover almost 100% of the consumer population. Meaning, within the confines of mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, both are fundamentally the only two merchants citizens have to choose to buy from. Furthermore, both Google and Apple do everything technically and politically(policy) possible to remain so … in cases strong holding other well known merchants, from the individual developer up to very large companies … if third parties ever so wish to reach their customers with new business proposals in their apps installed in the devices their customers use … otherwise they can always in the future open a restaurant or something …

Within the confinement of mobile devices, it is true that App Store’s policies allow, in certain cases, that instead of users paying in the app provided by the digital services they want to consume, they can opt to use their web browsers for payment. It is also true that again in certain cases, users can buy access to digital services on other devices such as personal computers while being able to access the through the app on their mobile phone without further cost.

But there is fundamental twist. Within the confines of mobile phones (100% market share for Google and Apple), SOME COMPANY App cannot provide a link to a web page outside of the App discussing pricing and eventually process payment. Other non mobile OSs like macOS, Windows, Linux, WebOS .. such restriction does not exist. If one wants to buy to the App Store go to the App Store download the app and pay … if one wants to buy to the SOME COMPANY directly, go the company, download the app and pay.

This leads to the fact that only one possible merchant is available in app. To avoid this situation is required that users know enough to discern that by paying within some COMPANY APP on their mobile device, they are in fact buying to Apple or Google, not to the COMPANY. If they ever so which to buy to the COMPANY directly, the they need to leave the COMPANY APP and use another go the the web browser … to do so … without the support of a link that woyld make the process of supporting their decision from who to buy from much more convenient and a lot clearer.

Uff … the situation above is already somewhat confusing but ok. There is not doupt that having a catalogue of all possible apps available on an OS, easily searchable is of great benefit. Both for user but also promotes the device … its a win win situation.

Now to the crux of the matter …

Given that:

- Google Play + Apple App Store have close to 100% of mobile OS market share, becoming the only self elected legit merchants
- Customers are using more and more mobile devices and OSs to buy digital content and any other kinds of goods. A well known trend

It is not unreasonable to think that together not too long for now, these will may well be the only two merchants available to users. The increasing revenues of these two merchants exposed how convenient is to use mobile phones for payment. Data also point to how convenient is to use the mobile phone to pay for anything … yes … contactless … heck even holding ones driving license. Its just the nature of computing in the pocket done well.

This of course if not other devices and OS enters the Market popular enough, which historically looks quite unlikely. Leaving the situation that the only merchants able to compete to these moguls will probably be the ones that are able to build devices and OSs.

This become a competitive problem. Because 99.9% of digital business don’t have that capacity. There are historical reasons for that. One in particular is that there always been somewhat a business model divide between hardware(device), OSs and software … what technical people call the Application layer. Only Apple, around 2009 presented the idea that the the Application layer should be entirely controlled by the one merchant, case in case, the one that sold the device and licensed the OS, and did so with iOS and the iPhone (incredible device and OS by the way).

Now this is confined to iOS and Android devices. But Greg Federighi when asked why macOS does not enforce the App Store has the only merchant considering the benefits of security and privacy he argued that such a model brings, he told that macOS is in that respect less evolved. To me clearly indicating the desire of Apple to do so also in macOS if not some technical problems yet the solve … maybe.

This is a fundamental shift in the role of the device, the OS and the application layer along with the business model around each … supporting the future of computing ... supporting the next generation of the modern digital society. By doing so, the shift basically removed the digital business innovator power over how it gets payed, for how much (yes there is a base price by there are are also promos, vouchers, bulk sales so on and so forth that aren’t covered by these App Store policies). A degree in business economics is not required to understand how such power runs deep into anyones business model as such crucial to competition … heck if proliferated to most if all sectors of computing a fundamental reorganimation of the digital economy/market … at least for the consumer … the citizens.

Uff. With this understanding from were I come from let’s debate your assement:

Competition, piracy, privacy, malware…just to name a few.

1. In what way Competition is better fostered within a world of One or Two Merchants to rule all other businesses business models compared to a world of multiple multiple merchants where each merchant/company chooses what business model to persue, down to self “publishing”? Much like we currently have outside the mobile space but its clearly being challenged the the later hence why regulators all over the world are looking at it.

