Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
New to Mac - was doing OK until I installed the support apps for a wireless printer. The software created 4 'devices' on my desktop I don't want taking up space. I can eject them but I don't really know what this does - for example, one of the 'devices' is the scanner function for the printer.

Is there a way to hide the icons? Or, if I eject the devices will the 'restart' if say I want to scan something?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - the printer was working fine before installing the support utilities but I realized I would get not get updates and did not check if the scanner worked.

I appreciate any help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can move the items from your Desktop to a foler and put it wherever you want. If they are accessory apps for the printer, you can put the folder with the icons in your Applications folder.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Please tell us what printer you have. In my opinion, support for Mac by printer manufacturers is awful. Fortunately, macOS supports many printers natively. You may not need any printer software.

Reactions: colodane

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
It is an Epson Eco Tank inkjet printer. You might be right, it worked as soon as I setup the Mini and a Macbook Air. I still get software updates which is the main reason I installed their software. One of the apps is for scanning though.

I have a dedicated scanner I have not tried to use yet - the manufacturer discontinued the software - in fact they don't even allow you to download it anymore.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Epson Eco Tank works well. I keep their other apps, such as the scanning app. Every time you update the software, it will install the apps again. You can delete them if you want, but it doesn't hurt to leave them installed.

Reactions: colodane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.