Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Good point - 21.2 pounds for the 15"

But when you look at it, it comes across as a Laptop on steriods. It lacks elegance and seems way to clunky for me. But, then again, I don't like pcs in general.

D

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax

how about their CD players? i had a sony discman i bought the first or secon years they came out, mind you i was really young then, not sombody who was overly nice to his technology, and that thing lasted me for YEARS, until last year when i tossed it for an MP3 cd player.

and my sony trinitron monitor... best CRT i have ever owned by far... and our trinitron television... awesome... my grandpa has a WEGA, it's uberawesome. i don't know what you have been smoking for the last 20 years, but i have never seen a sony product that really reeked. anything that wasn't dirt cheap has always been prima quality. even if that stupid vaio desktop is ugly and poorly spec-ed out, i'll bet you ot's plenty durable from a technical standpoint.

and as i recall, sony was making magnesium-bodied laptops before our precious TiBooks. apple does the metal laptops better, of course, but that doesn't make them original. [/B]

and how much did that WEGA cost him? and how big was it?

sony may make nice things, but for the price, they're a totlal rip off. and just because they kame a few nice things, doesnt mean that their products are hig quality. the button door fell off of my friends sony tv. then it refused to turn on. his sony projection has to be re-focused every day. my neighbors sony pc can hold it own cover on. my sony dv camcorder looks nice, but its heavy, and has **** resolution. my playstation can't play any of the games it was desiged for. my dicman, whit tis ten sceond sof skip protection, cant be taken off my desk at home, because thenit will skip. my sony headphones can't be used anymore because the cheap plastic cones that were in them daveloped a hole over the cousre of six months of normal use. I'm giving up on sony minidisc players because i've gone through two of them in a year and a half. they refuse to record. the g-portrcton on my newset works, at the sacrefise of sound quality and batter life. and you can turn it off. think memory stick. what a good media format. maybe they could charge more for it.

that felt good. :)

p.s if sony products are soo good, then ewhat weith you saying this shaddowfax?

"but my 17 inch trinitron monitor is a bitch. it heats my room up like nothing else, lol...."

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
it is a bitch. a darned good one. sony isn't perfect. the fact that it heats up my room has mostly to do with the fact that my parents are too cheap to air condition more, and i am too cheap to buy an LCD. but it's worth the heat to me for the beautiful screen. i hate non-FD tubes. ultimately this has more to do with that i live in austin, this quandry of horrible weather, than anything else.

lol, the trinitron IS great, you see? in michigan it could save you on your heating bill! ;)

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
it is a bitch. a darned good one. sony isn't perfect. the fact that it heats up my room has mostly to do with the fact that my parents are too cheap to air condition more, and i am too cheap to buy an LCD. but it's worth the heat to me for the beautiful screen. i hate non-FD tubes. ultimately this has more to do with that i live in austin, this quandry of horrible weather, than anything else.

lol, the trinitron IS great, you see? in michigan it could save you on your heating bill! ;)

i know sony isn't perfect. no company is. however, it irks me when people make sony out to be the greatest company on earth. while there are some good products that they make,
many of these products are out of reach of the average consumer. i do like sony products, i have some older ones that i haven't had any problems with. however, they aren't the greatest company on earth.

i have a slight confession to make. once i get my mac, if i cant buy an IBM LCD all in one computer, I'm gong to end up buying a VAIO MX.

lets make up and stop fighting. silly things like this can turn into flame wars:):):)

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Sony makes several awesome products!

Monitors, TVs, stereos, headphones, etc.

Some of the best monitors are the Sony Trinitron CRTs.

Sounds to me like you lost money on Sony stock or something.

They are great at what they do and they keep competition on their toes, just like Apple keeps computer competitors on their toes.

Quark

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by Quark
Sony makes several awesome products!

Monitors, TVs, stereos, headphones, etc.

Some of the best monitors are the Sony Trinitron CRTs.

Sounds to me like you lost money on Sony stock or something.

They are great at what they do and they keep competition on their toes, just like Apple keeps computer competitors on their toes.

Quark

i don't invest, i just have never really been fond of anythingthat sany makes, and much of the sony stuff i have has problems, or is just shoddily built for the prices they charge.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
originally posted by crazy_will[i/]

lets make up and stop fighting. silly things like this can turn into flame wars

no, pistols at dawn!

j/k. peace out man

"i may not agree with what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it." -voltaire

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
just to make my sony bashing even more comical, my dad just went out and bought a 32" Sony WEGA TV. maybe if i had bashed panasonic i could have gotten one of those...

onemoof

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Lousy product

That computer looks like it's horribly unusable. Look how close the keyboard is to the monitor and it can't be moved! Look how low to the ground the monitor is. you have to hunch down to see it and you have to have your fingers blocking your view of the monitor. It gives me wrist and neck cramps just looking at that computer.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
originally posted by onemoof

That computer looks like it's horribly unusable. Look how close the keyboard is to the monitor and it can't be moved! Look how low to the ground the monitor is. you have to hunch down to see it and you have to have your fingers blocking your view of the monitor. It gives me wrist and neck cramps just looking at that computer.

no way. not to overly defend it, but it's tilted upwards, and you can presumably tilt it more, so you are just looking down on it, not crouching behind your hands or anything. granted, hooking the monitor to the keyboard is a bad idea, but gosh, don't go ape. at least they didn't fuse the mouse to the monitor! :p ;)

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Lame product

Weak specs and too much $$$. It looks good, but not as functional as others in its class. I really don't understand why someone would buy this instead of a notebook.

I think we're going to see a lot more bad functional designs coming out given the success of the iMac (which is well designed) and the switch over to LCD screens.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Originally posted by Hemingray
Although I'm not repulsed by it, I think it looks like a failed conceptual design from the early to mid 90's...

...more like the 60's. a hybrid shaving mirror/toaster/typewriter kinda' thingie.

and Sony makes the worst remotes on the planet for A/V gear.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.