2. Piracy. In what way choosing Apple App Store or Google Store reduces piracy when compared to choosing some other App Store, or a service of a dev that decides to self publish (it has his own store)?

4. Privacy: Two notes.

Note1: As you can imagine people don’t only use their mobile phones to provide contact information and pay for digital goods. They also do to order food, buying clothes, buying tickets, pay taxi ride, playing restaurants, reserve airplanes tickers … so many. So in what way there is a higher security and privacy risk in buying a digital good or subscribing to a digital service when compared to these other common practices … to the point that these deserve an ever so special treatment? This all debate look very much like cherry picking which business Apple or Google feel that may compete with in the future and which is don’t … honestely … evidence is showing … take the xCloud and Stadia … no app in the App Store for those … now look at Apple Arcade …

Note 2: At least in the EU any dev needs to comply with GDPR measure. Handling VISA cards data is not different than handling your name and email. Now in terms of secured payment and billing in what what way is Apple better than say Paypal, Apple Pay, Stripe, … so on hand so forth? Usually these payment processors / gateways charge about 3%+.3c … if you include billing and other goodies in can go up to 5% … so I would be very much interested in knowing how much better is Apple Store do grant them 30% … so would other devs.

So if the customer trust a merchant of digital goods or service other than either App Store or Google Pay why is it automatically less private, less secure, the entire ecossystem is in jeoperdy?

3. Malware … In what way the App Store and Google Play offers better curation and as such protection against malware over any other can provide? Including a self publishing if the customers trusts it? I agree that buying through well curated Store, reduces the risk … yet why the existence of other Stores dangerously increases the risk?

I would like answers to this questions, because all I’ve been reading is a number of qualities and qualifiers and very little actual comparative information between merchants to sustain them.

Sure you want apple to open up their infrastructure for nothing such that any app can easily be pushed to any device. I can see why Apple is against this.

No. That is not what I want.

Given the above and within the mobile space, I would like any user to be able to choose the merchant(s) they trust to transact directly with regardless of the device and OS of choice. If they only trust Apple App Store or Google Play, great its a choice. If they choose to do it directly to say your business, great its their choice, you have won the customers trust to do so. If not, sell through the App Store that fits your business model

I also would like merchants to be free to choose how they get payed, within their apps and outside their apps. If they prefer to be payed through the Apple App Store or Google Play fine. If they won their customers trust to directly transact with them, great too. It happens all the time in the world, … everywhere but in Apple App Store and Google Play marked systems.

So why you as an xdev are so willing to give up the power to choose the business model that best fit your business, that may provide you the chance to best fight your competition, in favor of a prebuilt catalogue of business models that you need to choose from made by someone else in order to get payed on top of selling their devices and licensing the OS?

The reason why I think this is very important is because I indeed believe in a Free Market. Furthermore its a known fact that Free Markets can lead to non Free Markets … that is why regulation is needed. In other words, a non Free Market does NOT make Non Free One much better option because it gave origin to it.

We aren’t there still … but it does not take much understanding that what gave origin to these duopoly was fundamentally base technological advancements … not a dispute between merchants selling digital goods that are now voided of power to totally decide over their business models to reach their customers using their customers device of choice.

No one chooses a car based on the gas station chain of preference. Much as neither the adoption of both iOS or iPhone, App Store or Google Play was at the base of customers decision to buy one device or the other … or sometching else. The ability to run apps by all was assumed, much like the ability of a car to run on gas (now electricity). Ask anyone who eve bought an iPhone for the first time … “Now how to I get and install apps? Oh, it has a thing called App Store …” this is the actual narrative of first time users. A father or mother teaching a child how to install an App on their iPad … oh its the App Store … it takes care of that … no cognitive perception that the App Store is indeed a merchant ruling over everyone else’s is being transferred … neither is necessary at that moment in time … the effects are felt later … “Daddy why isn’t XCloud on the iPad? Well the App Store does not want it child, and that is good for all of us”.

So no, I don’t want apps to be able to be non securely installed/pushed on the user devices. Neither I believe that its necessary for Apple or Google to open their technology/infrastructure to build an OS enforcing secured app installs, avoiding things such as malware. For me this is fundamental a technical problem, not a merchant one. It is turned to be a merchant one for some other purpose.

