Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crispymacuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hey! I've looked around on these forums but decided to take the plunge and register... I am looking to buy a Macbook soon, when the new ones come out, but something worries me... Apparantly they are going to be like super-thin and some people have been saying about how they won't have a disk drive because of their size, yet I need/want one... what do you guys think? If they don't have them, I will probs buy a the current model off ebay...

Retired
May 16, 2006
There will definitely be a Macbook in the same/better form factor in the next few months, maybe there will ALSO be a slimline one without an optical drive :)

Liamf555

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
UK
since good old steve likes 'all-in-ones' i dont think u will have any problems

crispymacuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
thats kind of a relief, I did think it would be a bit silly, seeing as the market of apple laptops is mainly aimed at students and students don't really wanna carry round extra equipment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The (rumoured) slimmed down MacBook will have a disk drive… a hard disk drive. :D

I would imagine optical drives are here to stay on other models for a little while yet, and may even be in the rumoured slim model.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
The (rumoured) slimmed down MacBook will have a disk drive… a hard disk drive. :D

I would imagine optical drives are here to stay on other models for a little while yet, and may even be in the rumoured slim model.

a hard disk drive?? as in with moving parts??? im confused.

i remember a rumor back a while ago where the optical drive was fitted on the bottom of the computer. this would allow to save space (somehow) and you pop a lid off on the bottom of the computer and walla!!! magik!,.,

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
From earlier this year there was this patent filing with sketches of a cd drive on the bottom: LINK

apple-optical-disc-drive-bottom-mac-book.jpg

If this comes to fruition, well, all our wishes come true? Thinner, lighter design, perhaps even SSD?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
From earlier this year there was this patent filing with sketches of a cd drive on the bottom: LINK

apple-optical-disc-drive-bottom-mac-book.jpg

If this comes to fruition, well, all our wishes come true? Thinner, lighter design, perhaps even SSD?

yup exactly what i was trying to say hahahaha.

SSD hhmmm i dont know. i wouldnt like it actually, not where near enough space. would be good to keep it tiny though, so i guess it could be likely that there will be SSD.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
i was hoping that that would be a dumbed-down MBP, to fit somewhere in between the MB and MBP.

...yeah...a dumbed down macbook pro IS a macbook...

what else do you want?

a 1700 dollar macbook with ext graphics chip? 13" screen maybe? doubt it...people always forget COOLING is a major factor behind system designs..apple knows what they are doing.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
...yeah...a dumbed down macbook pro IS a macbook...

what else do you want?

a 1700 dollar macbook with ext graphics chip? 13" screen maybe? doubt it...people always forget COOLING is a major factor behind system designs..apple knows what they are doing.

cmon if u put some little crappy GPU inside of a slimline MBP it wont get that hot. especially seeing as tho apple considerably underclocks everything anyway. hea from GPU isnt that much of an issue with my mbp (well it only is when i overclock it) so i dont see a GPU being put into the slimline mac that much of a problem.

it doesnt have to have that much of a powerful cpu either. would be good.

meh i dont know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.