Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
He has a 3rd video out already (no I didn't watch it). He should do a 4th to recap how he's making $5K per 1 million clicks per video. Definitely got what he wanted.

Can you show me on the doll where Steve hurt you?

You have ~25% of the posts in this thread and all you have done is to try and discount a very well documented customer experience that by your own admission you didn't bother to watch.

In this instance, Newegg was caught red handed, no ifs ands or buts. Is GamersNexus making money on the clicks for the story.... yes, but who cares? No different than any other news story on any other web site.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Can you show me on the doll where Steve hurt you?

You have ~25% of the posts in this thread and all you have done is to try and discount a very well documented customer experience that by your own admission you didn't bother to watch.

In this instance, Newegg was caught red handed, no ifs ands or buts. Is GamersNexus making money on the clicks for the story.... yes, but who cares? No different than any other news story on any other web site.
I guess the good thing of all of this is Newegg will accept returns of openbox items no questions asked (which Pauls video basically said they used to do).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
will accept returns of openbox items no questions asked
That's really the bottom line, I get that some people try to scam retailers, but what they did was assume all consumers were lying, as they did with Steve. The issue wasn't a one off, as it appeared that many people on twitter and YT responded that it happened to them as well. It really did blow up in Newegg's face.

I agree with Steve, in that I'd rather see newegg fix this, as its bad enough that we only have Amazon, Newegg (and for some of us) Microcenter.

Reactions: pshufd and max2

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I guess the good thing of all of this is Newegg will accept returns of openbox items no questions asked (which Pauls video basically said they used to do).

Well, yes and no, my feeling on "open box" is there should be some risk that hopefully is offset by the cost savings. I always laugh when I see open box stuff at BestBuy and its only $25 off a $1500 TV. Saving $25 is not worth the hassle to me.

In this case Newegg didn't sell an "open box" item, they sold a broken item. They knew it was broke when they sold it and to add insult to injury they then blamed a consumer for the damage, that is the news worthy item in all of this. Lucky for all of us that consumer had a platform and while it is revenue generating for GN it shined a light on a problem that looks a bit more like SOP versus an honest mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Finally signs of common sense. $500 open box motherboard is a red flag. Then without inspection, taking pictures for evidence, doing a chargeback and BBB report is another red flag. Proactive vs reactive.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Finally signs of common sense. $500 open box motherboard is a red flag. Then without inspection, taking pictures for evidence, doing a chargeback and BBB report is another red flag. Proactive vs reactive.
If NE didn't want to give money or board back shouldn't you do a CC chargeback?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Well, yes and no, my feeling on "open box" is there should be some risk that hopefully is offset by the cost savings. I always laugh when I see open box stuff at BestBuy and its only $25 off a $1500 TV. Saving $25 is not worth the hassle to me.
But unless they specifically state that open box sales are "As is" the consumer should have the right to return the item. Also, New Egg was a bit sneaky, in that in years past open box items were clearly marked as such on the website, as Steve showed in his video, when he bought that motherboard, there was a rather small text box indicating it was open box. That's kind of scummy, because newegg is counting on consumers skipping past or missing items that are not clearly marked. Steve took responsibility on the purchase as it ultimately up to him to ensure he was buying what he thought he was buying.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

Wait, what world do you live on? What makes more sense to you, option A or option B:

Option A:
1) Order motherboard
2) Upon receipt you decide you don't need the mobo
3) Call the company and send it back unopened (all protective seals in place)

Option B:
1) Order motherboard
2) Upon receipt you decide you don't need the mobo
3) Take pictures, open the shipping box
4) Take pictures, open the mobo box
5) Take pictures, open the mobo static bag
6) Take pictures, open the cpu cover and look for bent pins
7) Call Newegg and return because A) you don't need it and B) because it was DOA

Again, as Newegg knew this item was broken when they sold it this was at best incompetence, at worst predatory. Your option makes no sense as the seller can claim you damaged the product because you opened 4 different "sealed" layers of item protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
You still don't get it.

Common sense buyer option:

1. Avoid open box especially motherboards that have been touched by staticky grubby hands.
2. If you lack common sense and buy it anyway, don't be lazy and inspect it right away especially for a $500 open box. Even sellers suggest inspecting upon delivery for damage.
3. Sooner you report to the seller the more credible your story is also to the bank/CC company and the better your chance of recourse.
4. Take pictures of damage to use as evidence for chargeback in case seller doesn't refund. It's hard for the seller to refute and the bank/CC company will side with you when you receive the package and have pictures of damage dated and time stamped on the same day.
5. File BBB report since seller usually has to respond to each and every one.

It's not rocket science and is actually standard procedure for like forever but you seem to be stuck on the hypothetical "the seller can claim you damaged the product because you opened 4 different "sealed" layers of item protection" excuse.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
But the issue with Steve is that New Egg refused to believe him. They were basically calling him a liar, as they believed their product was sold defect free, which we now know was the furthest thing from the truth.

It all boils down whether newegg chooses to believe its customers. Pictures can be faked, documents can be edited. Its really your word as a customer vs. Newegg's

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
1. Avoid open box especially motherboards that have been touched by staticky grubby hands.
No question, but when New egg shrunk the size of the open box banner, to something a lot smaller, it invites an accidental purchase.