Waiting for what answer? That apple is okay with not getting g a commission kn every app?

You know that was not the question.

Which ones? Epic?

No. Customers in general. Within my family realm, apart from me, people care less if the merchant is the App Store or Netflix as long as they get Netflix. I mean, they trust “Netflix” (representing many others) as well as the App Store, they would go for whatever is closer to where they are … if it is in their pocket already … great.

Apple and Google know that. Case in case Apple tight wraps over accessing NFC for payment for a reason … as people tend to pay more and more using their phones for whatever.

In EU it being discussed regulation over NFC, including Apple tight wraps as an incredible number of people choose the iPhone, not necessarily Apple Pay. The same concerns in the introduction are at play here.

For all of the rational discussed in this threads and other threads.

Have read very little market rational being sustained. But silver bullets like as justification, if regulation come to App Stores will bring huge security risks; less privacy; will destroy iOS and the iPhone; its against Free Market, loosers gonna be loosers (probably thinking of competing lobbies), Epic does not want to pay Apple for anything and take it all for nothing, Spotify service is horrible that is why, its Apple property, they can do whatever they want. Government hates success … Guys in the government want their lobby rates increased …

… Hum … probably that is why there are Politicians. Well at least some good ones … we can only hope …

Cheers.

PS: This is not discussion to have between a PC Guy and a Mac/Apple Guy. But between two people that stand above that. If you had a look at the technology I use you might say that I’m an Apple Guy by the way. I like both iOS and macOS … for me these are both the best OSs out there to get things done and for general digital consumption (iOS App Store policies aside).

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Before let’s remind the context of this discussion. Its is motivated by a set of bipartisan regulation proposals governing the relationship between App Store and OSs/Devices.

That in turn my understanding of it is motivated by the following ….

The emergence of App Stores such as Apple App Store and Google Play lead to a market where these together cover almost 100% of the consumer population. Meaning, within the confines of mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, both are fundamentally the only two merchants citizens have to choose to buy from. Furthermore, both Google and Apple do everything technically and politically(policy) possible to remain so … in cases strong holding other well known merchants, from the individual developer up to very large companies … if third parties ever so wish to reach their customers with new business proposals in their apps installed in the devices their customers use … otherwise they can always in the future open a restaurant or something …
The barrier to entry is popularity not anticompetition…ask Microsoft.
Within the confinement of mobile devices, it is true that App Store’s policies allow, in certain cases, that instead of users paying in the app provided by the digital services they want to consume, they can opt to use their web browsers for payment. It is also true that again in certain cases, users can buy access to digital services on other devices such as personal computers while being able to access the through the app on their mobile phone without further cost.

But there is fundamental twist. Within the confines of mobile phones (100% market share for Google and Apple), SOME COMPANY App cannot provide a link to a web page outside of the App discussing pricing and eventually process payment. Other non mobile OSs like macOS, Windows, Linux, WebOS .. such restriction does not exist. If one wants to buy to the App Store go to the App Store download the app and pay … if one wants to buy to the SOME COMPANY directly, go the company, download the app and pay.
So what? There is no law today that say Apple is beholden to have multiple payment options.
This leads to the fact that only one possible merchant is available in app. To avoid this situation is required that users know enough to discern that by paying within some COMPANY APP on their mobile device, they are in fact buying to Apple or Google, not to the COMPANY. If they ever so which to buy to the COMPANY directly, the they need to leave the COMPANY APP and use another go the the web browser … to do so … without the support of a link that woyld make the process of supporting their decision from who to buy from much more convenient and a lot clearer.
Again…so what?
Uff … the situation above is already somewhat confusing but ok. There is not doupt that having a catalogue of all possible apps available on an OS, easily searchable is of great benefit. Both for user but also works as a showcase over hoe powerfull the device they bought is. Something used in others OS for some time … such as Linux.

Now to the crux of the matter …

Given that:

- Google Play + Apple App Store have close to 100% of mobile OS market share, becoming the only self elected legit merchants
- Customers are using more and more mobile devices and OSs to buy digital content and any other kinds of goods. A well known trend
- The twist, te friction discussed above between buying within the App to the App Store or the Web Browser … when possible, I repeat.

