Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
As part of iOS 10 launching on Wed, Sept 7th, and availabilty on Sept 13th, here is a summary of some of CarPlay's new features:

- Updated Maps app
- turn-by-turn directions available directly in instrument cluster
- live traffic
- automatically remembers where you parked
- alternate route suggestions
- improved automatic scaling and zooming relevant to route
- Updated Music app
- changes to library categories are mirrored in CarPlay
- improved navigation within app
- Third Party VoIP Apps
- now including Skype, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp
- native voice calls, with full history and contacts
- Siri control of these 3rd party VoIP apps
- Ability to remove stock apps

- Ability to rearrange apps on the home screen

Last edited:
Reactions: Agile55

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
As part of iOS 10 launching on Wednesday,....
History says iOS 10 will not launch Wednesday and that only the launch date will be announced. Likely iOS 10 launch date will be about 2 days before the iPhone 7 ships.;)

Reactions: bobob

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
History says iOS 10 will not launch Wednesday and that only the launch date will be announced. Likely iOS 10 launch date will be about 2 days before the iPhone 7 ships.;)
Thank-you for pointing that out! So that would make it similar to last year's launch, ie: the 2nd Friday after the reveal. This year, that lies on September 23rd. So, minus the 2 days you suggest, makes it:

New version of CarPlay to launch Sept 21st

Thread Subject Edited Accordingly, title uneditable

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
The next post explains how the date was calculated. It's unlikely to be confirmed until the event on Wednesday.

Apple usually releases the new iOS to the public one week after the event. So this year it would likely be Sept 14th. Regardless, "New version of CarPlay to launch Sept 21st" is not accurate. "I'm guessing that the New version of CarPlay could launch Sept 21st" would be.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I'm sure any improvement to apple maps will be welcomed by almost everyone, but what I was really expecting was the Waze app for CarPlay. At least in México city there is a heaven-hell difference between waze and apple maps.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Apple usually releases the new iOS to the public one week after the event. So this year it would likely be Sept 14th. Regardless, "New version of CarPlay to launch Sept 21st" is not accurate. "I'm guessing that the New version of CarPlay could launch Sept 21st" would be.
If this turns out to be true, and we get CarPlay a week earlier on the 14th, I will be all too happy to edit the thread subject again!

Edit: It's the 13th! OP edited above.

Last edited:

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
I'm sure any improvement to apple maps will be welcomed by almost everyone, but what I was really expecting was the Waze app for CarPlay. At least in México city there is a heaven-hell difference between waze and apple maps.

google app on carplay? unlikely

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
As part of iOS 10 launching on Wed, Sept 7th, and availabilty on Sept 13th, here is a summary of some of CarPlay's new features:

- Updated Maps app
- turn-by-turn directions available directly in instrument cluster
- live traffic
- automatically remembers where you parked
- alternate route suggestions
- improved automatic scaling and zooming relevant to route
- Updated Music app
- changes to library categories are mirrored in CarPlay
- improved navigation within app
- Third Party VoIP Apps
- now including Skype, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp
- native voice calls, with full history and contacts
- Siri control of these 3rd party VoIP apps
- Ability to remove stock apps

- Ability to rearrange apps on the home screen

I have the GM of iOS 10 and the "turn-by-turn" on the instrument cluster does not work on my 2016 VW Golf R

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.