Even so, unless New Egg has a policy of selling open box items as "As Is" then consumers should not expect any less level of service with open box sales then new sales.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It all boils down whether newegg chooses to believe its customers. Pictures can be faked, documents can be edited. Its really your word as a customer vs. Newegg's

Doesn't matter what the seller thinks if you do a chargeback and forward the evidence to your bank/CC.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
You still don't get it.

I "get it" just fine, unlike you I watched all the pertinent information prior to commenting.

Agreed

2. If you lack common sense and buy it anyway, don't be lazy and inspect it right away especially for a $500 open box. Even sellers suggest inspecting upon delivery for damage.

Please provide citation, I'll wait. Please show me a single retailer that suggests you open a sealed box to check for damage for a product that you intend to return as unused.

3. Sooner you report to the seller the more credible your story is also to the bank/CC company and the better your chance of recourse.

I believe the video clearly showed that GN requested the return promptly. Pictures mean nothing in this instance as it would be a case of "he said, she said". CC chargebacks should be a last resort as you will probably never be able to use that retailer again.

4. Take pictures of damage to use as evidence for chargeback in case seller doesn't refund. It's hard for the seller to refute and the bank/CC company will side with you when you receive the package and have pictures of damage dated and time stamped on the same day.

See above

5. File BBB report since seller usually has to respond to each and every one.

Probably the most useless advice ever, especially in this instance.

It's not rocket science and is actually standard procedure for like forever but you seem to be stuck on the hypothetical "the seller can claim you damaged the product because you opened 4 different "sealed" layers of item protection" excuse.

I'm not stuck on anything but the facts of this case, which you clearly aren't familiar with as you didn't watch the videos.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Only a sad individual would celebrate people potentially losing their job. If you have legit issue file a complaint otherwise move along.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

Please provide citation, I'll wait. Please show me a single retailer that suggests you open a sealed box to check for damage for a product that you intend to return as unused.

Still waiting for you to provide citation for your claim above @mi7chy ! Any old link from a seller site that suggests one open and photo a package that the consumer intends to return as "unused".

Many retailers suggest opening packages and inspecting them for damage IF YOU INTENT TO KEEP THE ITEM, I doubt you will find any that suggest your method for products meant to be returned unused.

He has a 3rd video out already (no I didn't watch it). He should do a 4th to recap how he's making $5K per 1 million clicks per video. Definitely got what he wanted.

TT;DW (too triggered, didn't watch for @mi7chy ):

GN and Newegg have a sit down interview scheduled. Seems like a pretty straightforward progression for this story. I for one am happy that GN had the platform and the funds available to bring this story to light and offer Newegg a fair chance to explain what happened on their end. We all read their "corporate speak" press release but if they are willing to answer tough questions, on camera, I'll be more likely to let this be water under the bridge. If not I'll make the drive to Microcenter which will be sad after ~15 years of doing business with them. As others have indicated the Chinese buyout has changed Newegg.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apply common sense. If you open an 'open box' it's still an 'open box'.

Post your experience, negative or positive, otherwise what are you rambling on about? Three people have posted they don't have an issue and zero have posted negative in this thread so NE isn't out to rip everyone off like you're trying to paint.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Apply common sense. If you open an 'open box' it's still an 'open box'.

Post your experience, negative or positive, otherwise what are you rambling on about? Three people have posted they don't have an issue and zero have posted negative in this thread so NE isn't out to rip everyone off like you're trying to paint.

I'm not trying to paint anything, as a matter of fact my first post in this thread (#10) was to relay what I felt was an exceptional service experience from Newegg, do you bother to read anything before commenting? That being said my positive experience does not negate what looks like, at best incompetence and at worst fraud on Newegg's behalf.

What you haven't answered is why, from the start, you have been so triggered by a hardware testing site publishing a story about shoddy customer service by a major hardware retailer that they only offered to "fix" after being called out publicly?

Newegg has taken a beating in most of the "tech press" but you just keep parroting nonsense and not really contributing to the story at hand.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like Newegg is making some positive changes after meeting with GamerNexus. I think these steps are great and show that Newegg is really serious about improving customer service
1645299155080.png

Reactions: icanhazmac

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Good, I'm glad this has come to light and they are taking it seriously. It is too bad it took a massive public call out to get them to realize the error of their ways

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It is too bad it took a massive public call out to get them to realize the error of their ways
Indeed, but sometimes that's the only way, even apple has buckled under the pressure of public outcry, i.e., CSAM

In the end, this is a win for the consumer, both from a customer service perspective but also for having choices, something that is really needed. I would hate to have only Amazon as the sole place to buy computer parts.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've done four builds with Newegg/Amazon parts and haven't had any problems with either except for the Newegg payments system breach. One thing about Amazon is that they have top-notch security with payments. That could just be the dates where I bought from Newegg. You can find shady stuff on Amazon marketplace products too (so I've heard). I just have a very hard time buying a GPU or even a motherboard because of the price gouging and the scummy stuff that even well-known brands have done during the pandemic.

I will upgrade components on my Windows desktop one of these days - maybe 2023 if and when things return to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.