It is not unreasonable to think that together not too long for now, these will may well be the only two merchants available to users. The increasing revenues of these two merchants exposed how convenient is to use mobile phones for payment. Data also point to how convenient is to use the mobile phone to pay for anything … yes … contactless … heck even holding ones driving license. Its just the nature of computing in the pocket done well.

This of course if not other devices and OS enters the Market popular enough, which historically looks quite unlikely. Leaving the situation that the only merchants able to compete to these moguls will probably be the ones that are able to build devices and OSs.

This become a competitive problem. Because 99.9% of digital business don’t have that capacity. There are historical reasons for that. One in particular is that there always been somewhat a business model divide between hardware(device), OSs and software … what technical people call the Application layer. Only Apple, around 2009 presented the idea that the the Application layer should be entirely controlled by the one merchant, case in case, the one that sold the device and licensed the OS, and did so with iOS and the iPhone (incredible device and OS by the way).
Ok you want to increase competition through legislation…in spite of the fact that popularity not anti competition is the root cause of this?
Now this is confined to iOS and Android devices. But Greg Federighi when asked why macOS does not enforce the App Store has the only merchant considering the benefits of security and privacy he argued that such a model brings, he told that macOS is in that respect less evolved. To me clearly indicating the desire of Apple to do so also in macOS if not some technical problems yet the solve … maybe.

This is a fundamental shift in the role of the device, the OS and the application layer along with the business model around each … supporting the future of computing ... supporting the next generation of the modern digital society. By doing so, the shift basically removed the digital business innovator power over how it gets payed, for how much (yes there is a base price by there are are also promos, vouchers, bulk sales so on and so forth that aren’t covered by these App Store policies). A degree in business economics is not required to understand how such power runs deep into anyones business model as such crucial to competition … heck if proliferated to most if all sectors of computing a fundamental reorganimation of the digital economy/market … at least for the consumer … the citizens.
Ok. It’s apples App Store. They innovates it, built it, grew it. And now Monday morning quarterbacks want to legislate it?
Uff. With his understand from were I come from let’s debate your assement:

1. In what way Competition is better fostered within a world of One or Two Merchants to rule all other businesses business models compared to a world of multiple multiple merchants where each merchant/company chooses what business model to persue, down to self “publishing”? Much like we currently have but its clearly being challenged hence why regulators all over the world are looking at it.
So let the competition roll in legally and not through legislation. The government’s are acting like robin hoods.
2. Piracy. In what way choosing Apple App Store or Google Store reduces piracy when compared to choosing some other App Store, or a service of a dev that decides to self publish (it has his own store)?
Yep. I believe that will increase.
4. Privacy: Two notes.

Note1: As you can imagine people don’t only use their mobile phones to provide contact information and pay for digital goods. They also do to order food, buying clothes, buying tickets, pay taxi ride, playing restaurants, reserve airplanes tickers … so many. So in what way there is a higher security and privacy risk in buying a digital good or subscribing to a digital service when compared to these other common practices … to the point that these deserve an ever so special treatment? This all debate look very much like cherry picking which business we fell we may compete with in the future and which is don’t … honestely.
We’ll I believe in the inevitability of a certain outcome if certain legislation is passed.
Note 2: At least in the EU any dev needs to comply with GDPR measure. Handling VISA cards data is not different than handling your name and email. Now in terms of secured payment and billing in what what way is Apple better than say Paypal, Apple Pay, Stripe, … so on hand so forth? Usually these payment processors / gateways charge about 3%+.3c … if you include billing and other goodies in can go up to 5% … so I would be very much interested in knowing how much better is Apple Store do grant them 30% … so would other devs.
I can’t speak for the EU.
So if the customer trust a merchant of digital goods or service other than either App Store or Google Pay why is it automatically less private, less secure, the entire ecossystem is in jeoperdy?
Because that’s my opinion on it.
3. Malware … In what way the App Store and Google Play offers better curation and as such protection against malware over any other can provide? Including a self publishing if the customers trusts it? I agree that buying through well curated Store, reduces the risk … yet why the existence of other Stores dangerously increases the risk?
Again I believe this will be like the Wild West. It’s my opinion.
I would like answers to this questions, because all I’ve been reading is a number of qualities and qualifiers and very little actual comparative information between merchants to sustain them.
I’ve been discussing this all along.
No. That is not what I want.

