Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: Rocksmith

I don't have the 2014 version, but I did buy the original Rocksmith for PS3 and honestly, was kind of disappointed. Really cool idea to make learning to play electric guitar into a game ... but had a lot of issues with it not "tracking" what I was playing 100% properly. In games where accuracy and timing are everything -- that's a rather serious problem.

Have they really improved on that?

To learn a song I would suggest Rocksmith 2014 or Go PlayAlong.

This app might be useful when transcribing a song, I wonder how well it works.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm a film composer

Yeah, and I'm sure for no "films" that any of us have ever heard of. No way anyone with an attitude as clueless as yours makes it to the point of doing real film scoring. And a real film composer wouldn't be anonymously trolling a message board trying to get people to take private lessons.

And by your logic, if you need an music teacher to learn a song, get a day job, you're not a musician?

cre8or

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
I don't have the 2014 version, but I did buy the original Rocksmith for PS3 and honestly, was kind of disappointed. Really cool idea to make learning to play electric guitar into a game ... but had a lot of issues with it not "tracking" what I was playing 100% properly. In games where accuracy and timing are everything -- that's a rather serious problem.
Have they really improved on that?

I run Rocksmith 2014 on my Macbook Pro 13 2012. I had issues with accuracy couple of times only to find that was my fault. Thanks to Rocksmith I realised that I didn't have to press on the 6th string too hard, otherwise the pitch goes way off. Another one was a chord progression where the 6th string from the previous chord was still ringing but the new chord didn't have that note, to play it properly I had to mute the string, another technique I learnt from RS. Not every teacher would be able to pick up those student mistakes.
If you have some accuracy issues then check if you're doing it right first. At the end of the day, RS is not about points you earn, but practice that you get from it.
Go PlayAlong is good for learning too, you can load a tab and an mp3 and easily sync them together and then play and repeat at slower speed.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I'm a little bit annoyed that this is not an update to the version I own and I will need to purchase it again, but it's a great price for a great piece of software, so I will buy.

God forbid you have pay the developers for the time and effort. :(

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I use a better app than Capo. It's called my ear.

If you need an app to learn a song, get a day job, you're not a musician.

That old chestnut. Are you one of those people who also say that if you can't read music, you're not a musician? Or that tab is 'cheating'? Or that electronic music isn't music? What about gilmourish.com - surely I should I be able to identify a signal chain just by listening?

If someone makes music in the way they want, who are you to say they're not a musician? Why is someone who has a day job not a musician? Purist nonsense.

Capo is a great tool for musicians, professional or otherwise. So says this musician, who plays three instruments, occasionally gets paid for it, and has a day job. And I'm glad I was never taught by someone who prevented me from using whatever tools helped me develop my ear and my musicianship.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm a little bit annoyed that this is not an update to the version I own

That's a consequence of Apple not allowing paid upgrades on any app store apps. Normally devs could give existing users a discount on new versions but with the app store the only options are free upgrade or pay full price. Devs have been unhappy with that for ages since it limits the options they can offer for users.

GEEETARS

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Listen in....shouldn't be a problem for you

I never understand comments like this, but then again most of them are made over the internet or some other means of electronic, depersonalized conduit which provides denationalization. I know many musicians that claim they can play by ear very few can, BUT who knows you may be you of the few that can...that makes this message all the more important. If you are one of those people who started playing a guitar 6 months ago and sounds like a pro then that is awesome. I got accepted and completed medical school much easier then most (not that it was easy), and at the same time played division 1 college baseball. No that doesn't make me cool or better then anyone. I was part lucky and worked hard. But always remember that everyone has their talents. People who are very talented are awesome bc they solve our problems and make our life easier (engineers, business men, musicians, etc.)

How would you think of me as a doctor and person if you came to my office with a question regarding a new therapy or drug and I made an analogous remark to the one on the forum, buy saying something like "I use a better therapy then the drug you are talking about and I called my brain bc if you were able to read and truly understand it then you would be here today"......probably would think I was an egotistical prick and so would I if encountered someone like that.

I'm not ranting because I think you are terrible or mean. I think we all have a tendency to forget how some things come more natural to others.

THE MOST INTELLIGENT PERSON IS SOMEONE WHO USES THEIR STRENGTHS ANDWEAKNESSES TO THEIR ADVANTAGE TO EFFICIENTLY ACHIEVE A GOAL INSTEAD OF FOLLOWING OTHERS BC THEY ARE BETTER OR IT'S THE MOST COMMON WAY....that's called aimlessly and thoughtlessly walking through life. If I learned guitar in Jimi's circumstances, I would still probably be trying to figure out why this metal whammy bar is upside down.

I don't mean to rant or cause a war out of this, but I'd VERY confidently bet a lot of money on the fact that you are good but not great guitarist. One piece of advise STOP saying immature, irrelevant stuff. If you think the product sucks then tell us and explain why...that is helpful and appreciated.
If you are an rare exceptionally talented musician....then I'd be glad to lose that bet. Then use your talent and skills to help teach and guide people through training. General rule is that their is a tends to be an inverse correlation between competence and modesty. As always there are outliers.

ANYWAY.....im going to try it out and see. I'm very analytically which is not a good quality for a guitarist, but then again I won't be "quitting my day job" anyway. Don't forget....99% of us play just for the fun of it!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.