Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dipeshdutt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
This probably has been answered before, but I could not find a definitive solution, so here goes. Please remember, I am new to the Mac-world

I have a MacbookPro (Mountain Lion), iPhone 4 and iPad 2 (iOS 6). I use Gmail as my personal email and my official email is also on Google Apps (which will soon move to Microsoft Exchange). I am able to download my email and contacts just fine but struggling with organizing it better. And this may be very simple for some of you, so please bear with me.

Is there a way to sync both my google contacts with my Macbook Address book without having duplicates? I would also like to replicate the same address book on my iPhone and Macbook. So here is what I think I should do:

Sync my Google contacts on my Macbook using a CardDAV account and sync my iPhone and iPad using iTunes over Wifi to my Macbook Pro. Will this ensure that an update to the address book on any of my devices will reflect on both my Google accounts and my Macbook Pro and vice versa? If yes, how do I set it up and do I need to (should I) use iCloud to this?

I also use Facebook, Twitter, Skype and LinkedIn. Can these contacts be integrated with my address book?

In short I am looking for a solution to manage my contacts from different sources in one address book and an update in any one place to update every device and online.

Should I also sync my email through iTunes? A lot of times I need to use email on my iPhone or iPad using 3G, so will the latest email be accessible when I am away from my Macbook and Wifi? I also need to figure out the same with my Calendar.

Please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.