Given the above and within the mobile space, I would like any user to be able to choose the merchant(s) they trust to transact directly with regardless of the device and OS of choice. If they only trust Apple App Store or Google Play, great its a choice. If they choose to do it directly to say your business, great its their choice, you have won the customers trust to do so. If not, sell through the App Store that fits your business model
I’m not in favor of legislating competition.
I also would like merchants to be free to choose how they get payed, within their apps and outside their apps. If they prefer to be payed through the Apple App Store or Google Play fine. If they won their customers trust to directly transact with them, great too. It happens all the time in the world, … everywhere but in Apple App Store and Google Play marked systems.
Again. I think this is great for Epic, but terrible for the indie developer.
So why you as an xdev are so willing to give up the power to choose the business model that best fit your business, that may provide you the chance to best fight your competition, in favor of a prebuilt catalogue of business models that you need to choose from made by someone else in order to get payed on top of selling their devices and licensing the OS?
Yes. I’m okay with the apple t&c of the iOS App Store.
The reason why I think this is very important is because I indeed believe in a Free Market. Furthermore its a known fact that Free Markets can lead to non Free Markets … that is why regulation is needed. In other words, a non Free Market does NOT make Non Free One much better option because it gave origin to it.
A free market is much free when it’s not legislated. Government already did that once and it is a failure.
We aren’t there still … but it does not take much understanding that what gave origin to these duopoly was fundamentally base technological advancements … not a dispute between merchants selling digital goods that are now voided of power to totally decide over their business models to reach their customers using their customers device of choice.

No one chooses a car based on the gas station chain of preference. Much as neither the adoption of both iOS or iPhone, App Store or Google Play was at the base of customers decision to buy one device or the other … or sometching else. The ability to run apps by all was assumed,
Maybe those believe the iOS App Store has better apps. You don’t know what people think.
much like the ability of a car to run on gas (now electricity). Ask anyone who eve bought an iPhone for the first time … “Now how to I get and install apps? Oh, it has a thing called App Store …” this is the actual narrative of first time users. A father or mother teaching a child how to install an App on their iPad … oh its the App Store … it takes care of that … no cognitive perception that the App Store is indeed a merchant ruling over everyone else’s is being transferred … neither is necessary at that moment in time … the effects are felt later … “Daddy why isn’t XCloud on the iPad? Well the App Store does not want it child, and that is good for all of us”.
Maybe apple knows best. They built it grew it and innovated it.
So no, I don’t want apps to be able to be non securely installed/pushed on the user devices. Neither I believe that its necessary for Apple to open their technology/infrastructure to have the OS enforcing secured app installs, avoiding things such as malware. For me this is fundamental a technical problem, not a merchant one. It is turned to be a merchant one for some other purpose.

You know that was not the question.

No. Customers in general. Within my family realm, apart from me, people care less if the merchant is the App Store or Netflix as long as they get Netflix. I mean, they trust “Netflix” (representing many others) as well as the App Store, they would go for whatever is closer to where they are … if it is in their pocket already … great.

Apple and Google know that. Case in case Apple tight wraps over accessing NFC for payment for a reason … as people tend to pay more and more using their phones for whatever.

In EU it being discussed regulation over NFC, including Apple tight wraps as an incredible number of people choose the iPhone, not necessarily Apple Pay. The same concerns in the introduction are at play here.
I agree with you that Governments want to legislate competition and I am against that.
Have read very little market rational being sustained. But silver bullets like as justification, if regulation come to App Stores will bring huge security risks; less privacy; will destroy iOS and the iPhone; its against Free Market, loosers gonna be loosers (probably thinking of competing lobbies), Epic does not want to pay Apple for anything and take it all for nothing, Spotify service is horrible that is why, its Apple property, they can do whatever they want. Government hates success … Guys in the government want their lobby rates increased …

… Hum … probably that is why there are Politicians. Well at least some good ones … we can only hope …
Depends on your definition of “good.”
Cheers.

