Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSafe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Both 64 GB.
What should I get?
currently have X, but my wife what it

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
As someone who had the Xs for a whole year (and is now happily upgraded to an 11 Pro), if you like good battery life... don't get the Xs. It's absolutely awful. I had to take my charger with me in my backpack pretty much every day in much of 2019 (or if not make an awkward pittstop at the apple store to recharge) because it couldn't keep up with moderate/heavy usage. With my 11 Pro, i don't need to worry about that anymore because the beefed up battery stamina is incredible and really is all-day length with heavy use.

At 1 year old, my former Xs' battery capacity was 86% (clearly because I had to keep charging it during the day) which was quite worrying, furthered by the fact the size of the battery itself is smaller than the one in the older X, I really didn't feel comfortable with long term prospects.

The 11, you might be sacrificing OLED and the 448PPI screen, but at least the Liquid Retina is still decent and then you get Night Mode, Ultra-Wide lens, A13 chip and imo most important - all day battery life.

Reactions: AmazingTechGeek

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
As someone who had the Xs for a whole year (and is now happily upgraded to an 11 Pro), if you like good battery life... don't get the Xs. It's absolutely awful. I had to take my charger with me in my backpack pretty much every day in much of 2019 (or if not make an awkward pittstop at the apple store to recharge) because it couldn't keep up with moderate/heavy usage. With my 11 Pro, i don't need to worry about that anymore because the beefed up battery stamina is incredible and really is all-day length with heavy use.

At 1 year old, my former Xs' battery capacity was 86% (clearly because I had to keep charging it during the day) which was quite worrying, furthered by the fact the size of the battery itself is smaller than the one in the older X, I really didn't feel comfortable with long term prospects.

The 11, you might be sacrificing OLED and the 448PPI screen, but at least the Liquid Retina is still decent and then you get Night Mode, Ultra-Wide lens, A13 chip and imo most important - all day battery life.
Do you think battery life is the same on iOS 13.1.2? How’s the battery life overall? What do you do on your iPhone?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Personally I’d go for the 11. The improved battery & camera outweigh the screen and build differences in my eyes, however it is a bit bigger than the X/XS so just make sure you can comfortably use it before committing.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
The 11. The Xs is the better looking device,marginally better screen with OLED and a telephoto lens but the camera on the 11 and the battery life is just too good to give up.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
XS has had non-Plus iPhone battery life (i.e. garbage). Get an 11, and if you really want an OLED iPhone get the 11 Pro.

Before I got my XR last year I have vivid memories of needing to charge my 7+ at 4:30 PM. Not anymore.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
XS has had non-Plus iPhone battery life (i.e. garbage). Get an 11, and if you really want an OLED iPhone get the 11 Pro.

Before I got my XR last year I have vivid memories of needing to charge my 7+ at 4:30 PM. Not anymore.
What??!! No way. Really? Non-plus battery life? 7 hours of usage? My Xʀ more than doubles that. I thought it might be lower than the 7+ on iOS 10 (when the iPhone X was on iOS 11, it got worse battery life than my 7+, but not by a lot.
My 7+ got 12 hours of usage, the iPhone X got around 9 hours, but my 6s was getting 7-9 hours on iOS 9. If we take a person’s regular usage, 50% LTE higher brightness, 50% on Wi-Fi, lower brightness, my 6s would get 7-8 hours. I thought the Xs was a little higher than that).

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Get an iPhone 11 with 128 GB of storage. It's probably the best actual value in the modern iPhone right now and the camera is far superior to the XS models.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Just be aware that the iPhone 11 is a big phone. I just got one from work, and I don't think I would want it as my personal device. Can't see myself running with it, going riding, or so on. This may not be a problem to you, but personally the X/XS/Pro is honestly as large as I would go.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
11. Unless you want that OLED. The Battery and Camera (especially Night Mode) is just amazing on the 11. You will get used to the LCD, it's a pretty good display.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I personally would choose 11, but if OLED is a must then you have no choice.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
Which of the following matters more to you?

If you want an OLED 448PPI screen, then get an Xs. The 11 has a screen PPI that's the same as 2010's iPhone 4 and is still using LCD.

If you want a revolutionary camera experience with Night Mode and the Ultra Wide lens because these two really have shaked things up significantly and like good battery life, then get an 11. iPhone XS doesn't have access to either of the mentioned camera features and its battery life really stinks

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The camera on the 11 is also better than the XS...

I’d say that’s kind of obvious. I mean, this was basically the year for the triple lens camera with wide-angle/lowlight photos, which both those features alone are massive improvements over the XS camera.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 11 doesn't have a triple lens camera, though.

Yup, You’re correct. I’m thinking 11 Pro.

Side note:

But in that respect. I don’t think the iPhone 11 camera is better over the XS as that member indicated above, not when the XS specifically was offering 60 FPS for gaming and smart HDR.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
The 11 has a screen PPI that's the same as 2010's iPhone 4 and is still using LCD.

So? Don't come up with this argument, it doesn't make any sense. Many displays are LCDs still, and every iPhone since the iPhone 4 all the way to the 8 (plus Xr) had exactly 326 ppi (except for the Plus models). It's a good looking screen, honestly it's fine. Don't compare it to the iPhone 4, it's a difference like night and day.

If i would get a new iPhone right now, it would be the 11. I just cannot justify the price for the Pro or Max anymore which is 1500-1600$ with taxes for the 256 GB model in Europe. That much money just for the third camera and OLED? No thank you.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Both 64 GB.
What should I get?
currently have X, but my wife what it

If you're talking about a new XS, I'd have a really hard time paying the retail price or even close for last year's phone. Not because it's not a good phone, but it's already more than a year old and (1) it's resale value has already taken a big hit and (2) it's possible that it would get a year's less support for iOS version updates than the three iPhone 11/11Pro models. The price on the 11 is really attractive, too.

If you're talking about a used XS, the prices are probably a lot closer, with a used XS potentially costing less than a new 11. But the battery will be a year old. And the XS may already be out of warranty, or may be out of warranty soon. A new 11 will have at least a one year warranty, or longer if you want to extend it with AppleCare+.

The 11 doesn't have three cameras, but it's a great phone at a really great price. If it matters, it also has the same DPI as the X/XS/11 Pro but a lot more pixels, so with most apps you're going to see more content (web page, email, etc.), which I like a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.