Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Profiler31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
Toulouse -France-
Hello everyone
I’m new on the forum and I hope your expériences will help me.

I still have 2 points to clarify

I have iMac mid-2011 12.2 avec Radeon HD6770 M 512 Mo (non metal)
Monterey 12.7.3 installed (with OCLP 1.3.0)
USB and iMac OCLP1.3.0 installed
I’ll install a DELL WX 4130 2 Gb (metal)
- pre-flashed vBios pour iMac 12.2 27’ Mid 2011,
- Boot screen with Open Core,
- GPU power management working
- Monterey supported

1. Installation of the graphic card

I read that it pas necessay to ensure a perfect contact between the GPU and the copper plate of the sink (because Radeon 6770) and that to do so it x-was essential to put a copper sheet between the 2 (15x15x0,8 mm)
Is there an important marin where it is calculâtes according the tightening force ?
Can I superimpose three sheets of 0,25 ; if I put the 3 plates (0,75 mm) without thermal passe in between, can this sandwich work ? Should we put thermal passe btween each sheet ?

2. What to do after installation of the new graphique card

Is it necessary to exécute all this is described in posts #1 and 14897 ; (look at the description of the new disc) ; if yes, what is(are) the § number(s) that is essential to execute ?
-is it enough to launch OCLP ?
-are there specifics OCLP questions for graphics card recognition ?
-if so and given the nature of the card I am installent which must be answered ?

Many thanks for your assistance

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Just power-up your iMac to see if the OS recognize the card.
If VRAM shows something like 7MB and graphic is sluggish, then you need to remove the original OCLP patch (patched with the ol HD6770), then run OCLP to patch it again (to match with the new WX4130)

Worst case scenario: Your iMac chimes but black out.
Solution: Remove the SSD and do the re-patch on another machine (plug in the SSD as external USB device). I suppose you know how to do OCLP patch on another Mac computer, don't you?

Profiler31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
Toulouse -France-
re-patch on another machine (plug in the SSD as external USB device). I suppose you know how to do OCLP patch on another Mac computer, don't you?
Hello, Thanks you very much for yout review. I am not used to this operation; I would be grateful if you would kindly explain me essentially on the hardware connections ; OCLP must be lauched on teh extranal SSD and the ressambled on the iMac isnt'it ?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello, Thanks you very much for yout review. I am not used to this operation; I would be grateful if you would kindly explain me essentially on the hardware connections ; OCLP must be lauched on teh extranal SSD and the ressambled on the iMac isnt'it ?

While waiting for your WX4130, you can spend some time to re-read the OCLP guideline.
And yes, the idea is take out the SSD, put it to a USB enclosure, connect the USB enclosure to another Mac, then run OCLP (MANUALLY adjust to iMac 12,2 and AMD Polaris) on that Mac to patch OCLP EFI to the USB device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.