PS: This is not discussion to have between a PC Guy and a Mac/Apple Guy. But between two people that stand above that. If you had a look at the technology I use you might say that I’m an Apple Guy by the way. I like both iOS and macOS … for me these are both the best OSs out there to get things done and for general digital consumption (iOS App Store policies aside).
Cheers.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just read the complete Senate Bill. The purpose is, "To promote competition and reduce gatekeeper power in the app economy, increase choice, improve quality, and reduce costs for consumers."
It is obvious that the primary purpose is to "reduce the gatekeeper power." I'm not sure how this bill would increase choice (except for porn apps), improve quality or reduce costs for consumers. Further, with the push to allow 3rd party payment systems, those "free with in app purchase" apps will be able to profit from an app stores hosting, marketing, and support without ever paying for it. (the current $99 annual dev fee is likely insufficient)

I understand the point that many are making about the current app system. I guess it just seems unfair that one business (devs) feels like they should be able to take advantage of another businesses products and services (Google/Apple) without paying for it.

And I suspect this bill will likely not have the effect that the drafter's suspect it will. Albeit, there is no guarantee that it will ever be law. But there seems to be momentum for it.

True, but as with anything 'created' ,anything else that comes along also has the potential to undermine as well

Introduce third party payments and lets see what happens.. Who knows if they'll be more loopholes to sneak in behind Apple's back because its not "our service we are using"

Just look at PayPal to see how they've tired tings down

It's easy to control something you've done... It's harder when you loose that control.. My only question is: What happens when Apple looses control of everything?

If we wanna talk of being competive, thats fine, just as long we are also aware of the issues that go along with it.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Again I believe this will be like the Wild West. It’s my opinion.

Ok. But considering history actualyour opinion makes no sense.

“Have read very little market rational being sustained. But silver bullets like as justification, if regulation come to App Stores will bring huge security and privacy risk; will destroy iOS and the iPhone; its against Free Market, loosers gonna be loosers (probably thinking of competing lobbies), Epic does not want to pay Apple for anything and take it all for nothing, Spotify service is horrible that is why, its Apple property, they can do whatever they want. ”

The above pretty much up what I’ve read from you and sustaining similar positions. This kind of rationale is totally unreasonable so the conclusion is … there must be reasons untold.

But has you say “So what?”.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRage

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ok. But considering history actualyour opinion makes no sense.
Considering history my comments are on point. And this legislation is a perfect example of Monday morning quarterbacking where it's a lose / lose all-around. You may not agree with that, and that is fine.
“Have read very little market rational being sustained. But silver bullets like as justification, if regulation come to App Stores will bring huge security and privacy risk; will destroy iOS and the iPhone; its against Free Market, loosers gonna be loosers (probably thinking of competing lobbies), Epic does not want to pay Apple for anything and take it all for nothing, Spotify service is horrible that is why, its Apple property, they can do whatever they want. ”

The above pretty much up what I’ve read from you and sustaining similar positions. This kind of rationale is totally unreasonable so the conclusion is … there must be reasons untold.
Yes, that is my point of view, which in your opinion is totally unreasonable.
But has you say “So what?”.
Ok.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Considering history my comments are on point. And this legislation is a perfect example of Monday morning quarterbacking where it's a lose / lose all-around. You may not agree with that, and that is fine.

If you like to rewrite history like you rewrite questions posed yes. Never trust the opinion someone that systematically answers a question with a question and makes disconnected statements. Questions where asked … a fundamental premise of a debate .. none were answered … fear was instilled …. strong accusations where made agaisnt institutions with no good reason in context … as negational as ever (my opinion).

The only thing appreciable in this line of argumentation are … stick with your shares (your properties) … the only thing that makes sense as a justification. Maybe diversifying the portfolio just a tad would help in finding more positive an constructivist ways to argue your point.

PS: Humm. iPhone is popular, iPhone requires App Store to install Apps … therefore App Store is popular … ? Brilliant transitive reasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRage

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you like to rewrite history yes. Never trust the opinion that answers a question with a question.
I like the attempt at implied bias...subtle as a ton of bricks. But we all have our biases.

