Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunzwsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I just got a macbook with a combo drive is it possible to change the combo drive and get a superdrive installed instead. (doing it myself or third party install it). I have an external dvd burner but I just think that it would be better if i had a built in one. Another question is there a way i can replace a screen on a macbook without apple knowing or through a third party with out voiding the applecare warranty. Is there a safe way to do it without them finding out? Where can i find a place to replace my screen for cheap. Just switch from the PC and trying to learn the way of the mac. Thanks in advance for all response.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Why would you need to replace it. If it is busted or having problem, just get Apple to do it. Also, rarely will you need to burn on the move. Also, as long as something you do to your machine is not the cause of the problem, you aren't voiding the AppleCare warranty.

TEG

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
Why did you get this machine if you basically wanted a model or two up from it? How long ago did you get it? Maybe if you are still within the 14 day period you could return it for a machine you actually want.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Why did you get this machine if you basically wanted a model or two up from it? How long ago did you get it? Maybe if you are still within the 14 day period you could return it for a machine you actually want.

I agree-- it seems like you didn't get the machine you really need or want if you are talking about changing the drive-- if you have a non-accidental issue with the screen and are within warranty, the apple store will repair it; they can replace a cracked screen (if accidental), but you will need to pay for it.

bunzwsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
bought a used macbook from a person off of craigslist and i accidently crack the screen. I was wondering if i bought the same screen offline can apple replace it for me under the warranty or do i need to go somewhere else. I bought the macbook recently from the person with 2years of applecare left on it. I was wondering if i get the part will be be able to switch it for me under applecare or not. THe other part about changing to a dvd burner is mostly preference just asking if it can be done or not. I am happy with the combo drive and just like the earlier post state i rarely burn on the run. Its a 2.0ghz white macbook with 120gb HD 2GB of Ram and combo drive. Do you guys think I should upgrade. This is my first macbook. Thanks for the earlier responses

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You should first see if Apple will replace it under warranty. Beyond that, they can still replace it, and charge you for it, keeping the warranty intact. Otherwise, you may be able to work out something with a Genius or Apple Authorized Repair Center to do what you propose.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.