Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Hello,

total newbie about automation here, I was wondering if there is a way to, say, switch lights from remote if I have whole apt on wifi and buy stuff like remotely controlled bulbs or plugs?

Grazie

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
If you’re referring to HomeKit, you’d need a home hub (AppleTV, HomePod or iPad) and then yes, you’d be able to remotely control any HomeKit device.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Thank you so much but some more questions of course ;-)

I bought a small Echo Dot 5 and a compatible bulb for my mum's place, I plan on getting her also a Fire TV stick (the one I have which I will updated with a new ATV) so that my son more than hers can play with the whole thing but in my case, say, I have an outdoor light I wanna switch on remotely before I get home at night, can I use the same bulbs I got my mum (Philips hue if I am correct)?

Just curious to know how it works, the app has to find the home network then connect to the hub (ATV, correct?) which then acts as a router for the various appliances, is that how it works?

I am gonna check it out, grazie in the meantime

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Not sure why you’re referencing the Echo Dot, and Fire TV Stick but I’ll stick to the HomeKit aspect.

For Philips Hue to work with HomeKit and to be able to be controlled remotely, you need a Philips Hue Bridge which is sold separately from the light bulbs. The Hue Bridge connects to your network via ethernet. You then add the bridge to HomeKit using the code labeled on it. Then any Hue product you add to the bridge will be available in HomeKit. The bulbs connect to the Bridge using the Zigbee protocol which is ultra fast and reliable.

However… You can get the same results without having to purchase a Hue Bridge by using a Wi-Fi bulb. Personally, I wouldn’t go Philips Hue for just one bulb. There are companies that make decent Wi-Fi bulbs for HomeKit. Meross, Nanoleaf (older non-thread version, unless you decide to get a Thread Border Router like a HomePod Mini or newer 2021 and up AppleTV), Yeelight, some others I can’t think of at the moment. Stay away from LIFX, especially if you’re in the EU. They were bought out in August by US company Feit and are not supporting their EU/UK market. Their fate is unknown at this time but that’s a discussion for another day.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Thank you @itnj24, very informative. Nope I won't go the Hue route, no need to add another piece of gear and spend more money, in my mum's case it was a deal on both the bulb and the Echo Dot, since I already have an AppleTV and plan to add another one I would rather follow the route you suggest getting HomeKit compatible gear.

Grazie mille

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thank you @itnj24, very informative. Nope I won't go the Hue route, no need to add another piece of gear and spend more money, in my mum's case it was a deal on both the bulb and the Echo Dot, since I already have an AppleTV and plan to add another one I would rather follow the route you suggest getting HomeKit compatible gear.

Grazie mille
It’s no trouble 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.