This bill doesn't, imo, stand the litmus test of a good bill that will make some type of big tech nirvana. In fact it will make a smelly, garbage dump from a good running system.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
This bill doesn't, imo, stand the litmus test of a good bill that will make some type of big tech nirvana. In fact it will make a smelly, garbage dump from a good running system.

What is the litmus test of a good bill prior to putting it in practice?

EDIT:

Yes we all have bias. Put that does not mean that one opinion is biased. You mentioned Microsoft implying it to be the entity behind all this … what you don’t know is that when the company was in the Ant-Trust “agenda” of many institutions I was actually with the same opinion has I’m voicing now. You know what … now we have Google and Apple … the digital market remained open even when claimed by one company 93% (two does not make much of a difference) … I was already an Apple customer back than by the way.

Now my concern for Apple was actually voiced by Bill Gates in an interview a long time ago about the Anti-Trust years. Bill Gates told the journalist that he made a mistake back than. Instead of focusing that much is energies and dragging the company into a process or lawsuits after lawsuits, into regulators ”agendas” and bad press … he should have focused on finding the next big thing fast. Maybe than, he said, MS would not have missed the “mobile age” as it did. ”We/I got distracted” … he said.

Steve Jobs itself, even a longer time ago … when it he presented a joint venture with Microsoft, against the popular culture of Apple zealots booos … he said “Guys, this is not a Win Loose game ….”.

I would add … “its an infinite game”.

Now, this is actual recent history.

PS: The thing of cats is that there are many ways to skin them. The cat being creating more value for customers and share holders.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What is the litmus test of a good bill prior to putting it in practice?

EDIT:

Yes we all have bias. Put that does not mean that one opinion is biased. You mentioned Microsoft implying it to be the entity behind all this … what you don’t know is that when the company was in the Ant-Trust “agenda” of many institutions I was actually with the same opinion has I’m voicing now. You know what … now we have Google and Apple … the digital market remained open even when claimed by one company 93% (two does not make much of a difference) … I was already an Apple customer back than by the way.

Now my concern for Apple was actually voiced by Bill Gates in an interview a long time ago about the Anti-Trust years. Bill Gates told the journalist that he made a mistake back than. Instead of focusing that much is energies and dragging the company into a process or lawsuits after lawsuits, into regulators ”agendas” and bad press … he should have focused on finding the next big thing fast. Maybe than, he said, MS would not have missed the “mobile age” as it did. ”We/I got distracted” … he said.

Steve Jobs itself, even a longer time ago … when it he presented a joint venture with Microsoft, against the popular culture of Apple zealots booos … he said “Guys, this is not a Win Loose game ….”.

Now, this is actual recent history.

PS: The thing of cats is that there are many ways to skin them. The cat being creating more value for customers and share holders.
I don't think Apple is distracted. They have found a "big" thing. They innovated and in 2008 launched it. The government wants to make this "big thing" equitable for the big guys, while the little guys will lose out. They (the govt) want the big boys to use Apples' platform for free. Now whether there is precedent for that, or just a group of politicians want to push their own agenda, and whether this can be challenged in the supreme court is up for grabs as to what the motivating factor is and what can happen in the future.

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010

PS: The thing of cats is that there are many ways to skin them. The cat being creating more value.
Everything just is, what it is. Last month I would've defended Apple's App Store "monopoly" at this point I don't care what happens, it's just entertainment, since I'll be jailbreaking my devices moving forward and running whatever I want on my hardware from whatever repo I want to install from. Apple's #spyphone has effectively severed my emotional relationship with Apple and broken my trust. -- Who's inside my phone? Apple, the US government, h4x0r kids, at the end of the day ... who cares, it's all kind of the same thing, nothing on it is secure or private anyway; it's a phone. If you want security and privacy, don't connect to the internet ;-)

If you actually happen to be a journalist, activist, or someone of political interest, I would hazard to say that it's extremely bad for your health and long-term outlook for staying alive, to own an iPhone (or most any other phone for that matter).

Apple caved in and cut a deal with the US government, so I'm sure their anti-trust will go significantly better than if they had not done so.

Money is just money. I own stock in pure evil like PLTR; not gonna be dumping Apple shares -- or shorting them -- until the market responds in a negative manner (which may never occur. The market does not run on logic or reason, it runs on greed and fear, there's a bull and a bear on Wall Street, not a big heart or a spreadsheet. 2020 has been an overall "bad year" for planet Earth, on the other hand, it's been a fantastic year for my portfolio, because the market is the world's largest casino that's almost completely de-coupled from "reality" at this point).

