Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illogicknowsall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I just bought a Macbook last night, and entered the world of Mac for the first time. I installed a few programs, but I am not used to the procedures of installing on a mac. Whn you install a DMG file, you get a pop up that says, drag icon to the app folder, which I did. However, do I delete the leftover DMG file from my desktop once properly installed? Also, can I drag the apps to the desktop, like a PC, or leave it on the app folder?

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
just copying from the DMG to the app folder is all you need to do. You can delete the DMG then after. If you drag the app to the desktop you will move the app. Put the app in the dock if you want access to it. Thats what the dock is for :)

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I just bought a Macbook last night, and entered the world of Mac for the first time. I installed a few programs, but I am not used to the procedures of installing on a mac. Whn you install a DMG file, you get a pop up that says, drag icon to the app folder, which I did. However, do I delete the leftover DMG file from my desktop once properly installed? Also, can I drag the apps to the desktop, like a PC, or leave it on the app folder?

If you want to have it on your desktop, use an alias - either right click and choose make alias or use cmd-L.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Yes, you can delete the DMG.

Generally, if a program doesn't come with it's own installer (some have a .pkg file that you double click) you can put a program anywhere, but it's a good idea to keep them in Applications, if only so you know where they are. If you want quick access to a particular program, put it in your dock, or download and install Quicksilver, which allows you to (among other things) launch any program using keyboard shortcuts.

You can also drag the Applications or any other folder to your dock (to the right of the separator) meaning you have instant access to it if you don't want too many apps in your dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.