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I don't think Apple is distracted. They have found a "big" thing. They innovated and in 2008 launched it. The government wants to make this "big thing" equitable for the big guys, while the little guys will lose out. They (the govt) want the big boys to use Apples' platform for free. Now whether there is precedent for that, or just a group of politicians want to push their own agenda, and whether this can be challenged in the supreme court is up for grabs as to what the motivating factor is and what can happen in the future.

In my opinion Apple did not find smartphones. They existed way before the iPhone. They “simply” created a smartphone incredibly better … innovated that space an order of magnitude to be something actually useful to the modern man … no some half baked product that only professionals could appreciate. Not being under the radar gave Apple clear of mind to do what they are best … innovators.

Microsoft on the other hand, already a large mogul, rising has ever, was too distracted being the super star. Closing gates, maximizing the value they had glob throttling digital businesses … creating technical barriers in their OS .. fighting regulators and politicians … changing CEOs (Balmer as Tim Cook lead MS to a great rise banking on SG vision)

They already were in the smartphone space too. But hey … it was peanuts. Innovation in that space was slow as a snail … more of the same every year … little improvements.

The situation now with Apple looks mostly the same to me. Every year more of the same, a bit brighter screen and camera, better CPUs, a bit more close … heck Apple is even becoming publishing and media company … heck a remote gym classes … remember MS buying MSNBC and all that …? Shareholders here and there. Apple with digital assistants, smarspeakers and homekit reminds me Microsoft and smartphones back than ;)

There is one difference though. MS never dared to actually made it self the only merchant possible in Windows. If they have done … the Anti Trust thing would probably be swifter less distracting. they were stopped just buy tieing IE to Windows, imagine a digita store for all things digital… Apple is being given much more slack … by the so called success hating politicians. If they were much more pro success … your current Apple shares would probably worth zilch … sorry can’t connect to Windows … you can always connect to Linux … sorry bye bye. iPhone would be nothing but a foot note and customer would put up with Windows Phone with a special connector just for Windows.

This is what happens when innovators at heart stop leading companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schismz

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
In my opinion Apple did not find smartphones. They existed way before the iPhone. They “simply” created a smartphone incredibly better … innovated that space an order of magnitude to be something actually useful to the modern man … no some half baked product that only professionals could appreciate. Not being under the radar gave Apple clear of mind to do what they are best … innovators.

Microsoft on the other hand, already a large mogul, rising has ever, was too distracted being the super star. Closing gates, maximizing the value they had glob throttling digital businesses … creating technical barriers in their OS .. fighting regulators and politicians … changing CEOs (Balmer as Tim Cook lead MS to a great rise banking on SG vision)

They already were in the smartphone space too. But hey … it was peanuts. Innovation in that space was slow as a snail … more of the same every year … little improvements.

The situation now with Apple looks mostly the same to me. Every year more of the same, a bit brighter screen and camera, better CPUs, a bit more close … heck Apple is even becoming publishing and media company … heck a remote gym classes … remember MS buying MSNBC and all that …? Shareholders here and there. Apple with digital assistants, smarspeakers and homekit reminds me Microsoft and smartphones back than ;)

There is one difference though. MS never dared to actually made it self the only merchant possible in Windows. If they have done … the Anti Trust thing would probably be swifter less distracting. they were stopped just buy tieing IE to Windows, imagine a digita store for all things digital… Apple is being given much more slack … by the so called success hating politicians. If they were much more pro success … your current Apple shares would probably worth zilch … sorry can’t connect to Windows … you can always connect to Linux … sorry bye bye. iPhone would be nothing but a foot note and customer would put up with Windows Phone with a special connector just for Windows.

This is what happens when innovators at heart stop leading companies.
Apple doesn't invent anything first...that I agree on.

As far as the way Apple looks today, for different people, different thoughts.

Apple wasn't the first to have an app store either. But after 13 years, the politicians now want to regulate it. That doesn't mean it needs regulation. Maybe it's pandering or lobbying...who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.